Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Bike just dies when i put it in gear, plz help

43K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  hooligan998 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I appreciate any ideas you all have because I am at a total loss here.

My bike is a 2000 R1

The bike will only start in neutral, with the clutch in now.

When I put the bike in gear it just dies immediately. You can hit the start button and the engine rolls over and over but will not fire.

Today I tried a jumper wire to bypass the kickstand switch. It didn't help. Then I tried cutting one of the wires to the kickstand switch. That did not help either.

Everything I have read points me towards the kickstand switch. But after the testing it doesnt seem that is the problem.

The bike shows in Neutral with the Neutral light on when its in neutral. The light goes off when I shift into gear (which is when it dies). I read something about a neutral switch which is why I threw in that information.

Surely you guys have some thoughts?

thanks!
Brian

See less See more
#3 ·
I just went down and lifted the tank so I could unclip the kickstand switch. Used a jumper to make sure the wires to the switch were not the issue. Still does the exact same thing with the jumper on and off right at the connector under the tank.

The answer to the clutch question:
I had a clutch put in this winter by a local bike shop and I have put about 200 miles on it since it was installed. So it might be the clutch switch but I am unsure where that is or how to check it?

another part of info about when it started this (day before yesterday). I got on the bike and fired it up like normal. Backed it out of the garage and dropped it in gear. Thats when it died and I noticed my kickstand was down. I put the kickstand up and its been doing this since. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but I dont think I have ever put it in gear with the stand down. I truely doubt you would have to reset something everytime you made that silly mistake but at this point I am at a loss.

anyone?

#4 ·
The clutch switch is located on the bottom of the clutch lever bracket. Try disconnecting the two connectors and see if that makes any difference.

If it does it's either the microswitch itself or it's the stop switches box under the seat.

I had the same think happen to me intermittently and replacing the stop switches box cured it, but disconnecting the switch will work in the meantime allthough you won't be able to start the bike in gear with the clutch in.

#6 ·
Definately sounds like it thinks the sidestand is down when it isn't.

If you've tried shorting the sidestand switch wires already and that didn't work i can only guess that it's the sidestand stop relay in the relay box being stuck or not operating.

Next step would be to replace the stop relay box and see if that cures it.

#7 ·
@B.young2000...... I am having the same problem after someone tried to steal my bike and cut the ignition switch wires... Bike will not run once put into gear...I replaced ignition switch and I checked all my switches..ie : clutch switch, kickstand switch, & neutral safety switch.. I replaced the neutral safety switch and kickstand switch.. still won't crank properly... I ended up grounding the neutral safety switch..this defeats the complete safety system and bike will crank in gear and without the clutch being engaged... Some one earlier spoke of a stop switch relay under the seat..can u provide a pic or part number... dont know which one it is..

#18 · (Edited)
That doesn't work, as the OP found out. The ECU registers this set of contacts and simply jumpering the switch does nothing. It works of a low voltage signal and is either high (usually around 5vdc) or low (usually around 1vdc).

OP, I am almost 100% sure you have a bad kickstand switch. All the symptoms you have act just as if the kickstand were permanently down. There is a test you can do if you have the shop manual and a multimeter, otherwise just replace it with a new unit.

Well fvck me running. I just noticed that this was a resurrected thread. Well there you have it anyway.

#12 ·
which one is the kickstand relay? i'm having this same problem. it died on my while riding. i pulled the clutch, while rolling to a stop, trying to restart it, but nothing. i pulled over, put it back to neutral, bike started right up. put it in gear and bike immediately dies. i also tried to by pass the kickstand switch, no luck. tried the clutch switch, no luck.

so now, i think i should replace the kickstand relay...otherwise, i don't know what to do next. bring it to the dealer??? i hope not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.