Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

European Hazard Switch On US 07-08 R1

11K views 42 replies 14 participants last post by  DarkHorse 
#1 · (Edited)
So I got jealous of the other manufactures having hazards and pass switches on their bikes and we not having the options. So I got the left switch unit from off Ebay UK. The only problem if there is a wire that is missing on the US harness that allows the Pass Switch to work, although Hazard switch will work without modification.

The image below, the identified wire is missing in the US left hand switch unit

This image shows a blue wire I used as a jumper to enable and bypass the missing wire in our harness. After this mod, all functions work!

:thumbup
I will post up Before and after pics when finished installing.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I lost marks on my driving test because my R6 didn't have hazard lights!! When I got back the lady was like "you barely passed, one more mistake and you woulda been toast!" I'm like WTF mistakes did I make?!?! she said "Speeding here, here and here, no hazard lights on emergency stop"!!! I was floored, lady, wtf, my bike dun got hazard lights! She didn't believe me! lol.

-Jamie M.

#9 ·
Does this wiring method work even when you are on low beam?
From what I can see you have tapped into the yellow to bridge and that is the high beam supply and shouldn't be live on low beam.
Unless I'm missing something you've done, hard to see really clearly in the pics.

#11 ·
european model comes with it from factory, just saying :p

#12 ·
If motogp don't have I don't wanna it :lol

#20 · (Edited)
Sorry it took me so long to get back, anyway....

First of all, you need to get your hands on a UK spec left hand switch. Just go to Ebay UK and you'll see them pop up. Just gotta find a seller willing to ship to US. All you need is a wire cut the length of the switch unit and a color that is preferably not already used inside the switch unit there many more wires that are spliced and wired in parallel. So the only thing you need to solder is this one wire, if you don't care about the flasher switch you can skip that step because the hazard light switch works without modification.

In this photo, the Yellow circle 1 and 2 are already spliced from the factory, This is were I added my jumper. I verified this with a circuit tester. Red circle 2 is normally open but the US Spec harness does not have the connected connection. The Blue wire is soldered to the yellow wire in red circle 1 to get power to complete the high beam circuit.

This photo show the where the left switch harness is under the left upper fairing.

The harness must be routed between the frame and radiator.

This shows the difference between the US and UK switch hanesses

Another angle of the switch unit

Here is the video of everything put together, excuse the mess, I was also installing a Y-pipe.
http://youtu.be/qa683amvTMw

:fork

Attachments

#21 ·
Sorry it took me so long to get back, anyway....

First of all, you need to get your hands on a UK spec left hand switch. Just go to Ebay UK and you'll see them pop up. Just gotta find a seller willing to ship to US. All you need is a wire cut the length of the switch unit and a color that is preferably not already used inside the switch unit there many more wires that are spliced and wired in parallel. So the only thing you need to solder is this one wire, if you don't care about the flasher switch you can skip that step because the hazard light switch works without modification.

In this photo, the Yellow circle 1 and 2 are already spliced from the factory, This is were I added my jumper. I verified this with a circuit tester. Red circle 2 is normally open but the US Spec harness does not have the connected connection. The Blue wire is soldered to the yellow wire in red circle 1 to get power to complete the high beam circuit.

This photo show the where the left switch harness is under the left upper fairing.

The harness must be routed between the frame and radiator.

This shows the difference between the US and UK switch hanesses

Another angle of the switch unit

Here is the video of everything put together, excuse the mess, I was also installing a Y-pipe.
http://youtu.be/qa683amvTMw

:fork
Nice write up :thumbup
However you could avoid all the internal splicing by just joining the yellow/white to the yellow next to it right here at the plug.

well what does it do!? Stop it with all the suspence!! LOL

I use mine as a fan override switch :)

#33 ·
Doug you are wanting to use it for exactly the same as me.
It's been a while but if I remember the hazard wires from the switch need to be disconnected and lengthened. Take one and tap into the green/yellow of the fan relay and the other to ground. Grounding that green/yellow is what will switch the fan on but the relay will also still operate as normal.
As for the garage opener on the flash to pass, I'd need to know how the garage door opener is going to operate on the bike.
My opener has a jumper on the switch to make it permanently on, the pass switch supplies 12v when pushed which then powers the opener (it's like holding the button and taking the battery in and out if that makes sense?)
How are you wiring yours?

#39 ·
Doug, what I did was just made the flash to pass work and then tapped into the high beam wire towards the headlamp for the garage door opener, actually means the flash to pass still works and in practice, switching to high beam would open the garage door too.
Need to know how you are doing your opener though to know if that will work for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.