Which suspension? - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25
Which suspension?

If you were to build a race bike (2009 R1) would you go with an Ohlins suspension or the traxxion dynamics Penske shocks and AK gas charged forks? The gas forks really have me interested, I know Ohlins has the popularity vote for being used on GP bikes and come stock on higher performance Race version bikes but if you were building the bike from stock which brand would you use and why?

I did some reading on gas charged forks and is it really that big of a difference vs regular inverted forks?
RinksRacing is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Take the red pill
 
drjak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 6,344
Toss up really, both sound like excellent options. Max @ Traxxion knows his shit. The Ohlins will probably hold their value better down the road when it's time to sell. Don't think you can go wrong either way.
drjak is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjak View Post
Toss up really, both sound like excellent options. Max @ Traxxion knows his shit. The Ohlins will probably hold their value better down the road when it's time to sell. Don't think you can go wrong either way.

I went on the Ohlins website but didn't find much for pictures or descriptions on the suspension parts. I know Ohlins also does gas charged forks, I was wanting to see what the price difference was between brands and what level of performance you get from each company.

I know they all make great products but I was wanting to see the adjustability part for each company, example being how many clicks for high speed compression and ect. the Penske 8970 on traxxions website claimed to have the most unrivaled tuning adjustments for a rear shock but any brand can polish up what they say for sales.
RinksRacing is offline  
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 09:35 PM
R1 Forum Star
 
z064life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 16,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinksRacing View Post
I went on the Ohlins website but didn't find much for pictures or descriptions on the suspension parts. I know Ohlins also does gas charged forks, I was wanting to see what the price difference was between brands and what level of performance you get from each company.

I know they all make great products but I was wanting to see the adjustability part for each company, example being how many clicks for high speed compression and ect. the Penske 8970 on traxxions website claimed to have the most unrivaled tuning adjustments for a rear shock but any brand can polish up what they say for sales.
Gas charged ohlins used are in the 7k range.

Hey Greenstreak, it's z064life lazy ass

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/50-r1-012-%60phantom-squadron%60/
z064life is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Venom X/O
 
Gearheaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 21,522
I'd say budget build would be the cartridges, and if you have the really big wallet, gas Ohlins forks



Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
I'd say budget build would be the cartridges, and if you have the really big wallet, gas Ohlins forks

Yeah I dont have the wallet for 7k forks so guess I will be going with the cartridges lol.

Has anyone here raced a bike with gas vs regular inverted forks?
RinksRacing is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome