Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starter Clutch Bearing Install

17K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  milheim05 
#1 ·
2007 R1, 20k miles. After replacing my generator assembly due to broken magnets everything was up and running for about 50 miles before a grinding/squealing occurred.

I pulled the generator back out and the bearing had basically exploded. I'm pretty sure I can get the outer race out and the inner race off the starter clutch shaft, which seems to be stuck on really good. A couple questions:

What's the best way to install this bearing? Does it require a press? (In which case I may need to get creative).

Could I have possibly installed the generator wrong? Maybe a washer or collar was direction-specific and the service manual doesn't mention it (or I missed it completely)?

There's no information I can find in the shop manual regarding this bearing so any help would be appreciated!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hi
I don't think that you installed it wrong because if you did it should have some grinding noise right after you start the bike.
You should also replaced that bearing with a new one when you installed the new rotor assy and the o ring inside the collar.

To install a new bearing you need to be creative. Throw it in the freezer for a day or two and then press it in place

At least that's what I did a few weeks back when I replaced my rotor assy
No problem so far.

Yamaha sucks on this matter. They don't mention anything about this bearing on the service manual but the thing is this bearing actually it's the cause for destroyed rotor magnets because the rotor starts to wobble when the bearing fails

Attachments

#5 ·
Hello

What I'm saying is that a faulty bearing will cause the rotor to wobble arround the stator and eventually get in touch with it.
At that rotation speed the magnets will be destroyed and may cause damage to the gears arround too

I did a preventive maintenance on my bike before that happens. Changed
The bearing, the rotor assy (new model with no exposed magnets) and the oring inside the collar.

To press the bearing in place I used a peace of wood and a hammer and carefully hammered it in place. Use some engine oil too around it

#9 ·
Bearing is in oil, in the freezer. Worked a bit tonight to remove the exhaust so that I can pull the oil pan. Fingers crossed there's no additional debris in there (oil did not appear to have a metal flake this time).

#11 · (Edited)
That exact thread is how I figured out I needed the pilot bearing puller for that outer race! :thumbup

There's another member on here currently replacing the generator who was smarter than me and took pictures along the way. Come to find out, the spacer in between that bearing and the starter clutch gear (with the o-ring inside) is directional, but will go on both ways. I'm 99% sure my bearing failure is because I installed the spacer backwards... :shake

#15 ·
Lol ok.

Mine was making noise around 4000 RMP so I took it apart and replaced the bearing near the cover. After I put it back together it was making the same noise but worse and at idle. I turned it off and now I can't get the generator off. I think the inside bearing is bad and now the generator is stuck to it.

I think I put it back together correctly. The only questionable thing was the direction of the spacer. It kinda like locked on in the one direction so thats how I put it. The tapper end towards the outside of the bike I think. Does that sound right?

#16 ·
It's been a while since I did the job, but that sounds vaguely familiar. Like you, I learned that both bearings should be replaced as a pair. If the generator is good and stuck, I think a flywheel puller will get it off, but I didn't have to resort to that... I think there are a couple posts on the forums about it.

#18 ·
I went back and reread this entire post to remind myself of what happened.

As you can see, my bearing failed gloriously. The inner race and outer race came out separately. The inner race to that innermost bearing WAS stuck on the generator shaft. If memory serves, the taper of the shaft causes this. It's a pain, but not abnormal. I actually wound up grinding that inner race off the generator shaft (with some surgical precision). I think a jaw style puller is what you need: http://m.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/...em-2-ton-2-or-3-jaw-puller/2044_0_0?location=

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.