Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

New '06... Wait. New '12 Mod Addicted Owner???

137K views 804 replies 92 participants last post by  APO2112 
#1 ·
Alright. If you read my original thread, "'06 mod addicted owner", You know a little of my background and my reasoning for buying an R1. She is a prestine, 2006 50th Anniversary around 10k miles (at that time) with a couple bits already installed. Reason for not gunning for a brand new bike was the theme, "reasonable" my wife implied as this was a replacement vehicle that will have little to no financial impact on our spending. Yeah right... Well, an opportunity came up to refi our Infinity with our credit union for an amazing rate, so we decided to cash in on it. The topic of the bike came up, and we looked at our financing options and decided we wanted to refi the bike for a ridiculously low rate as well. Our credit union told us that they wouldn't refi it unless I gave them a down payment on the new loan, reason being, the value of the bike was less than the amount currently financed. :shake Also, they told me this was the last year they could actually finance an '06, so looking for decent trade-in value in the future was going to get very slim very fast. I already didn't have piece of mind knowing if I wrecked this bike today, the insurance claim wouldn't cover my loan amount :no So, after a couple weeks of discussions and financial planning, believe it or not, I'm in a position to unload the '06 and pick up a new '12 :boobies

Now don't get me wrong, I fell in love with my R1. The '06 has the best of all worlds... Especially when you upgrade the suspension. Power, looks, flickability, all of the above... Just at too much of a financial risk for me at this moment. :(

Now, I'm naturally a tough negotiator, and after some additional coaching from my Uncle-in-law (he's the best number cruncher in my circle by far and also my favorite unlce :fact), I was ready to hit the market hard and see what I could get for the amount I'm willing to pay, which is nothing over MSRP O.T.D for starters...

I called a few dealers and did some light negotiations, even visited a few and got the '06 appraised for trade-in value. No one was willing to give me the numbers I wanted, so the search continued into Labor Day weekend.

Then I found a dealer in Azuza that promised me top dollar for my trade in before I walked into the building :flex:

I spotted a lovely Raven R1, though they had all the '12 models, for some reason the new Raven stuck out the most...

They called this "Indian Theme" :shake

'12 in Blue

'12 Raven

And me being a Honda boy previously, I had to look at other brands... Like Ducati and this Honda CBR 1000RR :dunno

Honda CBR1000RR Dash and Showa's

I sent those pictures to my wife's cell, and she immediately replied back and told me to get the black one. So the black one it is... :thumbup

The negotiations began. They initially came in with the MSRP of the bike, plus dealer prep, plus delievery fees, plus tax and DMV fees; basically take that number and add whatever was left on the last loan into this one. I immediately got that number down by price-matching with a local competitive Yamaha dealer that advertised their new R1's for a stupid low price. Then they wanted to appraise my bike, but before we could go outside and take a look at it, they tried to ask me how much I owe; that answer wasn't coming out until I got my numbers FIRST :gengar:

Long story short, they infact DID come back with the highest appraised value, but I knew I could get them up a little higher, but we'll see...

So we sit down for some hard number crunching. My #1 goal was to get them to buy the R1 for the highest amount possible, and whatever little money is left over to carry it into my new price... That being said, I know I'm going to take a hit, but the size of the hit is based on how much I can get them down... So myself and the sales manager (the sales rep has been pushed aside at this point) begin negotiating like two veteran mortgage brokers... About an hour goes by with back and forth... Each time the number is dropping... $19k OTD, $18,5 OTD, $17k OTD, $16,5 OTD... And now the numbers are finally starting to make sense :yesnod And after about another 30 minutes going back and for with the sales manager (even the owner got involved at one point to approve the numbers) and a couple times I was willing to walk away (even noting that this model is already a year old), we finally came to a number OTD I was more than happy with. They basically paid off my bad loan for free and gave me a killer deal on a '12 R1. Had them write up a sales contract and took that number to my credit union and viola! New 2012 Raven R1 for Mark. :riding

But now we have a slight problem... I need to take most the mods off my bike before turning it in as they give ZERO value to the bike appraisal!!!

So in a day's work starting around noon, I started putting these OEM parts back on the bike:

Aftermarket parts being removed and replaced with OEM:

-Ohlins Shock
-Rizoma Oil Cap
-SSR Gas Cap
-Rizoma Res & Bracket
-Rizoma Grips & Conical Ends
-Ohlins Damper
-Evotech Triple Nut
-D-Zus fasteners
-A&R Motorsports HID's
-Power Commander III USB

Aftermarket bits they are staying with the bike (since I either sold or don't have the OEM parts)

-Galfer Rotors Front & Back (I think I'm done with Galfer anyway)
-Puig DB Windscreen
-Graves Velocity Stacks
-K&N Filter
-Driven Block Off Plates (not worth replacing OEM AIS)
-Sato Racing Rearsets
-Vortex Top Triple (OEM yolk is trashed)
-Brembo MK2 MC
-OEM Solo Cowl

HID removal, D-Zus, gas cap, and oil cap

OEM Damper

OEM Brake res.

Power Commander, Ohlins Shock

So after about 8 hours of labor I have most of the OEM items replaced. All that is left is the Rizoma grips (to be replaced with Rethal's) and if I can find a front master before Friday I could keep the Brembo MK2. :sing:

Looks like some lucky guy is going to inherit all those goodies... :corn

I guess it's safe to say that I'm crossing over to the CROSSPLANE side :ncont::ncont::ncont:

PARTS ARE FOR SALE... OHLINS SHOCK AND POWER COMMANDER FOR NOW... SEE MY SIG!

See less See more
#8 ·
:lol :hammer: Your R1 is still my favorite yellow bike of all time :fact

nice move. team yamaha. lets see what you do to the cross plane now
Thanks brotha! It's hard to move away from Yamaha after the '06 R1... The seed has been planted :yesnod

within twenty minutes of having it you need to flash-tune it!!!
:fact I need to find someone close to LA/Long Beach/The OC until I get an interface

by the way dont hate on "the indian' theme it looks good cleaned up!!
:lol I must say it was pretty corny on the stealership floor, but your's is quite nice! :thumbup

#10 ·
would you be willing to trade me the satos for my stock rearsets ( with some cash obv) if i next day mailed em to ya????

#19 ·
Yep. Berts. I read their horrible Yelp reviews before I even bothered, but numbers don't lie :fact

Prices started at $19k OTD :whtfu:

How were you so upside down on the '06?
I wasn't. That's Bert's ridiculous price tags plus my bad loan, even without the bad loan it wouldn't have been much better.

Nice man! Your 06 was coming along VERY NICELY my friend, I can't wait to see what you've got in store for the new bike! :thumbup

Let me know if you're interested in those brake lines, I can get them right out. :fact
Thanks brotha!!! I'm still pondering on those... Don't be suprised if you get a PM in a week or so :lol

:stpd: :(

This is what Im sayin, 19k otd seems a little errrr a lot high.:confused: Maybe its been awhile since I have payed for a bike...but all my toys are paid in cash up front, I will never finance a toy. If I cant afford it I dont buy it.

Godd luck with the 12 anyhow OP.:thumbup
Everyone spends money differently for different reasons. Just because I finance it now doesn't mean I can't cut a cashier's check :fact I like to use credit for what credit is supposed to be used for... Besides, there's nothing like paying it off with a bonus check and watching your FICO score go higher, and higher, and higher... :thumbup

nice upgrade, cant wait to see what you do with this new one. as for the brakes when the time comes hit up bauce racing aka chiefsmokedawg on here for some brake tech rotors at a killer price.
Thank you kind sir! I'm always looking for the deal. And I think I'm done with Galfer :crash

#14 ·
Nice man! Your 06 was coming along VERY NICELY my friend, I can't wait to see what you've got in store for the new bike! :thumbup

Let me know if you're interested in those brake lines, I can get them right out. :fact

#24 ·
I haven't been late on a bill for almost eight years, but I still can't seem to get into that premier credit bracket. Partly due to child support (eventhough its current it shows) and partially due to a certain debt agency that keeps pulling up a $50 bill from like 10 years ago and reopening it, I refuse to pay that just on principle :lol

#32 ·
:lol there's monster money in this buisness because nobody can get licenced to do it anymore. But there is also MASSIVE PAYMENTS. My boat and gear is just over 82g a year. When I first got started I was a nervous wreck all the time. Drank a lot as a result. Took 7 years of struggle to get where I'm at now. And I do mean struggle

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#37 ·
:shake Dude...you're dead to me. :crash

Have you even ridden the crossplane?

#40 ·
And after an extremely long day of work, she was waiting for me...

And there were a couple items that also arrived today too... :sneaky

Motodynamics Smoked Integrated Tail Light and FE Kit

I must say for a stock bike and all the bad reviews I've been hearing, it was quite a lovely ride home tonight. I immediately turned down the TCS and switched to A mode. Traffic finally let up so I mainly focused on a proper break in, but I was impressed with the power delivery and throttle response. :fact As sad as I was to see the 50th go, I pretty much had the chance to feel them back to back as I rode in on the '06 in Stock attire (along with Graves stacks, K&N Filter, and race baffles) and the '12 bone stock straight out the crate... And the ride home let me know I was not going to miss the '06 :fact Who cares if people say it's low on HP... There is power everywhere. Don't get me wrong, it's a dog and needs some tuning; def not where I want it to be right now :no but all in all, I think this is going to be a really fun bike! :thumbup

#44 ·
Congrats again brotha, the bike sure is a nice looking one and it looks like you're already off to a good start! Let me know if you're interested in those black Spiegler lines. :sing:

#46 ·
i like the all black, stealthy in a way. cant wait to see what you do to this one!

#48 ·
What's the first order of mod business?!?! I LOVE reading through build threads and can't wait to see this one take off brotha! :thumbup

#51 ·
Funny that you asked as I just posted this morning's updates :lol

Still thinking about those lines... I may need them :fact

Just worked a deal on some Leo Vince slipons... I could barely hear the engine on the way home last night :scared

#49 ·
Ok so after my first two hours of labor on the new bike, I'm realizing that not much has changed when it comes to working on the R1. Everything is almost in the same locations, and if they aren't it's nearby. It's almost scary how similar the two bikes are from a mechanic's perspective. I have to run some errands and see the barber, but when I get back I may just start phase two of today's modding :lol

Puig DB Windscreen

SSR Gas Cap

I had to get rid of that fender immediately :lol

Looks better, but I may go with the Competition Werks FE kit that mounts closer to the shock like my '06

Rizoma Grips & Conical Ends

D-Zus fasteners :lol

Also added the Rizoma Oil Cap but didn't snap a pic :dunno

Since I've started working on lights today, I may install the HID's and smoked flushmounts today (using them until the Watsens come in), Evotech Triple Nut, and MAYBE the Rizoma Reservior, Bracket, and Tygon tubing. I was thinking about throwing the Ohlins damper on while I have the bike apart for the HID's but I heard it throws a light if I don't have the resistor- I also heard that code could ge removed with a reflash... I think I remember reading somewhere where someone kept the OEM resistor plugged in the harness to keep from throwing the code... :dunno I'll figure something out :lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.