Shocking spark plug boot running on 3 cylinders - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

00-01 R1 Mechanical Help Mechanical and Critical Issues for the 00-01 R1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Shocking spark plug boot running on 3 cylinders

Hello everyone, am new here so plz bear with me as am getting use to all this Form stuff. I have a 1998 yamaha r1 that i bought that has a 2000 yamaha r1 engine and wiring Harnous. Ever since i bought the bike it sounds like its running on 3 cylinders and i could not come up with the issue i have replaced spark plugs had coils tested and tried to find a short somewhere but nothing. I even ran seafoam thinking that could help solve the issue. When i pull out the spark plug boot and try to adjust it without actually putting it back into sparkplug it starts to work again on all 4 but when i put it all the way in so its secure it goes back to 3 and sounds like a 250 and big lack in power. I tried switching the spark plug boots to different pistons but does the same. But i started to notice that one or 2 of the boots shocks me everytime i touch it and acidently touch ground and i know that the other ones dont do it. I was told that i might not be grounding there correctly cause of a boot being bad but idk i want a second opinion. If can respond to me asap plz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 09:39 AM
NeeD 4 SpeeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by will415 View Post
Hello everyone, am new here so plz bear with me as am getting use to all this Form stuff. I have a 1998 yamaha r1 that i bought that has a 2000 yamaha r1 engine and wiring Harnous. Ever since i bought the bike it sounds like its running on 3 cylinders and i could not come up with the issue i have replaced spark plugs had coils tested and tried to find a short somewhere but nothing. I even ran seafoam thinking that could help solve the issue. When i pull out the spark plug boot and try to adjust it without actually putting it back into sparkplug it starts to work again on all 4 but when i put it all the way in so its secure it goes back to 3 and sounds like a 250 and big lack in power. I tried switching the spark plug boots to different pistons but does the same. But i started to notice that one or 2 of the boots shocks me everytime i touch it and acidently touch ground and i know that the other ones dont do it. I was told that i might not be grounding there correctly cause of a boot being bad but idk i want a second opinion. If can respond to me asap plz.
your spark plug boot / wire is leaking .
spark plug wire should be insulated , any small cracks in the insulation can cause this .
find the cracks , and seal it with duct tape / heat shrink or whatever...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

I found 2 boots have tares in them on the top side of where the wire from the coil goes in. I will try putting the eletrical tape on it, but do you know if i need to wrap alot around it or a little. Its weird cause sometime when am riding it starts to run on all 4 again then cuts out back to 3 but dont really do it much just does it like ones a week lol.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 09:57 AM
NeeD 4 SpeeD

best solution is to replace all the spark plug leads /boots .you can find them cheap on ebay .
i think electrical tape wont help in this case , as it will continue to crack in other places .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Coolbeans thanks bud i will try that might head down to the Salvage motorcycle junk year to check out what they got and buy 2 or 3 for cheap try them and see what it does if all goes good then ya am going to look into ebay.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Well i just replaced them cause they had really back cracks on them but that did not fix my problem. Ugh i been at this for a month now still riding the bike that way its my only transportation right now but i cant get this issue fixed and idk what to do anymore. Any ideas?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Is there anybody out there?

Pull each plug, one at a time, and check for spark by grounding to the frame. If you are getting a spark on all of them, tear into the carbs and clean both your pilot and main jets and see what happens. I'd clean them anyway since you probably don't have a history on the bike and most used bikes I've seen have some carb blockage.

Mark
99 R1

ps Make sure you remove the jets to clean them and blow out the pilots with compressed air as they are tiny and not so easy to clean.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Honestly idk how to pull the carbs out of the bike if you can send a picture just pointing at what bolts got to come off i can go from there plz. I cant afford to get a manual right now ether so i cant go with that option. But ya i have tried putting them to ground to the fram and they do spark. But i just cant understand why is it that when i pull spark plug #1 out a bit sometimes it starts running on all 4 but when i push it back in it stops and goes back to running on 3. I was on my way to work the other day and it all of a sudden started running on all 4 but then kept backfiring and went back to running on 3 ugh i hate the dam bike honestly makes me want to get rid of it.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

I mean i know what the Carbs are but just dont know exactly which bolts got to come of in order to get it off.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Is there anybody out there?

With the bike backfiring, you probably don't have a carb problem and it's isolated to your plug lead or boot or the plug itself. One coil fires two plugs so if it's happening on just one cylinder, it can only be the plug, lead or boot.

Mark
99 R1
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

I was driving on my way home today from work and bike seem like it was trying to run better it keep jerking and back firing. Everytime it started running on all 4 smoke came out my pipe but idk what color it was cause its dark, but when it started running on 3 again no smoke only when on 4 cylinders it smoked. It seemed like it was trying to fix itself but idk did not. I wonder if its cause the new plugs I put in cause with the old ones it did not do this much.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

I found a link on here earlier on how to take my carbs off so I had thought about doing it to check the jets. But if its not the carbs then no point.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 05:19 AM
R1 4 MAL

It could still be a faulty coil pack. But to be honest, If you can't work out how to lift the carbs, you might be better getting someone more mechanically minded to look at the problem. You can cause a lot of expensive damage if you're not careful. Not a Criticism, just an observation.

[/SIGPIC]1998 R1. Ohlins Steering Damper, Ohlins Road and track forks, Ohlins rear shock, white face rev counter, K&N air filter, 5 degree ignition advancer, black powder coated frame, carbon hugger, pearlescent white wheels with blue rim stripe, Harris rearsets, Dynomite undertray, LED rear lights, AP racing rear caliper, braided hoses, Scott oiler, shortened Akropovic road can, Braking Wave discs front and rear.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

I took the carbs off today and cleanned up my jets while blowing on them one of them had something come out of it so idk if was plugged or something. But honestly was not that big so idk if when i put the battery back on if it will run good or the same. If it dont work out then ya might just be electrical. I wont know for another 2 hours if it worked out cause i had to take my battery to charge at autozone. I will keep you informed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode