Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

FlashTune ECU Flashing Interface

2M views 13K replies 451 participants last post by  Tad158 
#1 ·
I got the type 1 ECU flashing interface from Flashtune today.

Here are the tuneable features for the 07-08 R1:
-Fuel table bias (ECU uses a MAP vs RPM and a TPS vs RPM table for fueling, the bias adjusts how much each table contributes to the final value used to control the injectors.)
-TPS vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-MAP vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-TPS vs RPM Ignition map (per gear)
-Engine braking
-YCCT APS vs RPM throttle maps (not directly edittable, can choose between two preset maps: stock and "race")
-Fan temps (stock or 205*F on, 195*F off)
-Immobilizer Operation (Normal or Bypassed)
-Yes, you can import .djm PCIII maps into the software, the software then scales the fuel maps for flashing the ECU just like the PCIII does.

Flashtune does claim to be actively expanding the software to allow for other adjustments as well.

I flashed my ECU with the "race" YCCT map and used the 6th gear ignition map for all gears. My bike does now idle around 1900 RPMs. After looking at the "race" YCCT map closer I believe it may be to blame. Aside from the high idle everything worked great. I went out for a quick ride and was able to power up 2nd gear sit-down wheelies, I tried hard before but it never happened. The bike does feel like it has a little extra pep.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the YCCT maps and the 1st and 6th gear ignition maps.

Attachments

See less See more
#9,695 ·
So then copy the fuel and timing maps into the unrestricted 09-11 image

#9,697 ·

Right click copy, then go to the other map, right click paste....

#9,698 ·
In other news, I have a question for folks with 07-08R1 or an R6. Has anyone tried to use the gear indicator function? Does it screw with the mileage with the on the dash? Does it constantly think it is doing 10-20-30-40-50 or 60 kph and the mileage ticks up at that rate?

#9,700 ·
Ok thanks for the info.

#9,704 ·
It is all in the FAQ...read that and ask any questions you still have.

#9,703 ·
Tad,
Thanks again man.
I did a track day on your 5.3.15 and was great. I never have had the throttle hang. The only thing I change is the speedo to 88% because I have a -1 in front. Bike ran great. Bike is a monster above 8500 range in 3rd and 4th.

I just loaded the 5.3.15.5 and the cold idle is lower than it used to be like you said. I dont mind actually like it better. Have not got to ride with it yet, storm came in.
You are the man. Love the tunes.

#9,705 ·
The idle issue is only under certain circumstances...I also never saw it at the track.

I am glad you liked it:thumbup

I didn't have time to fit the wideband O2 sensor before next week's trip to VIR so after I get back from that, it is going in and the tune tweaking will start over again...:jump

#9,709 ·
Sorry if I repeat some questions previously made, but being Italian I can not read every post made​​, please is there a guide menu flash tune? Yesterday I installed the new firmware, the bike part without any problems, but I wanted to check how far in advance they put it, and what are the maps petrol to change.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47010980/foto.JPG

thanks

Sorry for my English

thanks

#9,710 ·
TAD i have flashed today my bike 2013 R1 with 5.3.15.5 and didn't start after theat ... i tooth i fried the ECU :scared:scared:scared and then i tried again to flashit thinking theat sommeting whent wrong during flash but samme resoult didn't start and was showing HI at the temperature ... I got realy scared after this .... :eek::eek::eek: and flashed back to 2012EUR1-V2soft-v5.3.15 and bike started right away ..... uhhhhh so happy ..... :boobies Bike pulls like a train .... Your tunne rock ... !!! :jump:jump:jump:rock
(i don't know what its wrong with 2012EUR1-V2soft-v5.3.15.5 )

#9,711 ·
Not to be dumb, I was getting the Hi temp thing when i forgot to connect the ECU. It'll crank but not start. Maybe you forgot to hook it back up, or had a loose connection?

#9,713 ·
Only...if you read the release notes...I said that I tried something and it may not work for the EU bikes...so the results are that it did not work. I will pull the EU image down....thanks for the test! It looks like the idle work around well only apply to us bikes or EU bikes that use the US image and disable the imobilizer.

#9,716 ·
I think he means rich...the map in the image you want to look at is the fuel vs tps map

I think Google translate failed him there...:lol

#9,718 ·
You would also need to make fueling changes...what don't you like?

#9,719 ·
I like your maps ... they are the best ...i use them every day .... :) but i just whnat to understand what happent if i do changes in ignition maps .... im curious ... and i whant to learn more .... :)

i also have a question .... if for example i and more fuel to somme area ... do i need to advance the ingnition and if i take out fuel from a area do i need to retard ignition ..... do you know by how much fuel its needed to be aded for 1 degree of ignition advance ...

#9,720 ·
If you take timing out of an engine it will start to run richer.
If you add timing it will lean it out.
Now here is the million dollar question:
If you are running lean in an area is it because you need more fuel or less timing?
Could be either one. Without looking at the plug you cant tell.
The combustion chamber likes a certain AFR with a certain timing. All 4-stroke engines are like this.
Now you could add more timing to an area and the bike not ping and plug look good but you wont be making more power if the engine was happy before. The more efficient the combustion chamber the less timing that is required. Some tuners like to run more than needed timing then add more fuel to cool the chamber down. Now I dont agree with that at all. I feel running richer is more dangerous than running a little lean. Unless you are drastically lean, you will just start to loose power before you hurt something. Rich though you can wash the cylinders, pop the top ring, etc.
Without a wideband and or reading plugs on your bike I would not be making to big of adjustments. You wont know what is going on. You could do it with a temp gun on the primary exhaust pipes but you really need to know what you are doing.
Most vehicles come running rich. These bikes come lean, smog reasons.

#9,721 ·
Timing changes how the fuel burns. You need to get the fuel right first then chafe the timing then fuel...

I have made adjustments based on what I have seen from dyno plots when it came to adjusting the timing.

#9,723 ·
I never been getting ready for Monday at VIR...once I am back from that, the O2 will be going in.

#9,725 ·
The stock O2 sensor is only a step function...rich or lean. It does not give an afr value. That's why you need to use a wideband.

#9,729 ·
#9,731 ·
Tad i have tested today stock map vs your last map and i was shocked how much you have improved rideability of the bike ... :bow
Many thanks to you :bow:bow:bow

I was using your maps for a whille and i wanted to feel how it was stock ...:boobies
i flashed the stock map and i tried to take a few corners with the knee down but was imposible ... :bash
... your map give more confidence when riding in mid corners knowing theat the bike whill respose and do what i whanted to do ....
A mode its a beast ... DON'T RIDE IT WITHOUT SEATBELT ON.... !!! :)

Thanks again !

#9,734 ·
:thumbup...glad you like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.