Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Tank protectors - what do you have?

4K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  gkamp 
#1 ·
Hey guys/gals,

The dealership dented my beautiful white tank on my r1 and so they replaced it with a new one but no tank protector, noticed already with one week of riding small scratches where my jacket rubs.

Anyhow, my question is what does everyone have on their tank and if they'd share some pictures and have any advice for a good coverage, quality and stylish tank protector.

My bike is going to be used for mostly daily riding but will have some bike show days and maybe some track days.

She's a blank white canvas what should I put on her? :)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Have had my eye on those especially for the sides. My inner legs get sooooo hot from the tank I get home and they are all red from my commute. Not sure if you ride in very very hot weather but do they offer any thermal insulation as well? You have it on the center of the tank too?

#9 ·
Where I'm at it's steadily been in the 90's and sunny this summer, and my bike gets very hot at times. The tank pads are nice though, I feel like they help disperse the heat and make the ride more comfortable. I have them on the sides and on the middle of the tank and I have no complaints so far. I've heard storm grip is great too, but the techspec pads I have seem to be thicker which may help soak up some more heat. I have the techspec c3 tank pads for the 16' R1. I'm pretty sure the pads have similar coverage on the earlier generations as well. I like the way those stormgrips look though, it seems like they offer more protection in the middle than mine do. The bumps on them look like they would be grippy as hell! Maybe a little weird feeling on the legs though. I don't have any experience with them though.

#21 ·
Well everyone just a update, went with techspec, as she will be a commuter with occasional twisties I wanted something with softer padding and grip with some insulating properties, thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions, defiantly helped with my decision.

#23 ·
Maybe after awhile with these I'll try them, the only turn off for me was the little knobs on stomps purely visual. I was torn between the two. I'm glad you told me about them because I didn't even consider them before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.