06 Yamaha r1 whining noise increases with throttle Help - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

04-06 R1 Mechanical Help Mechanical and Critical Issues for the 04-06 R1

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

06 Yamaha r1 whining noise increases with throttle Help

Just as the title says I have a 2006 r1 that makes a whining noise when I rev the throttle and before anyone says this is normal for yamhas let me say I've had three 04 to 06 yamahas and this isn't normal. The bike has 30k miles on it and I have checked stator and rotor all is in good shape no pieces broken or magnets off, I pulled the clutch which looks absolutely amazing honestly looks brand new, I pulled the timing cover and didn't see or feel anything out of whack. Please help me this is killing me.

YouTube video here
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=10nuw9_T1zo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3755_1497579935612.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	974.0 KB
ID:	939777  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Also forgot to mention I was thinking this was the roto/stator bearings but they are intact and spin freely. Can they still make this noise with them still intact and spinning? Also could this be timing chain guides?
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Please someone give me something to tear down?! lol I took it by the dealership and the techs listened to it and said it's not normal but couldn't really tell me anything other than to check the stator/rotor and the clutch. I want to ride her but I don't want to cause any damage. I definitely don't want to take it to the Yamaha shop to diagnose since they're just going to waste $90 hours doing what I've already done because they don't have a clue

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 10:29 PM
Is there anybody out there?

I'd do the screwdriver test to try and isolate it. Get a long screwdriver, put it to your ear and probe around to see where it's coming from.

Mark
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 10:38 PM
Mad Thou Rider

can you post an audio file of the noise?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" border="0" />
thanks petrol!!
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 11:21 PM
Chillin'

Garage
Sounds normal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:48 AM
THEONE

Bearings spinning and being intact means nothing other than they are there. I would replace inner and outer rotor bearings at that mileage or could use a set anyway.
milheim05 likes this.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

I agree I'm thinking inner and outer bearings. I've used a mechanic stethoscope but it sounds about the same on the timing chain side as it does where the stator is. I'm having trouble finding these bearings online does anyone know the part numbers and how in the hell do you get the inner bearing out?
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone know where I can find the Orr numbers for the inner and outer rotor bearings and a good write up or someone that has done this? That inner looks like it's going to be a pain in the ass
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

I know it's a old bike and I understand but it is there a better venue for discussing these older machines and their problems like another forum
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:06 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevnc View Post
I know it's a old bike and I understand but it is there a better venue for discussing these older machines and their problems like another forum
It's not an old bike. You could try the UK R1 forum - yamahar.co.uk

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:30 PM
THEONE

Quote:
Surely there is some kind of bearing puller for this inner bearing. I've heard many say they have replaced them.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketheone46 View Post
Quote:
Surely there is some kind of bearing puller for this inner bearing. I've heard many say they have replaced them.
Well I'm sure there is too but I can't even find the part numbers anywhere much less the efficient puller with the right head on it lol
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
can you post an audio file of the noise?
Is the YouTube video not sufficient? I will try to make just audio tomorrow I have to put some things back on the bike
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketheone46 View Post
Bearings spinning and being intact means nothing other than they are there. I would replace inner and outer rotor bearings at that mileage or could use a set anyway.
So you're saying if a bearing is intact, spins smoothly with no hesitation or grabbing it can still make this noise? Also could this be a transmission bearing?
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

It may be possible I have found the issue but I'm still in doubt. In the photo below you can see that a few of the magnets are loose. I pulled the stator again to reinspect the stator and bearings. I noticed some of the epoxy around some of the magnets was minimal and realized I can move these magnets backwards but they are still intact. Is there any kind of epoxy you would reccomend to reattach these to the rotor?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3761_1497669590946.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	786.2 KB
ID:	939817  
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Bump
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 07:42 AM
THEONE

There is a thread on this forum that was being discussed within the last month where a guy re epoxies his magnets. I myself am pulling my rotor and getting the updated rotor with the magnets that are not exposed. It is a 400 dollar part but well worth knowing my engine isn't going to eat magnets. Those magnets being loose like you say is another bit of evidence you probably need bearings. Once the used bearings get just a tad of unnoticeable slop in them it leads to a vibration that causes the magnets to come loose and grenade your engine. Either epoxy really good or in my opinion get the updated part and bearings. I have my stock rotor with 815 miles on my bike and would be glad to sell it for 200 bucks. Save someone 200 bucks if they are willing to use a super low mileage rotor.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 07:52 AM
THEONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksawyer View Post
I'd do the screwdriver test to try and isolate it. Get a long screwdriver, put it to your ear and probe around to see where it's coming from.

Mark
Quote:
It may be possible I have found the issue but I'm still in doubt. In the photo below you can see that a few of the magnets are loose. I pulled the stator again to reinspect the stator and bearings. I noticed some of the epoxy around some of the magnets was minimal and realized I can move these magnets backwards but they are still intact. Is there any kind of epoxy you would reccomend to reattach these to the rotor?

A link to the bearings you need. Trust me. Don't do this job without replacing those bearings.
2004 Yamaha YZF-R1 (YZFR1S) Crankcase Cover 1 | Babbitts Yamaha Partshouse
All ya have to do is search 04/06 Yamaha r1 parts to find any part on your bike this link I gave you has every thing down to every screw on the bike.
milheim05 likes this.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 07:55 AM
THEONE

Here is a re epoxy link. Search is your friend. Anytime I get a new model I search for any info of any issues.

HOW TO: 04-06 R1 Stock Rotor Assembly Rebuild
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode