Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

I need advice for my custom exhaust setup

794 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  //1 
#1 ·
Ok I absolutely hate my akrapovic can on my r1. I ordered this exhaust from the Netherlands but it's made to be use with the stock headers. This means the mid pipe does not work with the headers. Can I get an exhaust adapter fabricated so my new can will work on my akra midpipe? It will mount up to the hanger no problem. Here are the measurements. So would a 50mm to 60mm exhaust adapter work?

[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

See less See more
#2 ·
Get an exhaust shop to weld a fitting on to the mid pipe to accept your new exhaust can. While your at it, have them tack some loops for spring hooks on the can so you can use those instead of clamps.

edit: I see in one of the pics your exhaust can already has the loops on it.

#4 ·
yea it has one loop. i might add anther one for added safety. I kinda don't want to weld anything to the mid pipe just because if I ever want to go back to the akra can for a track day or something, I can't. I might track down anther mid pipe. I ordered this so hopefully I could get away without welding anything. If all fails, I'll take it to a muffler shop and hack up my akra mid. This exhaust does sound AMAZING. So deep and refined.

#3 ·
you should be able to buy a reducer off the shelf from a pipe supplier.
otherwise, its a piece of cake to make one from two 1 inch long offcuts of pipe of the appropriate size.
It might require slicing a few milimetres off the midpipe for alignment, but should be easy as

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.