I see gold in my future! The Austin Yellow R1. - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
R1 Farmland Racer

I see gold in my future! The Austin Yellow R1.

Hello! My name is Nick and my winter project is a complete redesign of my 09 R1. I help my girlfriend run a fairly popular Instagram account (33k+ followers) and decided that I wanted to make my R1 stand out from the crowd so we can grow our brand.

I chose to paint my bike BMW Austin Yellow Metallic.

I didn't want to pay someone to do this so 100% of the work is will be done by me. I bought all my supplies and started reading! I expect this project to cost around $350-400 all said and done.

Below are some pics! So far I have sanded and primed all of my plastics. They are ready for a full paint job and clear coat when I have a few hours some weekend. I will be adding a lot more. I designed my own indoor paint booth with ventilation and painted all of this in my basement. Along with that I wrapped my exhaust and high heat painted my yoshi cans.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by Syzergy; 01-14-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
R1 Farmland Racer

Let me explain what these pics are:

THe first three are my homemade paint booth. It is a large enclosed greenhouse essentially. I purchased a greenhouse kit online for $60. It it just barely big enough for this project! I dont really need to walk around many of my pieces so they just hang in the center. It works very well!

Ventilation is a cheap $15 bathroom exhaust fan hooked up to an exhuast port that leads outside my house. The basement im painting in gets a little bad but no one is down here when I am. The upstairs of my house has zero smell so it works well!

My poor bike is the last picture! Black treated wrap (so it stays black) and my yoshi cans with high heat paint. This looks awesome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File_002.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	911265   Click image for larger version

Name:	File_001.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	911273   Click image for larger version

Name:	File_000 (1).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	911281   Click image for larger version

Name:	File_003.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	911289  

Last edited by Syzergy; 01-14-2017 at 10:34 AM.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 01:33 PM
kickin' at the darkness

let me be the 1st to say.. in for the pics

great choice in color! i love that Beemer yellow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, Leo Vince EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS, GYTR, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech chain adjust, ANNITORI RL
CLEVER WOLF CF, RIZOMA grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18,
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 05:47 PM
"What"

Garage
Looking forward to the end product. Is Instagram like youtube where you make money with a certain amount of followers?.

Sig By Petrol Spice.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 06:57 PM
Mad Thou Rider

did you paint over the rivets etc as well on the cans?

Would have looked nice if youd removed the rivets etc, then put them back on after paint. could have even painted tome rivets as well so the rivets on your pipes matched the colour of the bike - we paint rivets at work sometimes when we need them to match the rest of the job.

Looking forard to pics though, dont think Ive seen an R1 that colour before!

" border="0" />
thanks petrol!!
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
R1 Farmland Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai. View Post
Looking forward to the end product. Is Instagram like youtube where you make money with a certain amount of followers?.
Yes, we recently started monetizing the Instagram!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
did you paint over the rivets etc as well on the cans?

Would have looked nice if youd removed the rivets etc, then put them back on after paint. could have even painted tome rivets as well so the rivets on your pipes matched the colour of the bike - we paint rivets at work sometimes when we need them to match the rest of the job.

Looking forard to pics though, dont think Ive seen an R1 that colour before!
I did actually. I never thought of doing that! I think either would have looked good. The uniform matte black looks so sleek and much better than the chrome it was. And yepp thats why I picked this color!
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 11:24 PM
Owner of the color changing R1

looks good. i used to have a second set of plastics that would do paint jobs on. My 09 R1 has been racing green metallic, i wasnt happy with the end results, then it was grey/silver which i loved but the paint (duplicolor paint shop) was very thin and got beat up by rocks on backroads, then i went with Burnt orange. it was always fun making the bike a new color, and everytime i did it people at work would think i bought a new bike haha. but sadly i had moved and got an apartment with a smaller garage so i lost my "paint booth" area.
heres a few pics

the stock color and the spare plastics in prep haha

damn its been so long since ive looked at my photobucket page i forgot what some of these paint jobs looked like. kinda wish i still had that second set of plastics now.
and how i keep the bike looking now, only "custom" paint on it now is all the black panels are a silver metallic black color instead of the stock gloss black.

damn sorry, i didnt mean to thread jack or anything
cyclepsycho7 likes this.

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron

Competition Werkes slipons, Leo Ypipe, PCV, -1/+1 520 conversion, Flashtune.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
R1 Farmland Racer

Update! I have been a bit busy on the weekends recently so I have not been working much on this project. I've got my tail section completed though and fully clear coated. It looks great! In addition to that I have my y pipe wrapped in black wrap and my yoshi exhaust painted matte black with high heat paint. It looks fantastic.

I'm addition to that I painted my stock rearsets black with some normal spray paint..... We will see how long this lasts. May need to spring for black or gold aftermarkets.

I've got all my plastic on the shelfs currently that came with my bike that is fully faired as well.... Lots of plastics. White ones are primed ready to paint.

I've still got a lot of work left but it's getting there!

Dai. likes this.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:07 PM
I eat my R1

looks great!
defs going to have to buy a set of fairings to change the colour up on mine from time to time

First Bike - 2012 300 Ninja ABS SOLD
Now - 2010 R1
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:32 PM
kickin' at the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1nStang View Post
damn sorry, i didnt mean to thread jack or anything
this guy and his color swaps.. i thought i was color blind

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, Leo Vince EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS, GYTR, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech chain adjust, ANNITORI RL
CLEVER WOLF CF, RIZOMA grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18,
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 06:41 PM

no more color swaps these days sadly

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
R1 Farmland Racer

Having issues with a few spots on my upper fairing. Getting some sort of reaction from something on the plastic.

None of my other pieces had this issue and even 99% of this pieces is fine. Not entirely sure what the cause is. Whatever it was it ate through my primer and base coat but only in these tiny areas. I used a razer blade to cut these spots out only to reveal that my primer didn't stick either. Just straight black bare plastic underneath. I filled these cuts with body filler. Will attempt to sand and respray soon. Any ideas?

All other pieces turned out great!

R1nStang likes this.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:35 PM

Contamination of some kind. Maybe some old paint was left there. Primer may have been to thick. Did you wipe the parts down with rubbing alcohol before paint to ensure no oil or grease from fingers for on them

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
R1 Farmland Racer

Quote:
Contamination of some kind. Maybe some old paint was left there. Primer may have been to thick. Did you wipe the parts down with rubbing alcohol before paint to ensure no oil or grease from fingers for on them
I ended up cutting those spots out with a razor, filling the holes with body filler, sanding that smooth, reapplied primer to that area, and re-painted. Came out great this time! Not too sure what caused it but hey, its good now.

I got all my pieces clear coated now. The smaller pieces came out perfect. A quick buff and they are good to go. The larger pieces did not fair so well and I got a bit to spray happy. A few minor runs on several pieces so once I get those taken care of we are good.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
R1 Farmland Racer

Unbuffed. These two pieces turned out almost flawless. Very very slight orange peel on the left one. Right one is good.

Had a buddy suggest I clear coat the stickers. What a great idea! It looks so much better than if I threw them on top of the clear coat.

post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syzergy View Post

Unbuffed. These two pieces turned out almost flawless. Very very slight orange peel on the left one. Right one is good.

Had a buddy suggest I clear coat the stickers. What a great idea! It looks so much better than if I threw them on top of the clear coat.

Awesome man. Glad you got it all done. Looks good. As for the orange peel just wet and that stuff off and then polish to a shine

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 01:50 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
R1 Farmland Racer

Almost finished! God this color is so beautiful. I'm extremely happy with my choice.

It was 65 here on a winter day in PA. Very unusual but I took advantage of it. Installed new HIDs and changed the oil and filter.

Only things left in this project is to finish up prepping the tank plastic and one of larger side fairings. I will also be swapping out the ugly chrome wheels for black ones. Had a shop put the new Q3s on this morning as well.

bacchus40 and R1nStang like this.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 08:31 PM

Looks great man. Dammit.. You're gonna make me wanna start projects again... Oh who am I kidding I already have the paint to do pieces for my FJR..I just decided to ride today instead of prep haha. And chrome wheels.... Those weren't stock were they?? I don't think Yamaha would do to to you haha

post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
R1 Farmland Racer

Quote:
Looks great man. Dammit.. You're gonna make me wanna start projects again... Oh who am I kidding I already have the paint to do pieces for my FJR..I just decided to ride today instead of prep haha. And chrome wheels.... Those weren't stock were they?? I don't think Yamaha would do to to you haha

Do it. I dare you. Go with an exotic color. Idk if they are stock TBH. I searched quite a bit and couldn't find any stock chrome wheels. Oh well! Who wants em!

Black wheels are on and I plan on finishing the plastics this weekend. Everything is looking good! No more sneak peeks till its all finished!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode