Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

FlashTune ECU Flashing Interface

2M views 13K replies 451 participants last post by  Tad158 
#1 ·
I got the type 1 ECU flashing interface from Flashtune today.

Here are the tuneable features for the 07-08 R1:
-Fuel table bias (ECU uses a MAP vs RPM and a TPS vs RPM table for fueling, the bias adjusts how much each table contributes to the final value used to control the injectors.)
-TPS vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-MAP vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-TPS vs RPM Ignition map (per gear)
-Engine braking
-YCCT APS vs RPM throttle maps (not directly edittable, can choose between two preset maps: stock and "race")
-Fan temps (stock or 205*F on, 195*F off)
-Immobilizer Operation (Normal or Bypassed)
-Yes, you can import .djm PCIII maps into the software, the software then scales the fuel maps for flashing the ECU just like the PCIII does.

Flashtune does claim to be actively expanding the software to allow for other adjustments as well.

I flashed my ECU with the "race" YCCT map and used the 6th gear ignition map for all gears. My bike does now idle around 1900 RPMs. After looking at the "race" YCCT map closer I believe it may be to blame. Aside from the high idle everything worked great. I went out for a quick ride and was able to power up 2nd gear sit-down wheelies, I tried hard before but it never happened. The bike does feel like it has a little extra pep.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the YCCT maps and the 1st and 6th gear ignition maps.

Attachments

See less See more
#10,152 ·
I finally tried the 6.0 version of the latest map and it worked really well for me. All the concerns with the 'stuck throttle' feeling coming to a stop are completely gone, but the off/on throttle smoothness is still there. The idle was a little lumpy, but I didn't have any problems with the bike dying.

Overall she feels fantastic. Thanks again Tad!

#10,153 ·
:thumbup.... I decided to high side my bike in turn one at VIR...so...it will be down for repairs for a little bit...that and I need to move...so image development on my end will be on hold for a few weeks...sorry guys...

#10,154 ·
Sorry to hear about the high side Tad. I hope you are ok and the bike isn't badly damaged! Hope you get back on two wheels and moved shortly! Your maps are generating too much power!!

Quick question - I haven't been on for a while. What's the latest map version for 2012 you have posted? I will search around but wanted to look and find the most current one.

#10,156 ·
Only like 15 miles away.

#10,164 · (Edited)
Well since most of the gurus are floating around in here I figure I'd post my questions here. I just picked up a '14 R1 matte gray. Went halves on a FT setup with a buddy ('08 R6) and looking to do some tuning. Neither of us had PCV or auto-tune so looking for timing and fuel maps to throw on there with FT. The only modification I'll be doing for now is a coffman low mount (I would love a graves low mount setup but I have a track day coming up and this fit the bill for cost and time frame).

My plan is to run tad's timing map and TAFB's throttle settings but still looking for a fuel map to compliment the coffman low mount. honestly thinking about using the one Grave's website for their low mount. Thoughts? Would it be plausible to use that worst case scenario? I know I'm just doing a slip-on but figure that'd be somewhat close to the graves setup. I've heard with the less back-pressure it requires some more fuel and the 3/4 map will not work.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. :thumbup

#10,166 ·
I'm running the 5.3.15 or whatever the latest map was I could download on my 09 with a full Graves exhaust (high mount though) but the bike RIPS harder than it ever has, even when I had a "custom" tune on the PCV. You should be fine to run it. I wouldn't think the low mount vs. twin can setup would be a whole lot different.

#10,170 ·
Buzz...in my latest versions A is Tweaked A, STD is optional A, and B is Tweaked STD.

#10,171 ·
Just started looking through the flash tune software.

With the TPS vs RPM maps and the Throttle-by-wire. Is the scale preset with a certain number of columns and rows, or can you add to it.

Also can change the numbers at the top, so If the chart opens with 71, 83, 88, 94, etc...TPS can I change the values to 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, etc... or what ever I want.

Will the ECU blend values between gaps in TPS or are changes only made when TPS reaches the next increment at the top? For exampe if I had 70, 75 TPS and slightly different values would any smoothing changes be made by the ECU through 71-74?

Attachments

#10,173 ·
That would have to be a question you need to ask F-T for....Submit a ticket on their web page....

#10,175 ·
well how the damn thing works would be a good start...

but mostly regarding setting of the stacks timing changes as it seems not many are riding this setup..

but my local buddy was telling me about issues with idle settings, i have been on ecuNleashed since brand new and am perfectly happy on 1450 rpm idle, its a race bike for the streets :thumbup

i dont mind the slight choppy on/off throttle at low rpms as i'm never there anyway... it does make for great low power maneuvers which is weird... Lol

#10,177 ·
Is it possible to turn on the QS setting and not have one connected? Asking because someone wants there bike flashed and the function turned on so at a later time they can install one because he lives a few hrs away from me and doesn't want to have to drive down to have it reflashed when he does install the QS

#10,178 ·
Yes, as long as a normally open sensor is used.

#10,180 ·
Hey guys. I really need some help. I purchased the bench tune from flash-tune.com. I really hate to ask this but is there a "flash tune diy for dummies"? I have a 2011 R1 with twin brothers exhaust. I got the cables in yesterday afternoon. Pulled the ecu and plugged everything up. I was a bit overwhelmed when I seen all the settings. I'm use to older bikes and turning a wrench to tweak it. I seen a YouTube video on a quick flash. Hell, thought I would start there. It told me to plug it up the program wire and cycle the key. OK. So. Where the freak is the program wire???? I emailed kirk about it but I hate bothering the company with " newbie" questions so I figured I'd post it on the forum and have people shake their heads at me. Lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated. !!!!

Glyn

#10,181 ·
FAQ thread?.....Also, you bought a on the bike flashing kit with a bench flashing kit?

#10,183 ·
I have been reading this entire forum (500+ pages) for more than a week. I may have missed some posts here and there but I tried to read all of them to gather as much information as possible.

Tad158, the amount of time and effort you put into this topic is incredible. I am sure I'm not the only one who appreciates your outstanding help.

I have a quick question to all of you: I just bought a brand new 2014 R1 (EU). Based on the reviews, I get the impression that Yamaha may have done some improvements to the ECU mapping. Although I have no other X-planer from earlier years to compare, the bike seems to run fine and pulls okay at the top. I just find the throttle a little too sensitive at all settings but I have gotten used to it.

Do any of you have any information about the 2014 models ECU mapping being any different than the previous years models?

I thank you all.

#10,185 · (Edited)
:bow....

The SBU flash is from an image that they have developed over there ( I have helped them along the way some here and there on small stuff). They also use F-T...

Most of the people who use the SBU flash service are folks who don't want to buy the interface. And that is a great option for those people and would recommend it, if you don't want to drop the 400 or what ever the interface costs nowadays...

As for the 14 ECU being different I haven't heard anything on that matter. My guess is that Yamaha is lazy and probably provided the same ECU image...:dunno

#10,186 · (Edited)
Tad

I have a old interface cable for a 2007 to 2008. Do you know the year range for the R6 that will work with the same cable?

Thanks,
Jeff

#10,187 ·
Tad,

How are you adjusting engine braking? I recieved a PCV Map that was dyno tuned to the standard pump91 flash, but, he added a full exhaust and got the tune for the exhaust. I like the way it pulls, but, do not like the engine breaking. I can post the PCV as well if you would like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.