Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

power loss from dented headers?

832 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Tad158 
#1 · (Edited)
do the headers really make a difference?

so do you really need to write a check for $2K+ for an exhaust system with the headers or are some rusted beat up junk just as good?
this video doesn't feature a bike but a car engine instead. very interesting test. they beat up a set of headers and used a dyno to see the results.

#2 ·
There's a big difference between a 1 liter motor that revs to 15k and a 6.55 liter motor that revs to 7k... but I think the results would be somewhat similar. A good flowing header doesn't need to be pretty to function. I think the biggest use of aftermarket headers is to smooth out the power curve and to move the max HP and Torque rpms around to make the most effective use on the track.

#4 ·
I would also say that those headers on that motor may have been over sized to start with....so squashing it down some didn't hurt it. The R1 may not have that luxury.....:dunno

#5 ·
P.S. those guys on roadkill are awesome! I wish they would do a bike episode....like fix up a bike ride it to the track do a track day/weekend then ride home...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.