09-14 R1 Tank Crash Protector - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

4Likes
  • 2 Post By Scuuuba_Steve
  • 2 Post By logisticz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
I <3 My R1

09-14 R1 Tank Crash Protector

I am not talking about the techspec/stompgrip tank pads! just wondering what crash protectors everyone is running for 09-14 R1. and WHERE did you purchase it from? the previous owner of my bike had a crash and minor scratch/dent where the tank protector would go. im thinking of getting the R&G carbon protector. I want to cover it up and also prevent more damage to the tank if i something ever happens.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:04 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticz View Post
I am not talking about the techspec/stompgrip tank pads! just wondering what crash protectors everyone is running for 09-14 R1. and WHERE did you purchase it from? the previous owner of my bike had a crash and minor scratch/dent where the tank protector would go. im thinking of getting the R&G carbon protector. I want to cover it up and also prevent more damage to the tank if i something ever happens.

Thanks!
Frame sliders go a long way in terms of protection. A frame slider would more than likely protect your tank. This is what I had on my 14 and I dropped my bike twice when I lost my footing and absolutely zero damage

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...a-r1-2009-2014

Now, on my 16 I have a stunt cage.
Pookidoll and gkamp like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
I <3 My R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuuuba_Steve View Post
Frame sliders go a long way in terms of protection. A frame slider would more than likely protect your tank. This is what I had on my 14 and I dropped my bike twice when I lost my footing and absolutely zero damage

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...a-r1-2009-2014

Now, on my 16 I have a stunt cage.
yup! i have the whole shogun slider kit (frame, bar end and swingarm). im just "overprotective" of my investments i want to get the G&B engine covers too
bacchus40 and gkamp like this.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:27 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
yup! i have the whole shogun slider kit (frame, bar end and swingarm). im just "overprotective" of my investments i want to get the G&B engine covers too
Are those bar ends weighed? Looking for something to maybe cut a little high frequency vibrations at 80-85mph

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:51 PM
kickin' at the darkness

Quote:
my 09 has all exact bits. Shogun does some great work.

specifically THIS kit, as the machined brackets that extend out of the body work to hold the pucks are an art form onto themselves

https://moto911.com/shop/shogun-fram...frame-sliders/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, Leo Vince EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS, GYTR, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech chain adjust, ANNITORI RL
CLEVER WOLF CF, RIZOMA grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18,
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
I <3 My R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamp View Post
Are those bar ends weighed? Looking for something to maybe cut a little high frequency vibrations at 80-85mph
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
my 09 has all exact bits. Shogun does some great work.

specifically THIS kit, as the machined brackets that extend out of the body work to hold the pucks are an art form onto themselves

https://moto911.com/shop/shogun-fram...frame-sliders/
thats the exact one i have. the no cut. i guess ill be purchasing the tank protectors direct from R&G, might as well the the engine covers too
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:21 PM
kickin' at the darkness

Quote:
thats the exact one i have. the no cut. i guess ill be purchasing the tank protectors direct from R&G, might as well the the engine covers too
yup, great sliders.. there was no way i was gonna cut my fairings; and those brackets really give confidence they'll stand up in a fall nicely

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, Leo Vince EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS, GYTR, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech chain adjust, ANNITORI RL
CLEVER WOLF CF, RIZOMA grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18,
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:09 PM
Crossed Up

I have the R&G on mine. The fit was perfect, and I have zero issues with them.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:12 PM
Crossed Up

The only pic I have have that shows them decently,
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:26 PM
kickin' at the darkness

i dont like R&G case covers. bubbly plastic looking yuck

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 10:45 AM
Crossed Up

Quote:
i dont like R&G case covers. bubbly plastic looking yuck
Except that's not even what he's talking about. Lol
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
I <3 My R1

Quote:
yup, great sliders.. there was no way i was gonna cut my fairings; and those brackets really give confidence they'll stand up in a fall nicely
Agreed 100%!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post
I have the R&G on mine. The fit was perfect, and I have zero issues with them.
they look awesome. i guess ill be ordering mine soon with the engine covers
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 06:38 PM
kickin' at the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post
Except that's not even what he's talking about. Lol
lol yeh i realize it was about the sliders, but hey i still hate their case covers so there. Its the interwebz and my opinion matters

i had been browsing for pics and kept seen 'em come up, it was a knee-jerk reaction..

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

Last edited by bacchus40; 02-18-2017 at 06:47 PM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 10:13 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamp View Post
I was in the same boat as you, wanted bar end sliders but didn't want the buzz at speed. I wasn't able to find much... pretty much either one or the other. Then I found these, and they're freaking great. Weighted bar end sliders!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 10:49 AM
If you ain't first your last

I was running the shogun no cuts for awhile but then a guy at the track that analyzes accidents came over to me and put a bug in my brain. He asked me why I used those instead of case sliders and made some good points. His main point that he made is that most of the time frame sliders in certain scenarios cause the bike to dig in and begin to flip and cause more damage or even the frame being bent in even minor crashes which if claimed will result in a salvage title. He gave me a percentage in comparison of total losses at the track of bikes with sliders vs case covers and the sliders were way higher in totaled bikes . Instead of just replacing bars, plastics, basically bolt on cheaper parts. My sliders have saved my bike in two small incidents where case covers would not have. I dono it's just something to think about, I've switched my sliders out because I plan on more track days this year and it's surrounded by grass that will grab and flip it if I crash.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 11:47 AM
kickin' at the darkness

^^

track day junkies and their chasing chances % of total failure.. why would you do that to yourself

whatever makes you happy, if a bike is gonna flip when it hits grass i dont think its gonna be from the puny little slider puck.. but i'm no racer so have at it.

It really depends on how fast a rider you are, most track day falls are not of extreme speeds 'cause we're mere mortals. The really fast guys
have more of a chance of that actually happening but the circumstances really have to be perfect. For your average track day star this is
very rare indeed. The topic has come up in several forums over the years and most bikes slide for a little bit and sliders never dig in enough
to cause a flip.. They just stop dead on their tracks as they hit the grass, or short there after.. You can cause 1k in damage from dropping
a bike in the parking lot, without having actually ridden it, depending on bike.

every crash is different and the end result will be different as well, entirely too many variables from bike to bike and puck to puck to really make the % numbers mean much

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

Last edited by bacchus40; 02-19-2017 at 11:52 AM.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 12:08 PM
Crossed Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfloyd7 View Post
I was running the shogun no cuts for awhile but then a guy at the track that analyzes accidents came over to me and put a bug in my brain. He asked me why I used those instead of case sliders and made some good points. His main point that he made is that most of the time frame sliders in certain scenarios cause the bike to dig in and begin to flip and cause more damage or even the frame being bent in even minor crashes which if claimed will result in a salvage title. He gave me a percentage in comparison of total losses at the track of bikes with sliders vs case covers and the sliders were way higher in totaled bikes . Instead of just replacing bars, plastics, basically bolt on cheaper parts. My sliders have saved my bike in two small incidents where case covers would not have. I dono it's just something to think about, I've switched my sliders out because I plan on more track days this year and it's surrounded by grass that will grab and flip it if I crash.
Sounds like he knows his sh*t.

Or at least pretends that he does....
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 02:34 PM
If you ain't first your last

Quote:
^^

track day junkies and their chasing chances % of total failure.. why would you do that to yourself

whatever makes you happy, if a bike is gonna flip when it hits grass i dont think its gonna be from the puny little slider puck.. but i'm no racer so have at it.

It really depends on how fast a rider you are, most track day falls are not of extreme speeds 'cause we're mere mortals. The really fast guys
have more of a chance of that actually happening but the circumstances really have to be perfect. For your average track day star this is
very rare indeed. The topic has come up in several forums over the years and most bikes slide for a little bit and sliders never dig in enough
to cause a flip.. They just stop dead on their tracks as they hit the grass, or short there after.. You can cause 1k in damage from dropping
a bike in the parking lot, without having actually ridden it, depending on bike.

every crash is different and the end result will be different as well, entirely too many variables from bike to bike and puck to puck to really make the % numbers mean much
The speed has nothing to do with it, if you have the tube shape sliders sticking out past everything else, (which is the point) and you slide into some grass it will dig in and when it hits a hard spot or a rock it will flip even at 20mph lol I'm not the expert here but the guy that pointed it out to me was lol I said that I had shogun sliders on my bike too just like everybody else. The last time my bike hit the ground I wasn't even moving and the bolt that goes into the frame that holds the slider to the bike bent and could have easily bent my frame or stripped the threads. He was only referring to the larger sliders that stick out very far, not the tiny ones on your axles or bars. Juat thought I would share what I was told by an expert that analyzes all the accidents that happen at all their track days which is a lot, my last day there were 5+ in one day and two were pretty bad so I would say he might know a thing or two about it but if you wanna call me the track junkie have at it lol I'll take it as a compliment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode