Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

FlashTune ECU Flashing Interface

2M views 13K replies 451 participants last post by  Tad158 
#1 ·
I got the type 1 ECU flashing interface from Flashtune today.

Here are the tuneable features for the 07-08 R1:
-Fuel table bias (ECU uses a MAP vs RPM and a TPS vs RPM table for fueling, the bias adjusts how much each table contributes to the final value used to control the injectors.)
-TPS vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-MAP vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-TPS vs RPM Ignition map (per gear)
-Engine braking
-YCCT APS vs RPM throttle maps (not directly edittable, can choose between two preset maps: stock and "race")
-Fan temps (stock or 205*F on, 195*F off)
-Immobilizer Operation (Normal or Bypassed)
-Yes, you can import .djm PCIII maps into the software, the software then scales the fuel maps for flashing the ECU just like the PCIII does.

Flashtune does claim to be actively expanding the software to allow for other adjustments as well.

I flashed my ECU with the "race" YCCT map and used the 6th gear ignition map for all gears. My bike does now idle around 1900 RPMs. After looking at the "race" YCCT map closer I believe it may be to blame. Aside from the high idle everything worked great. I went out for a quick ride and was able to power up 2nd gear sit-down wheelies, I tried hard before but it never happened. The bike does feel like it has a little extra pep.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the YCCT maps and the 1st and 6th gear ignition maps.

Attachments

See less See more
#9,407 ·
On 07+ F-T does that by default. Pre 07 F-T does not offer a flash.

#9,409 ·
If it has been flashed :yesnod

#9,412 ·
@marider

If you have time, can you try & reflash several times consecutively & see if it crashes?

Mine will have a successful flash 1 in 5 times, which is time consuming & frustrating. :(
F-T has been less than helpful with this issue (often not responding to emails) & I'm trying to find the cause.
The last email I sent was 2 weeks ago.
It happens on both of my laptops. One is just a small (weak) laptop running Windows 7, the other is a nice strong one running Vista.

I'm beginning to think I have a faulty interface. :dunno

#9,413 ·
^^^ Done. Didn't have any issues with multiply flashes. Try to reinstal latest F-T software and update drivers.

#9,416 ·
I swear, I hate Flash-Tune. I downloaded Tads latest map and also the newest version of FT software. That went fine until I plugged in my FT device. Computer could not find drivers. Went to FT software to have it find drivers, it goes out to the web and can't download it. Trying to go to Flash-Tune.com..can't get to site to get drivers. It's like site is down! BS! Back to the old version

#9,417 ·
:dunno...seems to work fine for me now?

#9,425 ·
This is why we have this thread....ps, why not just download the software and play with it to see what it can do?

#9,427 ·
#9,429 ·
Tad - I finally got your latest map loaded with the new software and got to take her for a spin in the canyons yesterday. Is there a little hesitation around the 7K area, or just me? It seemed while the bike was cold..and maybe even after 5-10minutes after, while I was cruising on the hwy, it seemed a little hesitant there. But after a while, it seemed to go away. Other than that, it ran great! Idle seemed fine, response and pickup was great, everything. I do have the full Akra setup, no O2. Thanks!

#9,430 ·
I do have the full Akra setup, no O2. Thanks!
I also tried the latest image on full Akra exhaust, 50 miles done in 40F and worked great (oem o2 sensor disabled, Z-AFM uninstalled) - no issues at all. Great work Tad! :flex:

#9,431 ·
Can someone explain to me what the ECT vs RPM Idle Speed adjusting does? I get that its coolant temp vs idle speed, but what does each individual value represent? On my 08 It has a bunch of 18's up top at 900rpm, then 15's from 1000rpm-1200rpm, then 13's through 1400rpm-1950rpm, and so on. What does lowering/raising the values do? I'm trying to sort out some lumpy idle right now.

Also I've looked for hours online, doesn't seem like there's any good collection for 07-08 ECU Images, does anyone know where I can find some?

#9,432 ·
Long story short, they are throttle positions that the ECU uses to set the idle. This feature is broken on the 09+ so I am not much help as I haven't been able to set it up yet....:dunno...sorry....

#9,433 ·
Thanks for the quick response, that give me a few ideas! Pretty sure lumpy idle means it's running lean (if i richen up the MAP vs RPM fuel table between 900-2000rpm the lumpiness decreases), so I guess i'll lower the values in the idle table by 1-2 and see if that helps decrease the air flow into the engine and let the idle settle at 1200rpm...

#9,435 ·
Yep! 09 -14 or until they change the bike...

#9,437 · (Edited)
I want to exchange as much information of my most recent POSITIVE experience using flash-tune. I created a custom file for my R1 (frombase.ftm) and this is what I did, with attachments for review/to use

Bike:
2007 R1
+2 rear sprocket
Full Akra Exhaust
BMC air filter

I started with (2007 R1 - 4C8-8591A-21(Generic) - Pump 91+.ftm) the stock/OEM file and modified it to mimic the YEC Race file (07-08 R1 PumpGas91+ IDLE TAFB from work.ftm). I found that the YEC Race file is slightly different from the generic file that I started with. 1. the increment values on the tables (ie. rpm, input) and 2. how big the table was (ie. rpms high/low). This made duplicating some of the maps not as easy as copying and pasting. For example on the fly-by-wire maps I changed each value for each gear while using the maps as a comparison. I found these differences in only a few maps though. Ignition maps for example were the same table size and increment value. I don't know why they are different nor could I find anyone talking about seeing those differences. If I overlooked it on this thread, my bad. Other things I noticed different are some of the ECU settings and the omission of ETV Idle Comp Map in the Race file.

Modifications I made to the file:
Imported dynojet file for their maps (akra.pvm)
Duplicated ignition tables from YEC Race Map
Disabled O2
Disabled Smog
Disabled EXUP
Changed speedo b/c of the +2 rear sprocket
Duplicated fan temps from YEC Race Map
Manually changed fly-by-wire maps to mimic YEC Race Map since increment values are different

Results +/- after riding over 200 miles:
- Initial start up, normal idle. 1500 RPM idle after warming up and moving.
- When decelerating/rolling in neutral, erratic idle then smooths out but never cuts off.
- When rolling back into the throttle after letting off 100%, seems "touchy/jumpy." (fyi: my first 07 r1, recently moved from an 04 and I'm wondering if this could also be considered normal b/c of the electronic throttle)
+ Power seems smoother and more powerful then ever
+ Puts a smile on my face every time
+ Consolidated electronics (ie. speedohealer)

Questions I have for others:
What are your thoughts on how to resolve the minuses listed above?
What do your fly-by-wire maps look like?
Should I change the ETV decel maps to mimic the YEC Race maps and what would it do?
How can I lower the idle?
Are there any improvements/mistakes that you've seen based on your experience that I need to change?

All in all this is an amazing modification that I have been happy with. On my first ride after making these changes all I could say on the way home was "Wow!" I appreciate any feedback given.

Attachments

#9,438 · (Edited)
:thumbup.....So which image from the three posted above was the image that you took for the 200 mile ride. I may be able to help with the on-off-on transition.

First thing I would do is get rid of those 70's in the timing maps. The engine makes a hard transition from engine breaking to making power across those cells. I would just take the 1 and 2 % TPS columns into the 1.0 and 0.6 columns.

#9,444 ·
So I looked at the timing maps and the values on my map (frombase.ftm) are actually less than the values from the stock map (2007 R1 - 4C8-8591A-21(Generic) - Pump 91+.ftm) I downloaded from the Flash Tune interface. With that being said, I don't believe making those changes will assist with that issue since they are so close to stock. Thoughts? I didn't make changes to the TPS maps under Fuel TPS vs RPM b/c those were taking care of by the imported map from the dynojet file.

Are you referencing the Throttle-by-wire maps under the ETV Base Maps area? If so that makes more sense. I haven't made any changes yet but I thought that would be the first place I would need to make changes to smooth that transition. Just wanted more input/guidance. When I make those changes I'll let you know of the results. Thank you by the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.