Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

FlashTune ECU Flashing Interface

2M views 13K replies 451 participants last post by  Tad158 
#1 ·
I got the type 1 ECU flashing interface from Flashtune today.

Here are the tuneable features for the 07-08 R1:
-Fuel table bias (ECU uses a MAP vs RPM and a TPS vs RPM table for fueling, the bias adjusts how much each table contributes to the final value used to control the injectors.)
-TPS vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-MAP vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-TPS vs RPM Ignition map (per gear)
-Engine braking
-YCCT APS vs RPM throttle maps (not directly edittable, can choose between two preset maps: stock and "race")
-Fan temps (stock or 205*F on, 195*F off)
-Immobilizer Operation (Normal or Bypassed)
-Yes, you can import .djm PCIII maps into the software, the software then scales the fuel maps for flashing the ECU just like the PCIII does.

Flashtune does claim to be actively expanding the software to allow for other adjustments as well.

I flashed my ECU with the "race" YCCT map and used the 6th gear ignition map for all gears. My bike does now idle around 1900 RPMs. After looking at the "race" YCCT map closer I believe it may be to blame. Aside from the high idle everything worked great. I went out for a quick ride and was able to power up 2nd gear sit-down wheelies, I tried hard before but it never happened. The bike does feel like it has a little extra pep.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the YCCT maps and the 1st and 6th gear ignition maps.

Attachments

See less See more
#11,517 ·
It is actually how snappy the throttle is...so a larger number the slower it responds a smaller number the quicker it responds...at least that is how it was explained to me...and it is only in a certain range of rpms

#11,520 ·
Odd

#11,523 ·
Well at least I have shown that you can make this bike smooth as butter and have way less engine breaking....to the point they want me to put it back in...at the beginning people thought it was impossible because of the cross plane design....:no...It was because of the terrible ECU map from the factory to meet emission, noise, and fuel efficiency regs....

#11,524 ·
Great work TAD158

Just flashed your "2012-2014-US-R1-V2soft-v6.4.4.8-TAD158-Track-Tune-STD(B)-OptionalA(STD)-Tweaked-A(A).ftm" last night and took it out for a test ride this morning. I have a 2014-R1 with Yosh TRC slipons, airbox mod, and M4 Y-Pipe. Prior to using your map I was running the FTECU Slipon Map with a PCV two brothers map. While it was okay it had a bit of engine braking and popped and farted on decel to the point of being a nuisance.

I took it to Ortega this morning and found that your map nails it for me. Engine braking is gone! Makes it so easy to roll of throttle and brake into a turn without upsetting the bike. Rolling thru the turns was a revelation, it was much smoother under maintenance throttle. Before it always felt like it was hunting for an RPM to match my throttle position. Lastly, the popping and farting on decel is finally gone. Well done. Thanks for the effort you put into this and sharing it with the rest of us.

#11,525 ·
;thumbup...I am glad it worked well for you.

#11,527 · (Edited)
Isn't the high RPM area full of 100 values in the boxes? So 100 minus 7 is -7% or minus 5 is -5%, so on. Anything with a 100 value will be 1:1 with percentage changes. Even 98 or 99 values could yield 1:1 changes based on the software rounding up to whole numbers. The only way I can get the correct values is to copy and paste them into excel.

I have also learned to copy any values I paste into FTE back into Excel to see if/how much the software changed them. This is a big annoyance with throttle maps. As perfect as you make them, the FTE software will change the values and undo your hard work.

#11,528 ·
You are correct on the first point. The second point I haven't noticed but will investigate, as that would be a BIG bug...

#11,529 · (Edited)
I'll post an example shortly...

Original:

After pasting into FTE and back into Excel then trying to re-smooth it a little:

It's like it can't resolve enough to make proper adjustments. If you look at the lines it's as if there are preset values it stuffs the values into by rounding up or down. This is exactly what I find when adjusting values in FTE. Quick test, it's as I thought, preset values in FTE, the value difference between numbers is 0.14367816091954.

An example:

4500- 2.44252873563218
5000- 2.72988505747126
5500- 2.72988505747126
6000- 2.87356321839080

This is the pasted "2" column at 4500-6000 RPM's. 5000 and 5500 were not the same when I made it.

Just in case, here's the bottom end of your maps as well, Tad (straight cut and paste from FTE):

#11,530 ·
Oy!....I will look at it myself and report it...:(...

#11,535 ·
i'm not sure if its the eu fuel or what, but tad's map seems to run quite rich, apart from that i'm now starting to dig the lack of engine braking, noticed side to side transition seems alot easier off the throttle and i seem to be going into corners alot quicker. :riding
EU fuel doesn't seem to have all the additives we do in the U.S. so your bikes can get away with running less fuel. If you look at most EU PC5 maps they're taking away fuel instead of adding.

#11,534 ·
11?

#11,543 · (Edited)
Flashed about 95% of your image today Tad, I ran your B mode YCCT map for my STD map and my own maps I'm happy with for A and B. The only other changes were adjusting the speedo to 95% since this is what my GPS tells me is most accurate for my bike and temp to 192 and 203, seems to help with So. Cal heat a little more.

Engine braking is definitely reduced with your B throttle map, so much so I got a near cruise control effect at 5000 RPMs. I have a feeling the jumble FTE software does might be causing this since it's almost the same as it was last time I ran your throttle maps. My throttle maps have a little bit of this effect also, but definitely more engine braking going on.

So far an excellent image, need to watch my fuel mileage to see how that does, before with a PCV Leo Vince map I was getting a week out of a tank going to and from work, so I'm hoping to continue that.

I'll play with my throttle maps some more to try to clean up the cruise control part and get smooth engine braking, just reduced.

Awesome work!

#11,544 ·
Did you use the stock etv decell comp maps? Or mine? Because there is a difference...and could be causing the cruise control feeling. I don't ever feel that on the track or putting around town...

#11,546 ·
Since you have also had issues with it idling when cold, both issues nobody else have complained about. Can you humor me and check both TPS signals in diagnostic mode? Check the numbers at closed and WOT, as well as making sure that the numbers move smoothly at all times and transitions?

#11,565 ·
Oh, the idle seems to have cured itself with this last flash, so good there. I think I found my throttle problem, I pulled the wrong map from Excel. I have my maps in Excel to plot them and clicked the wrong tab to copy and paste. So my fault there. I flashed it again last night, will ride it this morning to see how it does.

I've also left the injector cut disabled and that seems to have cured the crackle on decel and occasional pop going from zero to partial throttle. In short, I think it's good to go now. I just need to get a data logger so I can check things and make adjustments to suit my setup.

#11,548 ·
I saw it...look at what I have in my image. Increase or decrease the whole last two columns of that map until you get the idle speed you want. I have been able to crank it down to 1050 and up to 2100 using that method. Your map you attached in the email won't work well. Remember that the values in the cells are 10xTPS.
Can someone go into a little more detail about this?

so is it ECT in fahrenheit x RPM? and increasing the number causes the APS to open a little more giving a higher idle rpm?

#11,550 ·
Hi guys. I'm from singapore and i'm currently riding a 2011 R1. Had my ecu flash quite sometime ago and it seems like everyrhing is wrong. My bike starts with B mode and apparently my A mode is shit. Bike is running too rich according to one of the mechanic from a bike shop. Could any of you guys help me out?

#11,551 ·
Sounds like it is one of the old images....use the image I just posted, it works much better.

#11,553 ·
Yep right here....if you have a question I am sure someone else has the same question...and can learn from yours...and you can get help from the community, not just me...

#11,556 ·
Ok guys hopefully this thread is still active and some of my questions can be answered

Firstly it seems hard for me to find info. I have a 2006 r1 the yellow 50th.
It seems that the 2002 to 2006 have a Mitsubishi made ecu ( or Mitsubishi software based ) and then moved to denso for 07 onwards

Now questions.
Woolichracing have a flash tune harness available for the earlier years where ftecu inc. do not offer a harness or software for my bike

Does anyone have a 2006 with a harness and software with any info on which company to go with

If no one out there does can someone shine some light on the dark areas of the flash tune for this year
I understand that not being fly by wire will limit my ecu's functionability but what is my ecu really capable of and what really are its limits
I know this is a broad question
I'm just getting confused by woolichracing's interface not offering a lot of things that seem to be offered by mail in flash tunes
What software are these company's really using to flash my ecu's that I can't obtain myself with an interface

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.