Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Few questions after installing Graves velocity stacks on 5VY

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  bacchus40 
#1 · (Edited)
Recently purchased my first R1... it's a 2005... rode a YZF600R for 5yrs... then an '01 FZ1 for the last year...

First off this is a great forum, but you guys are a BAD influence... I have been searching extensively...

Performance wise the bike is stock + Yosh slip ons... although the bike has great power above 7k... I wanted a bit more midrange... and found a good deal on a set of Graves velocity stacks... wanted FP, but these kinda fell in my lap...

after installI rode to work 1hr ea way... interstate on the inbound trip & fun roads on the way home... I noticed a different (almost pulsating) sound in the mid-higher RPMS... I read that the intake sound would change... is this the sound they are referring to or ???

Definitely a little more mid range... but felt like it pulled harder at part throttle than at full throttle... it seemed to do this also before the stacks... but not as noticeable... wondering if this is a tune issue or maybe related to TPS or Exup valve???

I have ordered a PC5 & BMC race filter & have plans to gut the cat... more to alleviate temp under the seat than all out peformance!! Does anybody have a suggestion for a good base map... I will be getting the bike dyno tuned as time allows..

If I can get a set of Factory Performance velocity stacks for a good price... is it worth upgrading from the Graves???

See less See more
#9 ·
this,... Stacks depend on ram air... need tuned period :nerd:

#7 ·
OK.. gutted the cat & installed PCV yesterday... I installed the map for full Akro exhaust w/ graves velocity etacks..

It did cut down on the heat a lil... on my hour commute to work... very smooth & linear power... and ran great on the way home... except maybe the last 20 miles or so...

Seemed to be doing the same kind of light stuttering (not as bad)... and didn't seem to be pulling as smoothly... esp when rolling on the power in 4th-5th-6th...

I did stop & fill up with Shell 93... before the last 30 mi...

Not sure if it has something to do with the bike getting hot???

Any ideas what to check???

#11 · (Edited)
my 09 ran rough after i installed the Graves Stacks, I needed to tune for them... i had Arrow headers coming so i just did a quick couple runs on AutoTune to smooth it out..

this was running a custom tune for 3/4 exhaust... sound from airbox was loud and throaty and she wanted to run rich

its not about the hp you're right, its about having it run like it should.. oem mapping is not designed for stacks, and vice-versa

i've never liked canned tunes... even if it runs okay in a certain area at a time of day once the bike heats up things change n' it may not always work :dunno

i am now much better at knowing when its not running right

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.