Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

TC's '02 Transformation

18K views 168 replies 35 participants last post by  T.C. 
#1 ·
OK, so it's not as though I didn't like the colour of my bike, in fact I like it.
I was just after a change. I can always change it back later. :yesnod

So I went e-shopping.
Here's what I bought.
MFRus fairing kit. (from the for sale thread on here)
Fender eliminator. (from R-rated motorcycle parts here in Oz)
Intergrated tail light. (from Motodynamics)
Pazzo levers. (from Motomummy)
Driven D-3 grips. (from Motomummy)
For anyone wondering about the fitment of the MFRus fairings, The pics I post are how they fit without modification. (unless stated)

Here's a pic of my baby before.

See less See more
#2 ·
First I started fitting the Intergrated tail light.
These lights are top quality, all plug and play. :fact
I've set it up with the brake light pulsing 3 or 4 times before it goes solid.
The indicators are setup to be sequential.

I then started to fit the rear tail section. :crash
The top piece fitted great. The under tail needed to be filed to get it to lock together.
The number plate/tag holder was next. Fitted like a gem.

I fitted on the solo seat cover and this is how it looks. :confused:
I'm going to have to modify this for a better fit. :(

#4 ·
I'm still trying to find a complete tank, so I can just swap it over.
But there's not one in Oz that's not beat'n to sh*t. :shake
So looks like I'll have to live with the silver one for now.

#6 ·
Keep your eyes peeled, one has to show up sooner or later. I wouldn't paint the tank, nothings like OEM paint. :fact

#7 ·
:lol
bsgesch, I was missing some parts that MFRus didn't send.
After a few PM's and some photo's, I only just got them.(still missing the heat shield) :fact
I'll have to remove the old stuff off my fairings, and re-use that. :shake
I'm not going to bother chasing the heat shield from them. :fact
Don't worry more pics will follow. BTW it's 2.30am here, I should be asleep. :lol

#13 ·
If my bike looked as clean as yours in the before pics I wouldn't have bought any fairings! Still, the white looks like it will be awesome.

Please post your pics, gripes, happiness and elation in your thread and your review and I will do the same with my pics and experience in my thread...sound okay?

#16 ·
:corn

#18 ·
:lol Sorry Saki. here's some more teasing. :lol

I fitted up the nose, screen, mids, and lowers today.
The first issue I had was the screen. The MFRus screen isn't worth using. :fact
The reason is that it has no lip around it, so it fits under the line of the nose.
Where the factory one has the lip so the screen sits flush.

The holes for mounting the screen had to be elongated to make the factory screen fit.

The nose fitted pretty well. The gap around the headlights is a bit bigger than the factory, but not too bad.
The fitting of the mids was pretty good. The lower ones needed a fair bit filing to get them to fit together to a point I was happy with.
By the time I got this done it was too dark for good pics. I'll post full pics tomorrow. :fact
I only have to fit the lower header guard, levers, and grips.
Then find a tank and then get it painted.

#22 ·
Some pics of my baby. Now have to chase up a tank so I can paint it.
Also I want to paint the rear fender white aswell.

I'm also thinking of getting another set of rearsets and powder coating them white. :secret:

#27 ·
Some pics of my baby. Now have to chase up a tank so I can paint it.
Also I want to paint the rear fender white aswell.

I'm also thinking of getting another set of rearsets and powder coating them white. :secret:

Man that looks sharp! I love it. The way the light is reflecting off the tank, it looks white. Very cool TC, you must be stoked with how it's come out.

Personally, I reckon black powdercoated pegs and wheels would work best with the white.

#24 ·
Very clean. Good job bro :bow

Definitely liking the white. Fitment around the uppers, lowers, and nose doesn't look too horrible either. Like the red outlines on the decals as well. Have you thought about powdering your wheels? I think they'd look :boobies powdered and with some nice contrasting pinstriping.

#40 ·
Looking good TC. :thumbup
Someone beat me to it, I was going to suggest painting the rear fender black to work with either set of bodywork...
As an interim step with the tank, you might consider white vinyl. You could play with different designs and use the silver as accents. Inexpensive, and you can peel it off when/if you get another tank and have your clean stocker still.

#45 ·
I've got the black fender fitted now and still got the OEM silver one.
I'll look into the vinyl, that's a good idea. Cheers mate. :thumbup

very clean:thumbup
Thanks mate.

Thanks T.C. they look great as does the rest of the bike. I knew I should have bought that fairing when it was on sale :lol I did get the grips today tho and Im more excited about getting them on after seeing yours. Unfortunately I had a hydraulic pump let go today so I gota fix that first. :(
Fitting the grips takes about 5 minutes. I used brake cleaner to help slide them on. Worked like a charm. :cool:

Looking good
Thanks Beav.

Looking sweet mate :thumbup it always amazes me how much different paint changes things.
Thanks Eli.
Once I get the tank sorted I'll be much happier. :yesnod

#42 ·
Thanks T.C. they look great as does the rest of the bike. I knew I should have bought that fairing when it was on sale :lol I did get the grips today tho and Im more excited about getting them on after seeing yours. Unfortunately I had a hydraulic pump let go today so I gota fix that first. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.