Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

FlashTune ECU Flashing Interface

2M views 13K replies 451 participants last post by  Tad158 
#1 ·
I got the type 1 ECU flashing interface from Flashtune today.

Here are the tuneable features for the 07-08 R1:
-Fuel table bias (ECU uses a MAP vs RPM and a TPS vs RPM table for fueling, the bias adjusts how much each table contributes to the final value used to control the injectors.)
-TPS vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-MAP vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-TPS vs RPM Ignition map (per gear)
-Engine braking
-YCCT APS vs RPM throttle maps (not directly edittable, can choose between two preset maps: stock and "race")
-Fan temps (stock or 205*F on, 195*F off)
-Immobilizer Operation (Normal or Bypassed)
-Yes, you can import .djm PCIII maps into the software, the software then scales the fuel maps for flashing the ECU just like the PCIII does.

Flashtune does claim to be actively expanding the software to allow for other adjustments as well.

I flashed my ECU with the "race" YCCT map and used the 6th gear ignition map for all gears. My bike does now idle around 1900 RPMs. After looking at the "race" YCCT map closer I believe it may be to blame. Aside from the high idle everything worked great. I went out for a quick ride and was able to power up 2nd gear sit-down wheelies, I tried hard before but it never happened. The bike does feel like it has a little extra pep.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the YCCT maps and the 1st and 6th gear ignition maps.

Attachments

See less See more
#9,855 ·
OK.....So I would say that you should always use a full flash, as a quick flash does not write to all the memory in the ECU.

Next, did you save the image if you changed something before flashing?

What base image did you use?

I have never seen an issue with the fan temps before...

Do you have the on the bike style interface?

#9,857 · (Edited)
I would like to see that style in person some day. If you want to stop by or meet up somewhere, I could give you a hand.

In other news, I have officially started a new image v6.0.0 based on the v4.3.2 as a base image, and pasted in all the fuel, timing, and ETV maps from v5.3.15.5. I also made a tweak to the timing to see if I can make it pull less at throttle closed, as I don't remember having that issue with v4.3.2, and the throttle curves are nearly identical in that area, but the timing was different. So I made a small change to the timing below 5.5k RPM and 4% TPS. I will take it for a quick spin tomorrow around my neighborhood, as I still only have the track bodywork on it. I hope that the idle from 4.3.2 is retained...we shall see.

#9,858 · (Edited)
So check this out! I got a reply from F-T about the 09+ idle.

Hey TAD,
Long time no talk... It's good to hear from you.

You are correct. There is essentially 3 phases to the idle control.

1) cranking
2) warmup
3) dynamic idle control(via ignition timing)

Stage three really is a rather poor method for idle control and was bypassed in earlier software versions.

I have another 09+ R1 racebike coming in tomorrow to confirm everything works as expected then I will add an option to the R1 definitions to extend warmup idle. After setting this to true you will be able to use the warmup/base idle map to adjust the idle.

I appreciate your patience.
So it seems that this might be fixed soon enough after all!

This is great news! This also explains why it will hang, as the ECU decides that it suddenly needs to add or subtract a bunch of timing and it kills the engine...So hopefully in the next few days we will have a solution!

#9,863 ·
So check this out! I got a reply from F-T about the 09+ idle.

So it seems that this might be fixed soon enough after all!

This is great news! This also explains why it will hang, as the ECU decides that it suddenly needs to add or subtract a bunch of timing and it kills the engine...So hopefully in the next few days we will have a solution!
Yeah, I just learned today via flash tune that the base idle map values are ignition timing, not TPS like I would have assumed. I guess it's best to adjust the idle ETV comp map to change idle speed.

#9,860 ·
I had to submit a support ticket to get that response...I did that when I noticed that they revamped their web page...

#9,862 ·
I got an update from F-T tonight,
Hey TAD,
I updated all the definitions for 09+ r1 models today to include an 'extend warmup idle' setting. Just set to true to bypass stage 3 of idle control. this setting will also recall a true value if the files were created with the earlier versions.

You will need to delete the following files to force your software to update from the server.
\Documents\Flash-Tune\Definitions\Retail\
110DYP.fdf , 110CYP.fdf , G706YP.fdf , and G705YP.fdf

thanks again!
It seems that my definitions updated automatically (and I didn't have to delete the above files), as I now have an "Extend Warm Up Idle" option. To use the ECT vs RPM map for all engine temps, you need to have the new option set to true. I will test it out tomorrow after work.

:bow to F-T for finally fixing this issue.:fact

#9,869 ·
Quick question, I'm still running the v.1 software from flashtune and i was wondering if now that i have installed my quickshifter will it require to be re-flashed or will it work right away?

I can't remember if Tad had said that in V1 you didn't have to do anything because the settings for the QS were already set... plz help someone!

Thanks!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#9,875 ·
Update ... :)

Bungs welded and here its the first a/f log from the y pipe ....
Next its to put the wideband in the cylinder 1 wich i dont know wich one its as you sit on the bike .... first on the left or on the right ... ? :)

Map in the ecu when i recorded a/f was stock ... and i didnt have where to neiled as it was rush hour .... to much trafic ....

Attachments

#9,877 ·
Hey tad. Pretty sure this is what I would need right. This is the bench tuner. The one that I can use on multiple machines. 09-14. Flashtune interface 2.25 Technology Electronic device Tire

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#9,879 ·
#9,880 ·
:yesnod just make sure he has not had any issues with it...

#9,881 ·
Also important to look at the associated numbers around to those odd (high/low) values. Depending how well the Bazzaz proprietary software works on decel those "odd" numbers may appear in the fuel map. Not to worry... Smooth (average) manually with surroundings numbers and collect more data;)
:epimp

#9,882 ·
on decel throttle go quickly enough to 0-5% tps area and dont have time to alter the 50 or 60% tps map ... this its what i think ..... maibe im wrong ... but after corecting the a/f to 13.2 its a pleasure to drive the bike ... makes a verry nice sound .... :boobies as you can see in the log it was running like crap to much vibrations from the engine and she dont like 12.4...

and in this log you can see the stock o2 sensor was activated and its working quite whell lock at 0-20%Tps unthil 5.5-6k .... it was aiming for 14.7 i think its setted like this from the factory ... next time i whill deactivate the stock o2 ...

Attachments

#9,883 ·
Hey guys, I just got another note from F-T!

When they initially released the idle fix I tired it, and it was well broken....So I repled to the support ticked to let them know. This is the reply I got today!

Flash-Tune said:
So I was able to get to the bottom of the idle issue...
The original version1 code had a bug that I overlooked when adding it to the definitions this effectively rendered the x axis of the warmup map useless.
I have updated the definitions again so you will need to delete 110CYP.fdf, 110DYP.fdf, G705YP.fdf, and G706YP.fdf but you should have no problems adjusting the idle speed via the warmup base map now. Thanks again!
So do what they said and delete those files and update them. I am going to play with this fix on Saturday to see if it works better.

If anyone tries it before that let us know how it goes.

#9,886 ·
Good question.....I haven't tried to do it yet. My guess is that you go into the file manager and hit the refresh button on the download new ecu files tab. I will rty tomorrow, as it is past my bed time....but the Bruin's game just went into overtime....so :dunno

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.