Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

ReInstalling OEM Cam Chain Tensioner

6K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  hooligan998 
#1 ·
When I install the stock cam chain tensioner with the rod pushed in (and held in clip) the chain has a little slack.

When I first took the cam chain tensioner off the there was no slack at all on the cam chain.

I think when I install the cct without the pin held in the clip the there is no slack although the manual says to install with the clip locked - anyone with experience on this can you please chime in? Thanks.

#3 ·
you install with the clip locked, but then turn the engine over by hand, which causes the clip to disengage and tension the cam chain. You should have no loose spots once the CCT is engaged. Where is the loose spot located? Top side, towards front of engine or towards rear of engine?

#4 ·
I turned the motor over by hand clockwise and then not even 180 degrees from tdc there was a very loose spot.

Can't figure out how to get full tension on the cam chain - do I have to pull the guides out or maybe there is something I am missing.

Thanks for the quick response.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.