Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2005 R1 oil filler cap

4K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  MotoMillion 
#1 ·
After searching each individual thread, and getting "no match found", I figured I'd make my own post. I know this has to have been asked before, but being relatively new I can't get even a search to pull anything for the word "oil".

I bought my first bike and went to do my first oil change this weekend, and after getting everything apart and oil drained, I can't get oil cap off, it apparently needs a special tool that was in original tool kit (didn't come with bike). Does someone know a work around? Not wanting to buy the tool as I plan to replace the cap with an easier/better one.

I have tried an open end wrench sideways, but it just pops out. I used a pair of channel locks with a rag, and it scratched the shit out of the cap(don't care about), but I really don't want to scratch motor cover...

Thanks in advance.

Here's a pic :

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
In your toolkit there should be is a little rubber boot that fits on the end of the spanner wrench.

Buy a different oil cap... I believe the 02-03 r1 is the one you want, it has a little "handle" to make taking it off MUCH EASIER.

#8 ·
Looking for a picture of the rubber boot, I remember that it went on the working end of the wrench to the right. I know this doesn't really help you now since you don't have the toolkit but if you can find something similar to the circular shape of that tool that would help greatly.

Attachments

#9 ·
Can anyone tell me which wAy that line will be facing when it's tight vs loose? Should it be vertical when loosened?

I just bought bike and was told it was due for oil change in 500 miles, I'm doing it prematurely for peace of mind.

Dealer wanted 100 for oil change, I bought parts for 60 and figured I need to learn how to do it myself. Fairing was a beach to remove, can only imagine how much fun it will be to reinstall.

Also I am ordering new cap, and am not worried about damaging current one. Just don't want to damage motor cover or ruin threads....

#13 ·
If you don't care about the cap, JB Weld something in there (a wrench end, the quarters, whatever). The JB Weld should hold enough to get the thing off. Then just replace the cap with something you don't have to fight.

#15 ·
Alright so I taped a stack of 1 1/2" fender washers together and after tapping repeatedly on cap with hammer I was able to get it off. Such a pain.

Was able to add oil, although adding 3 quarts didn't even register on window unless bike was leaned far to the right. So I added half quart and now it sits under full line when standing straight up.

Thought re installing fairing was going to be hardest part of oil change, it was a breeze, lined up dzeus fasteners and it went in cake.

Have a million more questions though so I'm sure I'll see you guys again on another topic.

also, if anyone can educate me on how to use the search function, it would be helpful. After hitting search in multiple categories with several test words, I get no results found. I even try topic and posting tabs.

Is there a post requirement like other forums before you can fully unlock certain features here?

Again thanks for all the help everyone. I frickin love this site already!!

Only1oo7

#16 ·
All you have to do is get a rag, throw it on top if the cap, get a pair of channel locks, and go counter clockwise like every thing else that is threaded to get it loose.

Note: if you look closely, you will see a maybe 1/8" space where you can put the channel locks. Also when you put it on, just make it snug as there is a gasket there to hold it in place.

#17 ·
First thing I tried was rag and channel locks, they cut through rag and scratched cap and part of (stator cover/engine cover), whatever it is, so I stopped as I didn't want to damage it further.

Ended up using hammer to gently tap lid which likely broke dry oil on seal and it came open with a few fender washers put down in recess.

It's fine now, Yamaha likely used proper tool and torqued correctly for last oil change. My stack of quarters just weren't strong enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.