Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

ecuunleashed 0r flashtune

19K views 61 replies 31 participants last post by  bacchus40 
#1 ·
hi guys, i was going to get ecuunleashed for $350 but did a search here and came across flashtune for $150.
is it same thing? can someone please look into this and give me their input/info. i just got the bike and have no knowledge regarding this and dont wanna spend $350 for something that can be done for $150.... thanks

http://ecunleashed.com/ $350

http://www.flash-tune.com/?wpsc-prod...ce-duplicate-2 $150

#3 ·
I think it's a bit more than that.

Flash Tune sells an interface cable and does his own development of the software. I have purchased the cable, and have flashed my own ECU. He has been VERY active on the forum and continuing to develop the software, adding new features, etc.

I doubt it's a "rip off" from ECU Unleashed with the amount of work that is in it... Unless you have proof, I wouldn't be spreading rumors.

#4 ·
I can only tell you what I did and that was purchase the Flash-Tune interface for $320.95 shipped.

The reason I did is because as you pointed out, ecunleashed is charging $300+ for one flash.

With flash tune I can flash my ecu as many times as I want with a laptop and the cable that was pointed out above when you buy the interface from Flash-Tune.

As far as it being a rip from ecunleashed, that's the first I have ever heard of it. One thing that is true is Flash-Tune is very active in this forum and seems to have great customer service.

The choice is ultimately yours, so read around and think about how many times you are planing to make upgrades or change certain parts, this may factor in if you will have to do multiple flashes.

Good luck! :jump

#5 ·
flashtune is great reflash and at the end of the day it does the same thing as ecunleashed.

spend your money how you want but for 350 i got a reflash and ecubased quickshifter

#6 ·
thnaks guys, i wasnt even going to do nothing because i dont race or anything just ride street. but lot of ppl told me to "flash" the ecu. so i decided to get it...

my question was! is flastune($150) same thing as ecuunleash($350)?

i understand i can buy the interface and flash my own and other bike but im not mechanically inclined to do all that, im dumber than a rock when it comes to tuning. so i rather pay someone to do it for me BUT NOT $350 THAT I CAN GET IT FOR $150..

#10 ·
i understand i can buy the interface and flash my own and other bike but im not mechanically inclined to do all that, im dumber than a rock when it comes to tuning. so i rather pay someone to do it for me BUT NOT $350 THAT I CAN GET IT FOR $150..
You Might want to watch the little how to video on flash-tunes website, I dont think alot of ability on the users end is required. I feel Im more then capable to do just about anything with any car,motorcycle,airplane,boat etc etc. But watching the video they posted makes me feel this is about as difficult as burning a music CD.

#8 ·
From the comparisons on here, and from what I have personally experienced, the flash from ECU Unleashed and Flash Tune are VERY similar.

Flash Tune is very active on here, so you can make requests very easily to him, and for the cost difference, if I wasn't buying the cable, I would for sure send it to Flash Tune over any of the other flashers.

#11 ·
Vtwin, if u havent done the flash yet have a look at a thread YEC ECU...it cost a tad more but as far as flashes and ecu capabilities go, its just about the best thing u can do to your bike performance wise.

Im sure the other flash options are brilliant, but comparing functions and what versatility its the best bang for buck.

Maybe pm LiamR1, he can tell u all. there is to bout it. im doing mine soon

#13 ·
I just bought graves velocity stacks nd planned on doing ecu unleashed. Than I heard about flash tune for cheaper but nowhere have I found anything saying that flashtune can accomadate for my new velocity stacks. Ecu unleashed can though.

#15 ·
They are in the air box and they act as a funnel for the intake when changing them more power is achieved. The bottoms bolt to the intake and the tops move with the throttle opening and closing. In other bikes that don't have the variable stacks like the 09-12 r1 it still makes more power but moves where the power is made in the rpm range.

#18 ·
here you go. I know the guy that does the local ecunleashed flashing.

"Just an FYI, but I flashed an R6 for the owner of Flash Tune. He then hacked the box and stole some of our engineering. Told me exactly his intent too when he picked up the ECU. They used to only do GSXRs. Because they used to be the easiest. Hence the name change.

I have no problem making this claim on a public forum as it's 100% true. It's a hack company with questionable staff. If you want to save a few bucks and purchase old technology, go ahead. But please do not compare or confuse their work with ours. Well technically, their work IS ours, the old stuff anyway...hahaha

ECUnleashed is the world leader in this technology. The rest are just followers.........."

#20 ·
im only a consumer, and dont have any info or experience with the yec flash.
I have my ecu reflashed from ecunleashed and do notice a stronger pull throughout. The engine braking is still there but toned down noticably. The quote i posted above was not from me, but was told that by my friend/ecunleashed rep.

#22 ·
I've heard the same about an ECUnleashed-hacked ECU. I don't think ECUnleashed would make a stink about another 'flasher' in the biz unless there was something actually behind it. I also don't think Flash-Tune would try to deface ECUnleashed on its front page, unless it's trying to prove something. Nor does it mention any other reflash company. But that's my .02 and I'm planning on going with ECUnleashed.

#23 ·
I'm a fan of the Flash Tune self-flashing interface. Why pay $350 for a one time flash, when you pay the same amount and do unlimited changes to your ECU? If you change your exhaust, you can just download a new air/fuel map into your ECU with Flash Tune interface. Going from pump fuel to racing fuel, Flash Tune interface allows for the ignition timing change. Want more engine braking, FT can do it. Whether Flash Tune stole technology or not, the fact of the matter is that he is making the product much more available for us 'normal guys' that have budgets and would like to make multiple changes. I don't see Jett Tuning or ECU unleashed doing this, do you? BTY, there won't be any noticable difference in reflashes for performance. They all do the same thing, unrestrict the throttle, drop in some timing, and drop in a basic air/fuel based on your mods.
The best thing to do is get the interface from Flash Tune, and then get the PCV and Auto-Tune if you want the best tune for your bike. The flash gets you an unrestricted bike, then you tune to the new settings.
Have fun, be safe!

#25 ·
I know I am a newbie here but I just bought the interface. Reason is I spent a lot of time tuning LT1 engines and still do some for friends.
Saying he hacked a program, how do you think any of them learned how to tune? Either got a program and was showed or hacked the factory and figured out what everything did. For me it was a little of both. Got the tuning program and learned it along with looking at other tuners ideas to fix problems because I could download the tune from the car having the problems. Now is that wrong?
Hell I dont know. But either way if Flashtune was up front about what they were going to do with it what difference does it make, they didnt have to give him the ecu.
This goes on in the Diesel truck world also. So and So stole my tune hacked it and now is making money on it. But I do agree that 350 for a tune on these bikes is a little high. Hell a dyno tune on a car is less than that last time we had a dyno day. Once you have tuned a 4-stroke engine you know that the biggest percentage like a certain timing range and AFR. Go under, loose power, go over ping. Find a happy medium, send out and repeat. Now throw in one off engines that are built with better heads, more overlap cam, etc. Now it can get tricky on timing range and AFR. Get either on the edge and you are buying a piston if the car decides to burp or fart, but those would most likely be dyno tuned anyways.

#28 · (Edited)
holly crap!! that is absurd!!! wowsah... I'm gonna have to get on it
for next year then.. race cams are going in!! woohoo! will have to
take my beasty out to THe Ridge Motorsports Park to let her break loose
before I have her re-tuned!!

#32 ·
RoOst those are good#'s but for less money you get the same results. ecunleashed's only feature that flashtune doesnt offer is the velocity stack adjustment. and they might even have that feature availble now.

but for the majority of us guys who just want good perfomance out of our street bike/DD/commuter the flashtune for $150 is the best way to spend your hard earned dollars.

165whp : slips/ypipe/pcv/flashtune/blockoffs/airboxmod/stock filter

#35 ·
I have had my 08 R1, 09 ZX6R (Street) and 09 ZX6R (Track) all done my ECUnleashed and they are amazing. Taige is a really nice guy and very good at what he does. He has a lot of experience and has worked in the industry for many years including for Graves at one point if Im not mistaken.

I would go with the Trusted and Known to work brand...ECUnleashed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.