Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bike dies when i put it in gear plz help?

27K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  jaykreide 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I appreciate any ideas you all have because I am at a total loss here.

My bike is a 2000 R1

The bike will only start in neutral, with the clutch in now.

When I put the bike in gear it just dies immediately. You can hit the start button and the engine rolls over and over but will not fire.

Today I tried a jumper wire to bypass the kickstand switch. It didn't help. Then I tried cutting one of the wires to the kickstand switch. That did not help either.

Everything I have read points me towards the kickstand switch. But after the testing it doesnt seem that is the problem.

The bike shows in Neutral with the Neutral light on when its in neutral. The light goes off when I shift into gear (which is when it dies). I read something about a neutral switch which is why I threw in that information.

Surely you guys have some thoughts?

thanks!
Brian

See less See more
#3 ·
You check out the kickstand switch yet? Does the bike continue running if the kickstand is up?

Sorry, I see you looked at that already. That is the most common problem and you may need to just get a new switch.

Reactions: S1lentHarbinger
#5 ·
have you checked your clutch? i know when i lowsided my r6 i had that prob but it was cause the clutch adjustment was all the way in so once i pulled it out more it was fine...

when you put it in gear does it jerk forward? if so that may be the reason? hope it helps

wiL

#7 ·
I just went down and lifted the tank so I could unclip the kickstand switch. Used a jumper to make sure the wires to the switch were not the issue. Still does the exact same thing with the jumper on and off right at the connector under the tank.

The answer to the clutch question:
I had a clutch put in this winter by a local bike shop and I have put about 200 miles on it since it was installed. So it might be the clutch switch but I am unsure where that is or how to check it?

another part of info about when it started this (day before yesterday). I got on the bike and fired it up like normal. Backed it out of the garage and dropped it in gear. Thats when it died and I noticed my kickstand was down. I put the kickstand up and its been doing this since. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but I dont think I have ever put it in gear with the stand down. I truely doubt you would have to reset something everytime you made that silly mistake but at this point I am at a loss.

anyone?

#8 ·
does the engine turns when u push the start button while in gear (and holding the clutch lever)?
if it turns over , no switch is holding u back.
put it in neutral ,fire it up, rev to 6k rpm and hold it there steady, grab the clutch and shift intu first gear.
it might be just sticky clutch plates if the bike wasnt used for long.

#9 ·
The engine does not turn when you are holding the clutch and its in gear.

The clutch was replaced this winter but I have been riding it since then.

It literally "dies" like the ignition turns off when you drop it in gear. You can hit the start button and it will roll over and over but will not ignite like its trying to start at all until you hold the clutch lever in. Once you hold in the lever it starts perfect... then you let the lever go and it dies immediately..

also, when you drop it in gear its smooth and has no grabbing like a stuck clutch pack.

#10 ·
i dont get what you are saying.
first u say the engine wont turn over at all while in gear.
then u say it turns over but wont start ,and only starts while holding the clutch lever.
so whats the deal?

#11 ·
i dont get what you are saying.
first u say the engine wont turn over at all while in gear.
then u say it turns over but wont start ,and only starts while holding the clutch lever.
so whats the deal?

thats exactly right. If you were not holding down the clutch and it is in gear it will not even turn over.

if you are holding the clutch and its in neutral it will start.

I just bypassed the clutch switch by tying the 2 leads together at the clutch switch. the bike starts just fine as long as its in neutral but when i drop it in gear the bike still dies.

#14 ·
first , i gotta make sure one thing :
when u shorted the kickstand plug , are u shure that u shorted the plug comming from the wiring harness , and not the kickstand switch itself? lol
make sure that u did it right.

if yes , get youself a pocket tester and i will guide u how to trace whats wrong.

#16 ·
haha was a valid question about making sure i shorted the correct thing. Yeah, i actually lifted the tank, removed the plug from the rubber boot and shorted it there (without the pigtail attached that goes to the kickstand).

I do have a pocket multimeter somewhere in the garage. I am all ears about what to check next.

thanks so much!

#17 ·
ok , first locate the cut off relay unit , it should be somewhere near the ecu / battery .
i dont know exactly how it looks , my model is different , but here is a pic of the plug going to it , u should be able to identify it.

ok now
reconnect all the switches as usial.
turn the main switch to off .
disconnect the cut off relay plug and the ecu plug .
locate the blue/yellow wire on the cut off relay unit connector.
locate the blue/black wire on the ecu connector .
check continuity between those 2 wires , then turn the main switch to on position (leave the ecu and relay disconnected) and check again .
tell me what u read.

Attachments

#18 ·
Ok, I am trying to find somewhere to buy a repair manual to identify the 2 parts you are asking me to check with the voltmeter.

One question I do have is I checked the voltage at the sidestand switch. I thought I read somewhere that the voltage at the sidestand switch should be 12 volts. Is this right? Because across that circuit i have 1.6 volts and it starts at like 1.3 and grows over 5 to 8 seconds to 1.6. Is this normal? Everything I see points towards sidestand. But I know its bypassed and bypassed properly.

I also read about this could somehow be an ignition switch problem. Any thoughts on that?

I been chasing this rabbit almost a week and its getting kinda silly. The bike runs great with the clutch in and it in neutral.... jeez... this is wearin me out...

#19 ·
Ok, I am trying to find somewhere to buy a repair manual to identify the 2 parts you are asking me to check with the voltmeter.

One question I do have is I checked the voltage at the sidestand switch. I thought I read somewhere that the voltage at the sidestand switch should be 12 volts. Is this right? Because across that circuit i have 1.6 volts and it starts at like 1.3 and grows over 5 to 8 seconds to 1.6. Is this normal? Everything I see points towards sidestand. But I know its bypassed and bypassed properly.

I also read about this could somehow be an ignition switch problem. Any thoughts on that?

I been chasing this rabbit almost a week and its getting kinda silly. The bike runs great with the clutch in and it in neutral.... jeez... this is wearin me out...
yeah , it could be the ignition switch . actually the wires i told u to check ,is for checking the switch.

#23 ·
Well, 1 problem seems as if you can follow a flow chart and find the answers. But it was the 2 problems that got me. Today I was taking the advice and finding the individual wires to check from the post above and I noticed I had a wire that was backing out of a plug just a tiny bit (like 1/16th of an inch). So I put the wire back in nice and tight and nothing.... Convinced that was my problem I bypassed the kickstand (sidestand) switch again and WOOOHOOOO!!! it was 2 problems... not just 1~~~!!!!!

I think its kinda ironic that both of them triggered at the exact same time but who cares now that its fixed. I figure I will buy a kickstand switch and not leave it bypassed in the next couple weeks. But as for now I got some bugs to bust!!!

thank you guys so much for trying to help me. sometimes its so hard to explain a problem and I would imagine it is much harder to understand the problem. you guys rock once again!!!

brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.