Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

FlashTune ECU Flashing Interface

2M views 13K replies 451 participants last post by  Tad158 
#1 ·
I got the type 1 ECU flashing interface from Flashtune today.

Here are the tuneable features for the 07-08 R1:
-Fuel table bias (ECU uses a MAP vs RPM and a TPS vs RPM table for fueling, the bias adjusts how much each table contributes to the final value used to control the injectors.)
-TPS vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-MAP vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-TPS vs RPM Ignition map (per gear)
-Engine braking
-YCCT APS vs RPM throttle maps (not directly edittable, can choose between two preset maps: stock and "race")
-Fan temps (stock or 205*F on, 195*F off)
-Immobilizer Operation (Normal or Bypassed)
-Yes, you can import .djm PCIII maps into the software, the software then scales the fuel maps for flashing the ECU just like the PCIII does.

Flashtune does claim to be actively expanding the software to allow for other adjustments as well.

I flashed my ECU with the "race" YCCT map and used the 6th gear ignition map for all gears. My bike does now idle around 1900 RPMs. After looking at the "race" YCCT map closer I believe it may be to blame. Aside from the high idle everything worked great. I went out for a quick ride and was able to power up 2nd gear sit-down wheelies, I tried hard before but it never happened. The bike does feel like it has a little extra pep.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the YCCT maps and the 1st and 6th gear ignition maps.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm not certain the difference the YCCT map made as I was not able to do back to back runs before and after the flash. The bike just feels a little more powerful. Having the idle set at 1900 RPMs definitely helped smooth out on-off throttle transitions.

I emailed Flashtune yesterday and they said the next update will also include rev limit adjustment.

#5 · (Edited)
I got the type 1 ECU flashing interface from Flashtune today.

I flashed my ECU with the "race" YCCT map and used the 6th gear ignition map for all gears. My bike does now idle around 1900 RPMs. After looking at the "race" YCCT map closer I believe it may be to blame. Aside from the high idle everything worked great. I went out for a quick ride and was able to power up 2nd gear sit-down wheelies, I tried hard before but it never happened. The bike does feel like it has a little extra pep.
Thanks for sharing the info. Looks like we're finally getting some insider input :thumbup

Do you think that the ignition is a modification of the old style TRE (G-pack) modules, as in, making the ecu think (for example) it's in 6th gear, when in reality, the bike is in 2nd gear?

Can you reduce the 1900rpm idle speed to a more normal level while retaining the 6th gear based ignition map for all gears?

Again thanks for sharing the info!

#6 ·
The 1900 RPM idle is caused by the YCCT "race" map, not the ignition map. Running the stock YCCT map keeps the idle stock. As stated however, in the next version of the software you will be able to edit the idle characteristic. The ignition tuning is nothing like any modules. You can directly edit a separate ignition map for each gear. Look at the pics I posted to see what I mean.

#7 ·
I've been playing with the Flash-Tune interface now for about 2 weeks. I love the adjustability! Amazing! I can really tell a difference in 2nd gear-the bike just hauls ass even faster from about 8G up! My butt dyno feels just like the chart that Flash-Tunes posted for the 07-08 on the dyno. I've changed the engine braking probably 10 times to find my sweet spot! Seems like just more than 50% on the slider is perfect for my style of riding! The bike pulls much better from a stop also. My idle doesn't seem much higher.

#9 ·
did they update the software yet so you can change the idle

i should have mine by next week can't wait

I just opened my Flash-Tune interface. I don't see any changes-so no idle adjustment option yet. I re-visited their website. Looks like they are starting their own 'tune' file share as well. These guys are on it!

Honestly, I am starting to think that the send-off ECU reflashing services may headed towards extinction. Who would want a single time reflash when you can get the entire interface and make changes on your own?

#11 ·
Would anyone like to comment on the integration of the ECU reflash with the PCV and Autotune? I had an older PC III and loaded a map on it before getting a custom dyno map. Since the dyno guys set the AFM for max power that doesn't seem to necessarily fix "driveability" issues and I guess, that is where redo of the ECU would help. With the Autotun and the ECU interface, is the gazillion dollar dyno man on the way out except for the race dudes? Are the ECU reflashers also Autotuners?:dundun:

#13 ·
so i got to try it out today here are my results

first i did an import of a pc3 map (just the stock 07 r1 map)
ycct race
50% engine breaking

second in did just the 91+ pump gas
ycct race
50% engine breaking

both flashes felt way better than stock smooth on off throttle. the only problem i have with them is my idle is a little high the funny thing is my tach still says 1200 but it sounds high. so far i love the flash just waiting for the update to change the idle.

ill play around with it some more tommorow

#14 ·
Look closer at the tach, the idle is probably really 1500+ RPMs. I did verify that running the race ycct setting causes the idle to be higher. If you run the stock ycct setting the idle is normal. Shouldn't be a problem at all once the idle adjustments are put into the software. It is nice how much smoother the throttle transition is with the high idle and engine breaking settings.

#16 ·
Did the Flash Tune get rid of the throttle restrictions in the first 3 gears below 8000rpm?

#18 ·
There is no power to be gained by having the throttle opened 100% at 2k RPMs. Actually, it is documented by a member on here through some testing that the throttle settings from the factory are not restricting the power on the 07-08 R1. Just because you are not at 100% throttle doesn't mean you are not pulling in as much air as the engine is able to at a given RPM.

Also, there is not a linear relationship between the throttle position and the amount of air being drawn in. Therefore, for predictable/smooth throttle settings, there should not be a linear relationship between the throttle position and the accelerator position (wrist) for a given RPM. That is why YCCT has an advantage for a cable driven throttle. You can set the relationship between throttle position and accelerator position.

#19 ·
Any ecu flash

I thought I was sure what to do, but I'm a little confused now. I have 07 R1 with full akropovic, bmc and bazzaz with ZAFM. I bought the bazzaz really for the TC after having a PC3. I use the r1 mostly for track days and would have liked a little more go out of slower corners...would a reflash really be worth the extra money???...I'm starting to doubt it. Any comments are welcome

#34 ·
I have flashed the 'stock' map off of the power commander website. The 'true' stock map is the power commander's zero map. The zero map is the unaltered stock A/F map. The power commander 'stock' map is an optimized A/F for a fully stock bike. My butt dyno can't tell a difference from the fueling, but it can feel a difference from the 'stock' ECU settings to the optimized 91+ tune on the interface.

The 07-08 R1s have 2 A/F maps. The first is the 'closed loop' map, in which the bike uses its stock O2 sensor. This map and sensor are used in low load situations, such as idle, waiting at stop lights, cruising at low throttle, etc. This is a efficiency system. When you get on the gas, over 25% throttle I believe is when the ECU switches from the low load closed loop map to the high load map. The high load map doesn't use the O2 sensor, instead it simply runs a base fuel table.

The interface allows the user to 'lock' into the high load map if you wish, bypassing the O2 sensor function and the low-load 'closed loop' system. I have mine set to 75% high load map bias, which Flash Tune says is anything over like 3% throttle, so my bike still runs lean at idle and at stops, etc, but rapidly switches to high load map pretty much as soon as I twist the throttle at all.

Sometimes you can feel a slight hiccup when the maps are switched on the stock ECU settings, if you have a good feeling for your bike, such as when crusing to getting on it, there will be a slight hesitation. I haven't noticed the hesitation since running it at 75% high load bias.

#35 ·
now with my exhaust i load the 91+ map and then load the yoshimura 3/4 system pc3 map over it and it runs great.

i was gonna ask about the bias thing but you explained it all to well - thanks
so my friend has a full graves with no o2 and at idle his runs so rich it makes his taillight black i would assume this is because he is using a pc3 with no o2 so he is stuck on one map.

#37 ·
now with my exhaust i load the 91+ map and then load the yoshimura 3/4 system pc3 map over it and it runs great.

i was gonna ask about the bias thing but you explained it all to well - thanks
so my friend has a full graves with no o2 and at idle his runs so rich it makes his taillight black i would assume this is because he is using a pc3 with no o2 so he is stuck on one map.
Yes, pick the fuel type that you plan on using, this sets the base 'tune' for your bike. Make sure you select the 'race YCCT', set your engine braking, set your preferred fuel map bias, open your pc3 map then apply it, finally pick your operating temp and select us model or not, and flash!

Now, your buddy. I've heard that if you retain the stock header and EXUP that your bike can run leaner at idle and low RPMs due to proper backpressure. I was told that the only way to counter that decrease in back pressure with a full system was simply to add more fuel and that it would run rich at low rpms, and thus, yes, the grungy pipe.

I'm not for sure about this though. Anyone care to chime in? I recently spoke to DynoJet about this. The Auto Tune unit has 0s in areas where it is not supposed to adjust off the base map, and it is 0ed out at idle-so even the Auto Tune can't adjust this. Oh yeah, and he has to have a PCV to have Auto Tune.

I would think that your buddy could hook his laptop to his pc3 and try dropping the idle fuel load until rough idle started, then bump back up a notch or two. If he can knock it down a lot and it still idles ok, you know it was waay too rich. This is probably the best option without spending a lot of money.

#38 ·
for the engine braking it does not effect how the revs come down when holding in the clutch only when letting off the gas when in gear. i really like how you can adjust it and it makes a beg difference on how smooth on off throttle is. but like he said you need to be careful especially on the street you need to get used to not having the bike slow itself down before a turn or in traffic. i flashed mine many times until i got it just right. it would be good if they had a number value to it or a percent as right now it only has a slider so i measure by what letter the end of the slider is at right now mine is in the middle of the N in engine

#40 ·
sorry but i have to disagree with you on holding the revves up in in neutral. i ride my bike everyday rain or shine mostly shine because hawaii has great weather. but i have never noticed it holding the revves up or them falling slower when holding the clutch or in neutral. but as i ride to work tomorrow i will try to remember to pay attention and ill let you know.

#41 ·
Maybe you could adjust the engine braking to give the least engine braking possible and then try revving in neutral/clutch in. As ravendan outlined just be careful, and remember to use your rear brake to counter-act excessive reductions in engine braking while riding and not your front brake.

#48 ·
Dude! We don't ride when it is 25 freaking degrees! However, if we had sunny 65 degree days, we would be having a blast! That is almost the perfect riding temps on a stock R1 with the included leg warmers!
every one should move to hawaii

all we need is a track dammit!!
Hawaii doesn't have a track? I couldn't live there! Umm....no track vs girls in bikinis all year long....no track....bikinis.....:boobies....yup, Hawaii sounds like a great place to live!

Did you get a chance to check that rev up/down idea? When I had mine over 75%, when I rev'd the engine up to say 8K, it would fall to 7K and 'hang' for a bit, then fall towards idle. I wonder if the setting adjust the 'hang time'?

#52 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone,
First of let me thank every last one of you guys. Your feedback and support has been invaluable throughout the development of our flashing interface and I have no doubt that with all of your support we will change the future of tuning. There should be no doubt in anyone's mind at this point that if you own a stock US model throttle-by-wire Yamaha you might as well be riding with training wheels simply because your ECU has been loaded with restrictive firmware.
Anyway, free time has been very limited recently so I will not be able to dedicate as much time to the forums as I would like but live support is still available on our website as well as by email and phone. Also, there is no shortage of knowledgeable members in the Yamaha community. I will be available here from time to time as well. But I will mostly focus my attention on answering common questions and posting important information about new updates as they become available.
This morning we published version 1.2.1.0 with two significant changes. First, the PC map import routine has been revised. It now supports PC3 and PC5 files and it’s much faster. Second, at the request of mark with markbiltracebikes.com, we have made the YCC-T race maps editable, this is not important for raw power gains but can be very powerful for managing traction under various undesirable track conditions.
We are actively developing the software and in the near future we will incorporate idle speed control, rev limiter control, YCC-I control, and ECU based quick shifting. Also, we are open to suggestions and as always we are here to help.

#58 ·
Hey Everyone,
First of let me thank every last one of you guys. Your feedback and support has been invaluable throughout the development of our flashing interface and I have no doubt that with all of your support we will change the future of tuning. There should be no doubt in anyone's mind at this point that if you own a stock US model throttle-by-wire Yamaha you might as well be riding with training wheels simply because your ECU has been loaded with restrictive firmware.
Anyway, free time has been very limited recently so I will not be able to dedicate as much time to the forums as I would like but live support is still available on our website as well as by email and phone. Also, there is no shortage of knowledgeable members in the Yamaha community. I will be available here from time to time as well. But I will mostly focus my attention on answering common questions and posting important information about new updates as they become available.
This morning we published version 1.2.1.0 with a few with two significant changes. First, the PC map import routine has been revised. It now supports PC3 and PC5 files and it’s much faster. Second, at the request of mark with markbiltracebikes.com, we have made the YCC-T race maps editable, this is not important for raw power gains but can be very powerful for managing traction under various undesirable track conditions.
We are actively developing the software and in the near future we will incorporate idle speed control, rev limiter control, YCC-I control, and ECU based quick shifting. Also, we are open to suggestions and as always we are here to help.
Very good news. Being able to edit the race YCC-T map has long been a dream of mine. The new features will be very nice to have in the future, especially a quickshifter. I had almost lost hope in someone releasing the software/hardware to start modding these ECUs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.