Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Charging Problem Found: Stator Carnage

19K views 53 replies 11 participants last post by  Hubbard 0 
#1 ·
Finally got around to pulling my stator after half heartedly trying to solve my charging problem. Bike would run and start just fine, but never got over 12v when running, or even at 5,000 RPM. I for some reason never got conclusive results from multimeter testing, so I replaced the R/R awhile back. Tonight I pulled the stator and I think I found my problem.

Some marks on the piston skirt, a piece of the stator was wedged between it and the engine case.

The piece that was stuck in there.

Lost a cushion somewhere in the engine so now I'll have to pull the pan and go fishing for that.

Got part of it cleaned up though.

See less See more
#6 ·
My bike has 45,000 miles, so I'm guessing the combination of old age and the general abuse my bike gets (mostly track days) resulted in the magnets coming loose and wiping themselves out.

A multimeter doesn't lie, would have picked that up.
I had found a lot of conflicting info on testing it. The service manual said to look for resistance of .18 to .24 or something, which no consumer level tester is accurate to. Another source said to look for a different resistance, which I got on 2 of 3 pins at one point.

Really, I was just too lazy for some reason to pull it at the beginning and inspect. I have no real explanation for why I waited so long since I've had much of the rest of the bike apart already.

#3 ·
I can't tell what the inside of the generator assembly looks like... was that all magnet fragments? If so, yours looks worse than mine did lol. Change your oil, checking for metal. It may also be worthwhile to drop your oil pan and check for pieces considering the extent of that failure.

#8 · (Edited)
All new parts ordered. Found a great picture from an FZ1 forum that shows the original and revised flywheel/rotor.

For anyone's future reference, the best deals I could find:

Flywheel/rotor, Yamaha of Cucamonga $310
Part # 2SH-81450-00-00

Stator, Partzilla.com $181
Part # 2D1-81410-01-00

#28 ·
this is what yamaha should have done since the beginning.
that part should have been a recall.
i have replaced 5 of them on two bikes.
i have saved all of them just as a reminder of how fawked up this system is.
that rotor looks like it will last longer.

do you know if there is any interference with the stock stator and updated rotor?

#9 ·
Great pics.
This is the same experience I went through last week, but in reverse order. I first checked my generator and found that same disaster, but still wasn't sure the stator was bad based on the readings I was getting. But obviously the rotor assembly was bad.

GLWR (Good Luck With Repair - If it's not a thing, I'm making it one now!)

Also, should we get this permalinked or have a How-To written from it? He has great photos and a solution.

#12 · (Edited)
It had to get worse before it got better, right? I'd be so much more mad about the stator/rotor failing if I weren't so impressed with the oil filtration system.

Also, the red/orange tube to the right of the oil filter has an o-ring that passes through the oil pan. I don't know what system that tube is part of so I can't figure out the part number for that o-ring. Does anyone know the part number or what system its part of for me to lookup?

• Wow
Reactions: jsp1990
#22 ·
Got the new rotor in but no other parts. Will have to wait till next week for those. Got the inner bearing pulled, of course didn't go as easy as it should.

Here's the puller and attachment I rented from Autozone.

Of course, the bearing puller was just a little too big.

But if you use one arm and hold in there it should come out easily.

Reactions: milheim05
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.