Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2002 R1 5PW Issues

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Jensen 
#1 ·
Hi There
Just finished a 80% restoration on my 02 R1, When I bought it, it was in prity poor condition with being lightly crashed & half street fighter'd & project aborted.
I stripped it back and put it back to production standard with a few tasty mods

There is still a few issues with the bike as follows:

Issue 1:
Radiator cooling fan wont operate at all or when it should @108 deg - Ran power to the fan itself and it works fine, Is this fan operated by a separate fan switch or the ECU ? I removed the sensor wiring loom plug from the sensor at the thermostat housing and bridged it with wire but the fan didn't come on. I have also tried to locate the fuse for this but can locate the fuse box which is apparently ment to be under the seat, Could it be the fan relay ?

Issue 2:
Rear shock absorber is non existent - Will a rear shock from a different year listed below of R1 fit my 5PW model 2002-2003?

R1 Models:
98-99 4XV
00-01 SJJ
04-06 5VY
07-08 4C8
09-14 14B 14BE

Issue 3:
Engine idles too high - Have adjusted the screw already on the left hand side of bike at the frame/fuel tank and the lowest the engine will idle at is now 1300 RPM should be roughly 800 - All vacuum hoses/wiring in tact
Any ideas ?

My bike has 28,000 miles on it & was wondering at what miles or age does a shock usually go at ?

New shock is £900 GBP's - Refurbished shock is £450 - Ebay second hand £80-£300

Worried about buying one of ebay with high mileage on it and its on its way out or worse than mine

Any help on these 2 issues would be appreciated

Thanks Guys

Regards Glenn J

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok the fan is controlled by the ecu and actually turns on at 220 dregrees farenhieght and turns off at 208.

Rear shock yes you can use 98-99 and 00-01 there not a perfect match but will bolt in. Or send your original to be rebuilt.
No reason a stock shock won't last 50k+ miles

The engine should idle once hot at 1200rpms otherwise they stumble and tend to die. (I've actually set mine closer to 1300 because it's smoother on take off) The idle adjustment is a knob/Phillips screw below the frame on the shift shaft cover. The screw directly under the tank and above the frame is your cold start idle adjustment has to be set in tandem with idle, there is no info in the manual on this but the easy way is set the idle at 1700-1800rpm when hot then adjust the cold control to bring it down to 1200rpm. Then when you start it cold should idle properly around 1700-1800..

#3 ·
#4 ·
Thanks Guys - I haven't been near the bike since as its winter and its sorn'd & tucked away but will look into the issues with the info provided - Many thanks for the replies

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.