Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

FlashTune ECU Flashing Interface

2M views 13K replies 451 participants last post by  Tad158 
#1 ·
I got the type 1 ECU flashing interface from Flashtune today.

Here are the tuneable features for the 07-08 R1:
-Fuel table bias (ECU uses a MAP vs RPM and a TPS vs RPM table for fueling, the bias adjusts how much each table contributes to the final value used to control the injectors.)
-TPS vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-MAP vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-TPS vs RPM Ignition map (per gear)
-Engine braking
-YCCT APS vs RPM throttle maps (not directly edittable, can choose between two preset maps: stock and "race")
-Fan temps (stock or 205*F on, 195*F off)
-Immobilizer Operation (Normal or Bypassed)
-Yes, you can import .djm PCIII maps into the software, the software then scales the fuel maps for flashing the ECU just like the PCIII does.

Flashtune does claim to be actively expanding the software to allow for other adjustments as well.

I flashed my ECU with the "race" YCCT map and used the 6th gear ignition map for all gears. My bike does now idle around 1900 RPMs. After looking at the "race" YCCT map closer I believe it may be to blame. Aside from the high idle everything worked great. I went out for a quick ride and was able to power up 2nd gear sit-down wheelies, I tried hard before but it never happened. The bike does feel like it has a little extra pep.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the YCCT maps and the 1st and 6th gear ignition maps.

Attachments

See less See more
#9,810 ·
Hi everybody.
Sorry for my long absence, but there has been some big chances outside this world.
New job, new city. Now living in Hamburg, Germany, and finally got my R1 on the streets again. Have some reading to do, so I can be updated on the latest progress.
But, very good to be back, and to see, that there still is a lot of working :)

#9,811 ·
I am back as well. I flashed my ECU with the latest software for the first time yesterday. I was actually able to get the idle about how I wanted, and improvement over the previous software. I still can't stand the way FlashTune has decided to give no explanation for some of the features such as "Use Ingear Idle" and "By-Pass FI Limit". I can speculate on the function of these options but without actually knowing I have no way to be sure.

Lastly, and I can't state this enough, the fuel maps for the 07-08 are missing the last column for full throttle fuel values. I have emailed FlashTune about this and have had no response. It's just rather irritating because as a programmer myself, I know it's a trivial fix.

#9,812 ·
Tad i need help fast ....

i dont know what to chose power commander v with autotune ... or bazazz with autotune ....

from what i have read the main diferencies betwin the are ...

bazzaz
its like a a/f data logger it logs a/f ratio whille driving and then is a pc its neded to accept the trims .....

pcv with autotune its making ajustements on the fly but i didnt see if i can log a/f data like bazzaz.....

if power commander had the option to log a/f data like bazzaz whill be the best but i from what i know it can't do theat ..... i didnd find any info ...

i dont know what to chose .... wich one its better .... my goal its to buy one of this to wich you guys recommend ...
i whant to use one of the to build fuel maps for each cylinder and bazzaz have the option to log a/f ratio ...
i whill use one of them and contribute to create a fuel map and share with you guys ... but help me chose the best device theat whill help all of us ....

#9,822 ·
Bike side harness location

Just curious, where is everyone stowing their bike-side harness at??. I am trying to figure out an easy access spot that is secure and somewhat hidden. Only place I have come up with is under the left ram air panel cover that's held down by 2 screws. Looking for other ideas that might be more practical.

#9,823 ·
I used zip ties and mounted bike side harness near ECU bracket, then USB cable beneath fuel tank and left it /connected/ under the rear seat for easy access (it's a good idea to put rubber cap on USB part in case of rain, dust etc, used one from HDMI cable).

Regarding speedo corrections - set 90% for current -1/0 and it gives gps accurate readings.

Latest US ecu image I tried did not work best on 09-11 EU model (ie. hard start-up and low idle).

#9,830 ·
After a ride around town yesterday I've determined that I'm going to have to add some engine braking back into this latest flash. The way it reacts now is almost like a stuck throttle at lower speeds, and there were a few times where I was fighting the bike with the brakes to come to a stop. I also found that I could take off with almost no input, like there was some built-in throttle at 0% TPS.

After looking at the TPS/RPM map, I'm assuming this is part of what makes the engine braking so nice at higher RPMs/speeds, but I think I'm going to dial it back a bit. Would lowering the values in the 0~0.6% TPS position columns be the way to adjust this, or is there some other setting I should look at?

#9,831 ·
I would say that it has more to do with the timing....I set the timing so that it would make power on closed throttle, which has had the biggest effect on reducing engine breaking. What RPM and gear? I have noticed that the bike pull along at like 20 mph in 2nd...I think we could knock that down a touch....

#9,833 ·
:thumbup....I will see what I can do in the next go round....

#9,834 ·
ok so am i loosing it or did flash-tune have an interface that was available to be used on 09-14 model r1's. Now that i am looking to purchase one, i'm seeing that there are two different models for 09-11 and 12-14, am i mistaken or are they doing this as a business tactic ?

#9,835 · (Edited)
There are three models. The first is the one I have, a bench interface only that was produced pre 2012 that can only flash 09-11 r1. The next generation was a bench interface that can do 09-14 r1 maybe more if yamaha doesn't update the ECU. The next is an interface that is installed on the bike and is bike specific.

The bench-top version numbers:
2.1 => 09-11
2.2.5 => 09-14 (+?)

#9,836 ·
Mine says 2.1 and it can only do 09-11 R1

#9,837 ·
Quick question guys...

I have a US 2012 flashed with Tad's latest map (5.3.15). The maps is fantastic but the bike is a bugger to start when cold - takes 3 - 5 attempts. Once running it's fine. I didn't have this problem when flashed with Tad's previous maps - not necessarily saying 5.3.15 is the cause but was curious if others with a 12+ are having the same problem?

If I have a chance over the weekend I might reflash an older map to see if the problem disappears...

Davy

#9,839 ·
I think what you are seeing is the idle bug that is in the software. Try using 5.3.15.5 version that I posted a little while back. I think it starts and idles much better...

SO on flash-tune website. The one that says 12-14 would work on the 09 model as well. Just doesn't make any sense to me why they would do it like that

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Those are different than what I posted about. Those are the kind where you install it into the bike. They are bike specific, because the wiring harness is different.

So yes I think you need the one for your bike in that case.

#9,838 ·
SO on flash-tune website. The one that says 12-14 would work on the 09 model as well. Just doesn't make any sense to me why they would do it like that

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#9,842 ·
#9,844 ·
Hey Tad!
Been using 5.3.15.5 for about a week or two, figure I toss some feedback. Like what everyone else has said, the engine braking below 3k is scary. In six gear the bike will pull 27-30 mph with no input. Been also having a lot more popping when off the throttle, I like but I know it isn't good.
For cold starts I haven't had a nasty long one. Probably around 3-5 seconds first try.
ill probably be switching back to 5.3.15 till the engine braking gets fixed. Over all I love both of the maps.

from my toaster

#9,847 ·
What? What image did you use? How warm did it get? What was the fan temps set to in the image? I am near you, if you need help in person....

#9,849 ·
And when it heated up, what did the temp get to without the fans firing up?

#9,851 ·
Did you do full flash or quick flash?

#9,853 ·
There is no EU base image for that version. I am not sure if the US base image set to EU wiring harness wool work.

I am going to try to do another fix based what was discovered by Corrado.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.