Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

error code 11 for 2006 r1

18K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  Side_swipe 
#1 ·
i was riding my bike today and it just shut down on me. tried starting it and error 11 comes up and the yellow check engine sign comes up. anyone know what this could mean???? its a 2006 yamaha r1

#7 ·
thanx alot red and moto... i just found out what had gone wrong.. when i stopped my bike on the side the right fan had just switched on.. made a funny sound n then went off n the left came on... so i spun the right fan at home and turns out the fan had cut open a wire on the head.
how come we dont have an error or fault sticky thread??

#12 ·
Just had this happen Thursday night at bike night of all places. Nothing like having to push your R1 into the parking lot to join the festivities... :(

and yes I know this is a two year old thread, but without this thread I would have likely never figured out the problem.... Thanks!!!!

#13 ·
I've got the error code 11 also. It starts fine but afte a mile or so it starts to stall and stops running when running idle.

Have to check the wire's yet. I do not suspect a cut wire otherwise it wouldn't work at all. The local official yamaha dealer haven't sold this sensor yet since he started his bussines (8 years ago). Guess its not a common weak point??

How realiable are the sensorcodes?

Any ideas?

#17 ·
Did you ever figure it out?

Could be the wire harness itself. Might want to ohm out each cable and move it around to see if the wire is broken inside (or almost broken). Mine was barely hanging together for a few minutes before it happened. The fans came on, the bike died and I coasted into a parking lot. Waited a minute for the bike to cool off and it fire right back up, and then died again about a block later. There is very little voltage going through those wires, so a few strands is enough to do the job, but if the wire is broken and intermittently touching it could cause that issue.

#18 ·
I'm not sure i've solved it yet...... ;-)

I measured the wiring from ECU to the CPS and presure sensor (both gave error code's). I've done this with a cheap (DIY store) multimeter. Had my wive help met out so she watched the meter while i was moving/pulling the wiring harnass (with the meter attached from connector to connector). No strange things measured.
p.s. The wiring of the CPS was/is ok. No damage due touching of the fan.

I gave up and decided to put the bike together to a driveable state and try to bring it to the nearby dealer;-) instead of sending the ECU for dynamic testing (that was my other option to rule out or to confirm the ECU)
Took a testdrive around the block and no problem, another and another....no problem.
Last weekend i drove a 100 miles or so and the problem did not return.

Your explanation of the problem is very, very, very plausible.
The problem i've had started after 1km riding ( 0,7 miles). Then completely stops only when running stationary (could prevent stopping by giving some trottle when standing stil for traffic lights ) . While ridding, it stalled for 2 seconds. A reset with the ingition key or a cool down for a couple of minutes helped for 2 or 3 miles. Same with your R1, is this heat related.
Was the bad cable in the main harness or was it the cable on the CPS side?

So I'm not sure yet...Or it is still a bad cable, perhaps due to my working with the harness some wiring is proper connected.....for now.
Or it was a bad connection (corrosion) of the connector. Due to my dis- and reconnecting them making it better.

my plan is now wait if te problem returns and this winter take is apart again and clean al connectors with contactspray.

#19 ·
Hope you figure it out. Its very frustrating when a problem just goes away without you actually fixing it because there is a good chance it will come back at the most annoying time. It sounds like you have a different issue since the little harness and sensor appear to be in good shape on your R1.

I just stripped the cut wire and soldered it back together and haven't had the problem since. I also zip tied the harness well away from the fan. I think part of the problem is the odd fan type we have. I have never seen a fan with a spinning shroud before. Usually you just have to worry about the fan blades, not the shroud.

#20 ·
I still hope is was/is some corrosion on the connector.. If the problem returns in know where to search.:serious:

The fans are indeed strange.....My first impression was to think yamaha use parts of kitchen aid machines.:laugh:

Feels like the R1 is a compressed bike while working on it. There is no space left between parts.
My former yamaha (TRX850 aka duplicati) was more spacious around the engine :grin2:

#22 ·
Sounds like your main switch(key) might be going bad. The main switch has two circuits on it. One for main power and one runs through your ECU and starting circuit cut off relay. I'm guessing the contact in your main switch occasionally breaks you lose Voltage to your ECU. Might not be your problem but it doesn't hurt to check. Unplug your main switch and measure the resistance between your blue/black and blue/yellow wires and then your red and brown/blue wires with the key on. Turn the key off and then back on and measure again. Do this check several times. If the switch is good, you should have less than one Ohm for each reading. I'd also check the plug on your ECU.

Mark

#23 ·
Thanks for the answer! This might be the problem.... The wiring colors are different. (European models have a coded key with immobilizer) but i found the two power supply wires. (the green taped wire bundles are from the switch)

The red wire is from the battery, the brown/bleu and brown/red are both "switched +"

The resistance changes between 3ohm to 17ohm at each reading (after a turn to off and on)

Replace the main switch is no option because its a combination with the ECU due to the immobilizer system. I cannot take it apart as far i can see. There is a small drainhole at the bottom, maybe spraying it with contact spray several times woul clean the contacts?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.