Upgrade to 2012 R1 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Ride 2gether die 2gether....
 
aalmutawakil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern VA, Tysons Corner
Posts: 63
Talking Upgrade to 2012 R1

So would you sell your 04-06 R1 and get the new one? why or why not?

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home.



Ali Ahmed Almutawakil
aalmutawakil@yahoo.com
4847444222
01 R1
aalmutawakil is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 11:11 AM
I eat my R1
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalmutawakil View Post
So would you sell your 04-06 R1 and get the new one? why or why not?
Yes.

Flash-tune and cross plane. Sound and performance....

2011 R1 Skull Red/Black Edition

Yoshi R77 CF Slip-Ons with M4 Y Pipe
Flash-Tune Interface with FT Quickshifter
PCV with Autotune
K+N Air Filter
Driven Smog Block-Offs
Motodynamics Tail Light
Speigler Brake Lines
Joe-Florida LED Lights
Saddleman Tech Seat
Scorpio i-900 Alarm
Driven D3 Grips
Zero Gravity Corsa Smoke Windscreen
Competition Werkes GP Pegs
Evotech Oil Cap
Driven Front 16T Sprocket (-1)
HID 6000K 55W
Magic Blinker
Proton Flushmounts
etays69 is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: in the dirt
Posts: 12,673
Ideally its best to have both as they're completely different bikes
ss55539 is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 05:03 PM
I eat my R1
 
OptimoPrime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,100
you tryin to start a war???

seriously though the 04-06 guys are fanatical about their rides, most would never look at anything else regardless of performance or sound

1983 yamaha xj550 (SOLD)
1995 kawasaki gpz1100 (engine fail)
2006 suzuki gsxr600 (sold)
1981 yamaha xs450 (sold)
2003 honda superhawk 996 (Sold)
2001 suzuki TL1000r (sold)
2009 yamaha r1 (33k engine overheats SOLD)
2013 bmw s1000rr
OptimoPrime is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Need to change user name;)
 
Luvmy02R1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Northern Cali
Posts: 625
2012..end of discussion!
Luvmy02R1 is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 05:25 PM
I eat my R1
 
IMSTuner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: MASS
Posts: 1,631
07 tru 08 FTW



2008 R1 Black - Gold AVS C5 Levers, Puig DB Wind Screen, EvoTech Sliders Kit, T-Rex Clutch slider, Stomp Tank Pads, LeoVince Ti Factory Evo II CF end caps, Arko Y-Pipe, EvoTech Fender Elim., Proton Signals, PZRacing GearTronic Zero , Q2 tires, Flash-Tune Interface,Brembo RCS Ohlins FRT fork and TTX shock
My Build Thread http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/10-appearance-mods/336353-ims-tuners-08-r1-build-thread.html


YouTube Page http://www.youtube.com/user/imstuner?feature=mhee
IMSTuner is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 08:36 PM
prefers forking over spooning
 
R1PilotDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: WDC
Posts: 623
I have an '05. Bought a '10 last year. TOTALLY different bike and it took a bit of time to get comfortable on the new ride. Very sensitive throttle, abrupt engine braking, feels heavier (because it's a pig)...the older gen is easier to ride.

I bought the Flash Tune interface and made a few changes. My '10 is a blast to ride at high RPM/speeds but not too fun in lower gears putting around town.

I suppose it depends on how you're planning to use the bike. I wouldn't recommend it as a commuter.
R1PilotDC is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 03:28 AM
WERA? \_(ツ)_/ #21
 
iGoldeneye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 2,491
I did just that... Parted with the 06 for a '12... I love them both It's just a matter of preference


Thanks Uncle P!

WERA #21 | INSTAGRAM @igoldeneye21


My 2015 R1M Racebike Build


View my MOD ADDICTED 2012 R1 build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40
Being a biker is not a welfare sport.
iGoldeneye is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 05:06 AM
I eat my R1
 
OptimoPrime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,100
im only guy in town with a new r1 and even though friends have older models i have never ridden any other modern liter bike other then mine.

1983 yamaha xj550 (SOLD)
1995 kawasaki gpz1100 (engine fail)
2006 suzuki gsxr600 (sold)
1981 yamaha xs450 (sold)
2003 honda superhawk 996 (Sold)
2001 suzuki TL1000r (sold)
2009 yamaha r1 (33k engine overheats SOLD)
2013 bmw s1000rr
OptimoPrime is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 05:34 AM
I eat my Night Rod
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 538
kinda curious why this thread is in appearance and mods section
greenc51 is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 05:35 AM
go go juice gonna make me win
 
tnole23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 1,057
what are your pros/cons for upgrading?

the 04-06 is my 2nd favorite looking r1, so if looks is important i wouldn't upgrade. i tend to be a sucker for new tech, so in that sense i would. i think the sound is cool, but i doubt the bike is gonna make u any faster. really comes down to personal preference and the bills in your pocket. i'd personally, wait for next iteration. should be a refresh coming up soon.

FlashTune w/dyno fuel map|RaceTech Suspension|Termignoni CF Slipons|Attack Performance Rearsets|Brembo 19 RCS MC|Renthal Clipons|Dano QS|Akrapovic Y-Pipe|520 (-1/+1)|Hyperpro Damper|BlasterX|MRA Racing DB|Gilles Chain Adjuster| MotionPro Throttle|BMC Air Filter|Graves Smog Plates|GYTR Comfort Seat|Targa Solo Cowl|Tec-Spec Traction Pads|Pazzo Shorties|GB Racing Covers|Spiegler SS Brake Lines|HIDs|Flushmounts|Gear Indicator|Sharkskinz Track Bodywork
tnole23 is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Ride 2gether die 2gether....
 
aalmutawakil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern VA, Tysons Corner
Posts: 63
How much are they weighing at?


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home.



Ali Ahmed Almutawakil
aalmutawakil@yahoo.com
4847444222
01 R1
aalmutawakil is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 06:47 AM
R1, "A Superior Addiction"
 
cyclepsycho7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 11,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimoPrime View Post
you tryin to start a war???

seriously though the 04-06 guys are fanatical about their rides, most would never look at anything else regardless of performance or sound
I'd say your 100% or 99.9% on the money with that statement. I'd never sell my 06 but wouldn't mind getting a newer gen to join my 06 when the finances allow me too!!! What I'd really like to do is make a very radical fighter style new gen R1. When the time is right I'd most likely look for a nice deal on a used 09+ to keep the cost down a bit. I hate removing perfectly good parts but if the price is right it wouldn't bother me as much.

Lucky 13 Squadron

cyclepsycho7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome