Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Bike dies when 1st gear engaged...

28K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Sharksawyer 
#1 ·
First, thanks to all that answer newbie questions, this is my first post, and I've spent hours here reading the different posts.
I have a '99 R1 that dies when 1st (or 2nd) is engaged.
Last week I replaced the clutch cable and adjusted according to Haynes and info here. Also, the dreaded second gear issue was addressed last year - new gear and synchros etc., but not a new clutch (tech said it looked fine). I see that the arrow and dot are aligned on the clutch release mechanism(?) And I hear the familiar sounds when I pull back the clutch lever, wait momentarly to select first (with the rear up on a stand),rear tire will turn and doesn't slow down, and when the rear brake is applied the bike will die...have I not properly adjusted the clutch cable?
Warm-up and idle are good, no problem with selecting neutral (when the bike is shut off).
What am I missing...thanks for any help with this.

#3 ·
Voodoo34, yes the bike lurches and stalls, after the second time, I put the rear up
on a stand so I could check further. Just for fun I tried selecting a
gear with and without the kickstand down. It seems to be doing what it should
be when the stand is down - shutting the bike off.

#6 ·
Put the bike in gear, pull in the clutch lever and try to push it. Does it move or is it stuck? If it moves, check your side stand switch. If it doesn't move, rock the bike back and forth and see if you can break the clutch plates free.

Mark
99 R1

ps You should have about 1/2"(1 cm) of free play at the end of the clutch lever.

#8 ·
also check the clutch switch...had a 00 R6 do the same thing. would start up, but once thrown in gear with or without the kickstand down, it would stall. sometimes it would run, and then just suddenly stall seconds later. disconnected the clutch switch, and it fixed the issue...

#9 ·
If the clutch is stuck and won't disengage, maybe because it's been layed up a while, it might be that the plates are stuck together. Really you should strip the clutch and clean up or change the plates. Or you could try this method, Front wheel up against a wall, hold the clutch lever in, revs up slightly and engage 1st gear. There might be a bit of a bang as the plates separate!!!! Please note, the first method is the recommended one. This all assumes that there is nothing wrong with the electrics. (Cut out switch).

#11 ·
check the switch first, and then do what malr1 said if nothing else works....take the clutch out and inspect. I did the same on the r6 (taking the clutch out and inspecting it, and checked all adjustments). and ended up being the switch causing the headache. Usually something electrical gets looked over

#12 ·
Thanks eveyone for the info...I started with rocking the bike back and forth - nothing,
it's still locked up. Then I checked the clutch switch, seems to be fine, but I'm going to
connect them together just to be sure and try again...I have a feeling I'II be taking
the clutch apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.