Gilles Chain Adjusters - Page 2 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 06:14 AM
I eat my R1

the lightechs are easier because you need no tools to adjust them. they also cost significatly more. the TCA style gilles like i showed you just loosed axle nut and turn each side with allen tool and retighten axle nut.

i wouldnt sit on these on a stand though. they do move around on their own when you have wheel removed.(its only that lil 8mm bolt that holds your whole bike up, i'll use the bobbins because thats what they are designed for) im good 240 and i sit on my bike with the boobins on the stand and feel comfortable doing so. would never do that off the adjusters

1983 yamaha xj550 (SOLD)
1995 kawasaki gpz1100 (engine fail)
2006 suzuki gsxr600 (sold)
1981 yamaha xs450 (sold)
2003 honda superhawk 996 (Sold)
2001 suzuki TL1000r (sold)
2009 yamaha r1 (33k engine overheats SOLD)
2013 bmw s1000rr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 06:16 AM
I eat my R1

Yep, the one I was referencing aren't the ones pictured above. The adjusters extended a few inches beyond the swinger and that's what bent/failed in the pics I saw.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 06:39 AM
I'm an Englishman in WI.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMichael View Post
Well I just bought them today on ebay so I don't have them yet.. I'll get pics up as soon as I get them.

These are the ones I bought, only mine were used.

https://www.motomummy.com/chain-adju...ain-adjusters/

Are you sure that's what you bought, don't you have an 05?

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 07:10 AM
I eat my R1

god i love getting good deals on top end parts. have less then 500 in both the gilles rearsets and adjusters and the rearsets retail for 580 this forum is good to us!

1983 yamaha xj550 (SOLD)
1995 kawasaki gpz1100 (engine fail)
2006 suzuki gsxr600 (sold)
1981 yamaha xs450 (sold)
2003 honda superhawk 996 (Sold)
2001 suzuki TL1000r (sold)
2009 yamaha r1 (33k engine overheats SOLD)
2013 bmw s1000rr
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 08:08 AM
R1 Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimoPrime View Post
the lightechs are easier because you need no tools to adjust them. they also cost significatly more. the TCA style gilles like i showed you just loosed axle nut and turn each side with allen tool and retighten axle nut.

i wouldnt sit on these on a stand though. they do move around on their own when you have wheel removed.(its only that lil 8mm bolt that holds your whole bike up, i'll use the bobbins because thats what they are designed for) im good 240 and i sit on my bike with the boobins on the stand and feel comfortable doing so. would never do that off the adjusters
I'm about 80-90lbs lighter so maybe that's why I'm ok with it

Hey Greenstreak, it's z064life lazy ass

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/50-r1-012-%60phantom-squadron%60/
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgecko View Post
Are you sure that's what you bought, don't you have an 05?
No those aren't the EXACT ones. Yeah, I've got an 05. I bought them on ebay so there's a huge possibility I got railroaded with some cheap aftermarket crap..

But idk, I'll wait till they get here to decide. To me, they looked just like any Gilles that I've ever seen, just used. Some scuffs, Nothing to remove paint (powdercoat?) but scuffs nonetheless..

Overall they looked good.
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 09:52 AM
My R1 thinks she's a Twin

Just picked up a set as well from MM(thanks Corey) haven't fitted them yet but they are the TCA items and look trick. They also seem straight forward to fit and not too different from stock but then again, I'm ok with the technical stuff when I have the tools!
Mike

Petrol Spice, You Da MAN!!!

WGP 50th Anniversary #95 Akrapovic carbon cans,Akrapovic Ti Y pipe,Watsen flush mounts,ASV leavers,Driven preload adjusters,Rizoma track-77 signals, Puig fender eliminator,Puig DB screen,Driven spools,Harris clear tank pad,Graves clutch kit, Driven 520 kit,Gilles Ti axle nut,Gilles TCA-GP chain adjusters,Driven sprocket nuts, Sato rearsets,GYTR no cut frame sliders,Goodridge SS lines,ECUnleashed tune
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm an Englishman in WI.

Garage
Quote:
No those aren't the EXACT ones. Yeah, I've got an 05. I bought them on ebay so there's a huge possibility I got railroaded with some cheap aftermarket crap..

But idk, I'll wait till they get here to decide. To me, they looked just like any Gilles that I've ever seen, just used. Some scuffs, Nothing to remove paint (powdercoat?) but scuffs nonetheless..

Overall they looked good.
Is this them?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140882137444...84.m1423.l2649

post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeahhhhhh
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 10:47 AM
I'm an Englishman in WI.

Garage
Quote:
Yeahhhhhh
Those are good, genuine Gilles.
They will be fine and secure, haven't had a problem with mine in over 5 years. Problems didn't start until 07> as the swingers are different.

post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 10:52 AM
look for special phrase here

Gecko, was it a problem with the adjusters themselves on those models? Or was it mainly user error?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
Quit shaking your head, you're creating a draft!

The Man, The Legend Uncle P

Phantom Squadron CO Check Out Phantom Squadron Here
post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Those are good, genuine Gilles.
They will be fine and secure, haven't had a problem with mine in over 5 years. Problems didn't start until 07> as the swingers are different.
Hell yeah!! I appreciate it!

Thanks brah!!
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 11:02 AM
I'm an Englishman in WI.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstreak9205 View Post
Gecko, was it a problem with the adjusters themselves on those models? Or was it mainly user error?

Don't take this as Gospel PJ but the problem as I'm aware (and have seen) is that the 07> swinger is thicker at the rear where the adjusters actually clamp. This means that they don't necessarily sit square and can stop the adjusters sitting flat and effect the clamping ability of the axle. This is why (I believe) they ask you put back the OEM adjuster bolts to stop the wheel from moving forward should that in fact happen.
I have seen NO examples of >06 having a problem and when fitted correctly they sit perfectly flat and will not effect the axle clamping force.

Like I say this is not anything official.

There were of course some examples of dipshits spacing them out with washers and stuff on extended swingers and the like, but then they get what they deserve

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 11:12 AM
look for special phrase here

Thanks for insight :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
Quit shaking your head, you're creating a draft!

The Man, The Legend Uncle P

Phantom Squadron CO Check Out Phantom Squadron Here
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 03:02 AM
Cheating death in the "D"

I have the original design Gilles adjusters & lifters, mine are between 8-9 years old and I have never had any issues with them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0756 copy.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	477464  

Last edited by rorlow; 11-25-2012 at 05:13 AM.
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 09:43 PM
kickin' at the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxcorey View Post
I hope you got the TCA model. They got rid of the other model as they had issues as stated above. You ahd to use the oem bolts in addition to the Gilles chain adjusters to ensure you wouldn't have an issue.
so i'm not smoking the cheap stuff then!... yeh i couldnt remember what the issue was., thanks for posting.

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, Leo Vince EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS, GYTR, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech chain adjust, ANNITORI RL
CLEVER WOLF CF, RIZOMA grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18,

Last edited by bacchus40; 11-25-2012 at 10:00 PM.
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 10:25 PM
WOG

Still think your smokin the cheap stuff. But your ok in my book.

Sig courtesy of my brotha from down unda PetrolSpice
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 10:49 PM
kickin' at the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPanega SS View Post
Still think your smokin the cheap stuff. But your ok in my book.
think again mate... i live in British Columbia, 'nough said

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, Leo Vince EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS, GYTR, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech chain adjust, ANNITORI RL
CLEVER WOLF CF, RIZOMA grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18,
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 PM
MummyMan

nope, as all the gsxr models had to use the oem bolts as well. It was a design flaw in the entire design. It's not likely you'll have an issue, but after a certain number of people did they recommend that the old model all use the oem bolts and then they moved the TCA model for all bikes from then on and even went backwards with the TCA adjusters a decent amount.

A very small % had issues, but a few that did 100% installed them right and that is when Gilles decided it was time to recommend the oem bolt be used and changed their design. Odds are you will not have an issue, but I wouldn't risk it when you're talking about your rear wheel. Just use the oem bolts in addition with them.

Quote:
Don't take this as Gospel PJ but the problem as I'm aware (and have seen) is that the 07> swinger is thicker at the rear where the adjusters actually clamp. This means that they don't necessarily sit square and can stop the adjusters sitting flat and effect the clamping ability of the axle. This is why (I believe) they ask you put back the OEM adjuster bolts to stop the wheel from moving forward should that in fact happen.
I have seen NO examples of >06 having a problem and when fitted correctly they sit perfectly flat and will not effect the axle clamping force.

Like I say this is not anything official.

There were of course some examples of dipshits spacing them out with washers and stuff on extended swingers and the like, but then they get what they deserve
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 07:11 AM
Banned

ive got the older model, havent had an issue. i would of preferred the lightechs but not available for my year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode