Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Best clutch?

15K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Adisr1 
#1 ·
I imagine this is the place to post, but I'm not sure. My '02 R1 is approaching 30,000 miles very fast and I've noticed the clutch is starting to slip when I'm really wringing it out. What clutch did you replace your stock one with and how do you like it? I really want to take my bike down the strip a few times to get an idea but the stock clutch is definitely going to hurt me. Any input is appreciated, thank you!

#8 ·
Yes. If you wanted a stiffer clutch pull, you COULD swap out 3 aftermarket springs for stock ones as they are usually stiffer. But stock clutch EVERYTHING is the best.

#11 ·
Its going to be a waste of money if you do. STOCK IS THE BEST:FACT

If it is going to make you feel better, spend the extra dough and get the aftermarket clutch.

Or..... Save the extra money and buy the clutch mod from McCoy motorsports. Then in between runs, take off the oil cap, and zip tie the clutch down and let it cool off for about 15-20 minutes then proceed to drag it. Have fun:thumbup

#17 ·
best clutch mod for dragging is a billet basket... the cheap stock pot metal one is gonna explode if it gets to hot(trust me i know).... stock steels, and fibers are the best ask any R1 dealer... but with going to the strip plan on replacing them(no getting around it)...

a couple ways to get around buring them up super fast
1: like 2009ravenR1 said "in between runs, take off the oil cap, and zip tie the clutch down and let it cool off for about 15-20 minutes"
2: before u line up and/or before you hit the water box, lean the bike over on the right side and pull in the clutch a few times slowly... with the clutch basket sitting so high up it hard for the motor to get oil to it (unless you can get that oil saver line from McCoys to work for you)... so by leaning it you get oil to it...

but still,... plan on burning them up... lol

Reactions: Adisr1
#18 · (Edited)
hey bro, and what brand billet basket? and how do you think this helps?
im currently out of action as my clutch pack is totally worn out,had to get towed home last night wont grab at all, have it in first gear and let go of clutch lever and wont move and doesnt stall just sits there in first and doesnt move, i think last owner either rode with clutch semi engaged by like having his finger on the lever and not noticing he was pulling it or he has ****ed around the the adjustment of the lever and not done properly... or possibly too much clutch popping for monos or sumthing even though i doubt it coz i dont think he cud ride very well, chicken fillets on tyres, completely stock, and yeh...
ohh and bike is a 13 r1 with only 6800kms....

so have to do complete clutch pack replacement , and going to do the 08'graves upgrade to get rid or the roughness of the clutch and possibly the yec springs for better lifespan of clutch and better grab of gears...

any info would be appreciated, thanks :)

#19 ·
On my 2002 5PW I've replaced stock diaphragm with Barnett spring conversion plate,fitted new stock friction and stock steels.
Such an improvement on the clutch!
Done approx 15k miles so far on this set up and still works like the day I swooped it.
Must mention that front wheel is up quite often too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.