Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Bought a bike with a flash tune, time to reflash, what do I need?

1K views 13 replies 2 participants last post by  Tad158 
#1 ·
I bought a 2010 r1 with a graves low mount gp exhaust, its horribly loud so I've decided to go with a stock header, catless mid pipe and yoshi r77 cans. The tune isn't greatest, no engine braking, idle spikes in gear, very excessive popping on decel, so I want to reflash to the 3/4ths exhaust tune. I have the tuning cable that's married to the bike, but what software do I need? Is the process like any other reflash? romraider, uprev etc. Anyone want to chime in and help me out with a reflash for dummies course?

#2 ·
Sorry I haven't got back to your pm, been wicked busy.

I would recommend getting an m4 y pipe, as it will flow much much better than the gutted cat will:fact

Go to flash-tune.com, and sign up for an account. Download the software, and run it. It will be pretty self explanatory. F-T has some videos, abd the like. There is the FAQ there's here abd feel free to post questions in the help thread.

The biggest hangup here is that the previous user still owns the licence to the ECU. So you may have to buy a licence, or get the former owner to talk to flash-tune and see if they can transfer the licence to you.

You do have a new style interface correct? Not a gold box?

As for the image, in the software, you can download my most current image for your bike. It will probably be better than what is in there now. On the matter of no engine breaking, we worked really hard to get rid as much as we could. There are some easy ways to put some back in if you want. But I would make small changes one at a time to see what changes you like and don't like.

You can probably get a nice price selling the low mount here on this forum. It would probably finance the exhaust switch.

#3 ·
no worries mate, I was hoping you were still active on the forums. I'm just glad I was able to get in contact with you, I was under the assumption the USB cable had the licensing on it. So can I load the image you have listed and use it directly on the file download box? Or would I still need a license? Could I use his account on flash tune? and I went with the dan moto mid pipe, I know cheaper, but still functional. I will be listing the exhaust for a hella good deal but I need to get this issue corrected first, as I think he may have played with the fuel tables and created some issues.

#4 ·
First answer the question about the cable you have.

New style our gold box?

#5 ·
I will be able to tell you tomorrow evening. I'm about 500 miles from my bike at the moment, but I believe its the new style, it was all done last year or in '14. I haven't scene a gold box, just a black usb cable. I'll snap a pic and post it to confirm.

#6 ·
If it is installed into the harness on the ECU, and then you have basically a USB cord that plugs into a connector in the ECU harness, then you have a new harness.

So let's just go under that assumption that you have a new style cable.

With the new cable, the software is linked to the cable and user account. Evey time you flash the bike, the software connects to the F-T server, and checks the ECU against the licence that the F-T server has on file.

So in that case I would get from the seller one of two things. One, what account name was when he flashed it, or two, get him to contact F-T and see if they can transfer the licence to your account. At some level, you could use his account, but he would have to give you access to it, and then you go in and change all the info. That might be the simplest option. Dint know how much contact you still have with the seller.

The worst case is that you need to buy a licence, for 100$....but I would contact F-T first and see if you can get it sorted out.

#7 ·
You're right. That's exactly what I have. I talked with F-T today. They cannot transfer the lisence to me. Because it's linked to the Email address on the account. I have texted the seller twice today, never got a response. Hopefully he will respond, however I'm not going to let 100.00 stop me from ridding.

Attachments

#8 ·
Ok cool. For now, install the software and get familiar with it. Did F-T say they coolant transfer the license without the other account info, or that they would not do it at all?

#9 ·
I'm inder the impression that they can't at all. I did get in touch with the seller, he said he would give me his account info no prob. I have loaded the software on my work tablet (surface pro 3) and I have gone threw some of the features. I saw your tunes on there as well and what was labeled "US unrestricted" is that tune the one I'm looking for? I'm going to be running stock header, dan Moto mid pipe and yoshi r77 cans. And k&n filter. What are your thoughts?

#10 ·
You want my tune out of the user file share. The F-T unrestricted image is a stock image with no ECU restrictions, so the fuel and timing is still basically stock. My image is far from stock and tuned all together fit a super smooth bike, for those mods that you have.

My images have track tune in the title. Not unrestricted.

#12 ·
It is posted in the FAQ thread as well.

Tomorrow I will give you the link directly if you would like....

#14 · (Edited)
This is a link to where the files are posted here with detailed release notes:
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/7398169-post11651.html

Here is where you can find my images on the user share tab of the Flash-Tune software file manager.

Give the file as is a ride first, to see what you think, the start messing around with it.

If you want a little more engine braking switch the extend idle to false.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.