Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Infamous start but will not stay running

10K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  nikosk0 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been screwing around with this 2003 R1 INJ. bike for around a year and love riding it, but about 6 months ago I dropped it and soon after had back surgery. Prior to going under the knife I tried getting her ready to put back together but I wanted to hear her run before I put all the pretty pieces back on. So this is where the issue's started, I can get her to crank up but she only will idle at 1000 rpm's for maybe 10 seconds and then dies. I thought that it was a fueling problem, but the fuel pump acts correctly and will spit fuel all over the floor. I have dug all the way down to the plugs just to make sure they were firing and they looked fine to me (good spark) so I buttoned her back up making sure everything was where it was supposed to be. I then pulled the cover for the pickup to make sure all was good, and it seemed fine. I have read so many threads on here about this problem and I find it hard to believe that no one has an answer for this. Are these bikes prone to pressure reg problems?, that seems like it is such a simple piece that I would be wasting time and money screwing with it. I
I did read someone saying that if the bike ran by shooting starting fluid down the injectors then there is probably a clog. OK best thing I read so far that makes any sense, so where might I start looking for that? and it doesn't make sense to me that an injector would screw up due to the bike going down? please help if you have any input, I love riding and I just don't feel I need to take it to the stealership with all the knowledge that can be found online, especially here.
By the way I have done the diag. and everything looks good, and it is not throwing any codes....UUUGGHH!

Thanks in advance
Nuke

See less See more
#3 ·
Does it respond to any throttle input?

Also Gonna throw this out here as these performance engines are very unhappy at a 1k rpm idle try turning it up some to start with..
Second on this model the slide "choke" fast idle system are rather finicky and the coolant "solenoid" that operates them is known to get stuck.. It should start and run about 2k rpm on the fast idle side then as it warms up drop down to about 1250rpm
You have to get the fast idle circuit and normal idle set then sync the throttle bodies

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#4 ·
let your girl cool off for 10-12 hours.
check the battery, if voltage is below 12.4Volts maybe you found your problem
then let her idle at 1500-2000rpm , check battery voltage again, if charging propertly you should see above 13.5Volts

let us know what your problem is when you find it.

ps. or you can go to a yamaha dealer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.