2008 Clutch install Help

4K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  hna2195 
#1 ·
Team,
I have a 2008 R1 that got the 3 star Springs snapped

1. Removed the cover
2. Marked the presure plate against the clutch bascket
3. Removed clutch plate and metal ring and kept them in order for reference
4. New Yamaha clutch kit (came with extra 3 metal plates)
5. New presure plate springs
6. New gasket
5. New Clutch Boss Nut
8. 3 Springs that goes behind the Clutch Boss Nut.

followed instruction to the tee, it went smooth even when I installed the cover.
Here where I need your help and advise, wondering if I missed anything
Result -- The clutch does not engage, looking thru the oil filler cap, the pressure plate is not turning.

1. Does the pressure plate moves freely while reinstall, as I had problem torquing the spring screws
2. The 2 metal ring at the end of the stack one of them felt like it has an angle, does it matter which way it goes in, as I did not pay attention to how I took it out. and is it the last one or 1 before last.
3. All metal plates flat surface are facing outward as that how the original were installed
4. The pressure plate has all 6 washers
5. The push rod teeth are pointing to the left toward the end of the bike
6. The cover pull lever arrow and point are aligned after the cover is installed.

There is one thing i noticed, that if I rotate the pressure plate it does not move in a perfect circle, it look like it shifts a bit, I am guessing due to the spring wholes are wide enough to allow it to shift.

Not sure if I am missing anything other than the 2 metal ring at the end of the stack need to be swapped if I have them backward.

Any help or insight will be greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Got issue 2 in the list figured out I had them swapped and the angle was wrong as well. based on the service manual P249, it has an expanded view of 11 & 12 metal rings.
but not sure if that is the issue, but will try and see if it is.

#4 ·
When i installed the cover i pointed the cable levervto 9 o'clock position, as i push forward the lever moves toward 12 o'clock and it alignes perfectly (arrow and dot).
Will close it today and adjust cable as there is alot of slack.
Why would it be so much slack since i didn't do anything in that area.
Thx.

#6 ·
Team,
" the pressure plate is not turning.........

......There is one thing i noticed, that if I rotate the pressure plate it does not move in a perfect circle, it look like it shifts a bit, I am guessing due to the spring wholes are wide enough to allow it to shift.

OK..... I own a 2006 Limited Edition ( SP) which has the same Sprag Clutch system......

When I changed Clutch last week.... I "wrongfully"installed the Pressure plate, and once installed, I noticed that the metal plate rings and friction plates where kind of loose......

There is a "certain"position that the Pressure plate is installed....... Thus... try uninstalling pressure plate and turn it , play with it, you will see that there is a certain hole pattern that it will align.

The pressure plate should in no way be moving out of round .

#7 ·
Sharksawyer,
If I rotate the level forward while the cover is on the lever spring is unhooked, that will take the push rod all the way in, then hook the lever spring back will return the push rod back out all the way it it hit the center of the clutch boss, that will make it engaged, good Idea, will try that shortly, the only issue is, will I care on what tooth the push rod is hooked up to at that point?
Thank you for your feedback.

#8 ·
rcgalore,
My metal rings and friction plates have no movement, the pressure plate as I rotate it, it has a very slight off circle type of movement, the whole on the pressure plate for 2008 are not perfect circles they are like track round, which I think will allow the plate to move a bit.
I guess I will install 2 opposite screws and turn it, keep doing till I reach a perfect circle I guess.
I am willing to try anything and everything.
Thank you for your feedback.

#9 · (Edited)
Team,
put it all together, it fit perfect, the pressure plate, the metal rings, the push rod.
Now I have another issue I am getting crackling sound when I turn it on, the sound is coming to the best of my knowledge from under the seat down. if the clutch is engaged then the sound is there, otherwise, the bike does not turn on of course.
Not sure why the clutch will cause a sound like that.
wondering if anyone encountered this? Any insight will greatly appreciate it.
Thanks.

#10 ·
Don't believe this was a clutch related as I took it apart again to see if anything was misaligned, but everything looks fine, will put it together tomorrow and try to figure out what happened between yesterday and today that the bike now does not turn.

#11 · (Edited)
Figured out the sound issue, NOT enough Amp'g from the battery, I put on a charger, it cranked a bit, then revert back to do the exact same sound, I have to let it sit to charge fully.
As far as the clutch progress, I still haven't been able to get the push rod just right yet. I know I aligned the 1st tooth, but when I push the cover in, the push rod pushes toward the pull lever shaft and more teeth to go in.
will continue to try.

One confusing comment that I have encountered... Is the Arrow and dot should be aligned when the clutch is fully engaged or not engaged?

Thx guys.

#12 ·
The dot and arrow should be aligned when the clutch is engaged. As you pull the clutch lever in, the push lever will turn and disengage the clutch and the dot and arrow is a don't care. As I was saying in post #5, as you rotate the lever forward, it should stop with the dot and arrow aligned. If it doesn't, you need to pop the cover and readjust. Once aligned, connect the clutch cable and fine tune.

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.