Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

R1 performance mods

17K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Jim_Joe_Bob 
#1 ·
Hey guys I am new to this site, seems pretty cool. Just out of curiosity, how much horsepower can you get out of an R1 without a turbo assuming money is not an issue.

#4 · (Edited)
money, and heat.. you're asking a loaded question OP.. the R1 has been modified over the years and each model has its capabilities
and how it likes to make power. Its definitely not a straight forward answer but they break down like this, per model.

1998–1999
2000–2001
2002–2003
2004–2005
2006 (slight engine upgrade over 04-05)
2007-2008
2009-2011 Fly-by wire Crossplane
2012-2014 (same as 09 but with traction control)
2015 - upgraded Crossplane engine, lots of advanced electronics

you are best to ask questions per actual R1 iteration as it gets a little complicated otherwise :lol

Reactions: cyclepsycho7
#9 ·
I mean unless you're looking for a nice fancy dyno sheet with Max HP values for your bike I think my personal gravitation towards the r1 is the smoothness and response. I'd rather have good control over max HP any day and that's the comments you normally get from track guys/pro racers is the control in corners.

#10 · (Edited)
sure but proper HP and torque is fun as all fvck.. if anything dont bother looking at peak numbers, having a proper torque curve (what? torque on an i4? lol)
and a smooth power curve with no dips or valleys is way more important. Stacks improve throttle response like you would not believe and if you've never
ridden an R1 with proper stacks top and bottom then you're seriously missing out.. >:)

a lot of uninformed folks tend do do more reading than actual analyzing / riding. its always in the little details where you find the biggest improvements.

yes the R1 is a monster of a bike, any year really, but for the most these are bikes that have certain short-comings out of the box and its up to a
proper modder to get the best out of them.. I'm a freak when it comes to research on these things and once i get my brain spinning i just cant let it
go till i try it. I always come out the other end thinking.. MOOAARRRRHHHH!! :eek:wwn3d :finger

Very nice breakdown. :thumbup:drum::bow:bow

Many R1 people don't realize the difference between the 04-5 model vs the 06. You know your bikes. I'm like you, pay attention to detail. That's why I'll never sell my 06 R1 + the fact I have about 12g's into it. I haven't had anything newer and I'm pretty sure that if I rode one of the newer bikes I feel the improvements but I really don't need anything better at this point in my life + I'm in love with the look, even if it is a bit aged at this point. :scoots:
thanks but i cant take credit for the break-down.. just copy pasted actual year(s) direct from wikipedia..
the added notes are my own but simple if you've been on this board for 10 years :hammer:

Personally I tend to stay away from remarks like, this is all i really need. Things have changed drastically over the years; yes there are many members on here who
have tried the newer bikes but did not enjoy the ride as much as they thought. I hesitate they would have the same to say if were to ride a stock bike vs one with
all the goodies and the kitchen sink tossed at it.. But then thats the issue as mentioned above isnt it? Once you've spent time and money building your own R1, its
really hard to wanna toss it away and start clean again.!

I'm not one to buy used motorcycles so for me, the bike needs to be really fvcking special to want time / money spent on it now.
I pulled a 180 a year ago this time and decided to buy a power cruiser/chopper just to switch it up but i do have my eye on the
new R1.. that thing has got to be a monster to ride :lol

#12 ·
wow, sounds like fun.. Yeh i've got too many interests and too little patience to build a bike from scratch..
I just called up a Yamaha dealer and asked for the blue one with all the bling :hammer:

2014 Star Raider S!.. :fork

Reactions: cyclepsycho7
#14 ·
surprise? uhmm.. maybe you need better wrist control, my ham-fisted friend :crash

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.