Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2008 r1 surging idle

7K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  ryan r108 
#1 ·
ok hello first off. i just got a r1 and when i first got it everytime i pulled the clutch in it died. since then i learned the diag mode and and learned the throttle body was only going to 57% i got a new tps sensor set it to 15-16 and balanced the throttle bodies. it has a y pipe and dan moto slipons dont believe it has a cat either. it did have a power commander installed and when i had it installed it ran at 57% tps open limit. without pc5 it opens 101.. im at a loss right now why the bike will idle at 1100 then surge to 1700...come back down and repeat...when it drives its fine but come to stop and it tries to idle at 1000-800 and dies. im not sure what else i can do. it had codes 50-60 in the history fyi. the only thing i can think to do next is battery, flash ecu with yec flash on ebay, or spark plugs and coil packs. im really mad cause i traded my xb9 for this and now it has alot of problems. please any help would be magical. if youd like to call me that would be cool also.

#2 ·
Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks on any of the lines going to a TB. Especially if you did a TB sync. Make sure all of the tubes are on all the way. Sometimes the testing tubes for the TB sync pull off the nipples when your separating them from those straight connectors/plugs.

#6 ·
I would try loading a good map from someone else who has the same mods as you. Use that as a starting point. I had similar issues with my Camaro years ago and it was relating to a bad tune. I didn't find out untill after I swapped a bunch of parts out (tips was my first guess as well).

#10 ·
Have you tried adjusting it this way out of the service manual????

ADJUSTING THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR (FOR THROTTLE VALVES) 1. Check: • Throttle position sensor (for throttle valves) Refer to "CHECKING THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR (FOR THROTTLE VALVES)" on page 8-89. 2. Adjust: • Throttle position sensor angle ▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼
Pressure gauge 90890-03153 YU-03153 Fuel pressure adapter 90890-03176 YM-03176
Fuel pressure 324 kPa (46.1 psi) (3.24 kg/ cm2)
THROTTLE BODIES
7-7
a. Temporary tighten the throttle position sensor (for throttle valves). b. Check that the throttle valves are fully closed. c. Connect the throttle position sensor (for throttle valves), throttle position sensor (for throttle cable pulley) and throttle servo motor to the wire harness. d. Turn the main switch to “OFF” and set the engine stop switch to “ON”. e. Simultaneously press and hold the “SELECT” and “RESET” buttons, turn the main switch to "ON", and continue to press the buttons for 8 seconds more.
NOTE: “dIAG” appears on the odometer, tripmeter and fuel reserve trip LCD. f. Diagnostic code 01 is selected. g. Adjust the position of the throttle position sensor angle so that 16 can appear in the meter. h. After adjusting the throttle position sensor angle, tighten the throttle position sensor screws “1”.
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
EAS4C81023 ADJUSTING THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR (FOR THROTTLE CABLE PULLEY) 1. Check: • Throttle position sensor (for throttle cable pulley) Refer to "ADJUSTING THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR (FOR THROTTLE CABLE PULLEY)" on page 7-7. 2. Adjust: • Throttle position sensor (for throttle cable pulley) angle ▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼ a. Temporary tighten the throttle position sensor (for throttle cable pulley). b. Check that the throttle valves are fully closed. c. Connect the throttle position sensor (for throttle valves), throttle position sensor (for throttle cable pulley) and throttle servo motor to the wire harness. d. Turn the main switch to “OFF” and set the engine stop switch to “ON”. e. Simultaneously press and hold the “SELECT” and “RESET” buttons, turn the main switch to "ON", and continue to press the buttons for 8 seconds more. Simultaneously press and hold the “SELECT” and “RESET” buttons, turn the main switch to "ON", and continue to press the buttons for 8 seconds more.
NOTE: “dIAG” appears on the odometer, tripmeter and fuel reserve trip LCD. f. Diagnostic code 14 is selected. g. Adjust the position of the throttle position sensor angle so that 17 can appear in the meter. h. After adjusting the throttle position sensor angle, tighten the throttle position sensor screws “1”.

#12 ·
Also sometimes these bikes have issue idling with free flowing exhaust if you don't have a proper tune. Did it have the rough idle issue with the PCV hooked UP??? Or did it just stall when pulling in the clutch. If it only had a stalling issue I would hook the PCV back up, load a base map of a similar system and go from there.

Stalling issue with 07-08 R1

Just trying to give you a hand full of things to try before spending more money.

#13 ·
mymoriginal post said how i put new tps in and angled it to 15-16 degrees. the pc5 had the bike runnimg the same no matter what. the screws hes adjusting is the air screws for balancing. ive already balanced my throttle bodies 100% turning them all in is giving them no extra air. i will have alot to do this weekend. i really thoight this forum had answers.

#14 ·
If you give attitude no one will help you.

1. Your first post said with the PC5 that it stalled and THEN after you removed it you started explaining it surged and stalled. That's why I asked if if the surging started after the PC5 removal as you only said it stalled with he PC5.

2. You also never said that adjusting your TB screws made NO difference in the air/fuel ratio. How do you know its starving for air and not fuel??? Usually surging is from too much air from an unknown source(vacuum leak).

2. You said you had this problem since you purchased the bike. You never stated if the bike sat for a few years with the old owner. That's why I recommend Seafoam (have you tried this????). If the fuel injection system is clogged/gummed up due to old fuel the bike will surge, stall, and behave randomly.

3. You said there are no vacuum leaks. How did you check, you usually cant see a vacuum leak. I would spray starting fluid around the TB's and hoses. If the idle changes you have a vacuum leak. Just be careful to not do it with a hot engine(fire hazard). It could be a small cut in a line or a loose hose. You never stated your process for verifying.

I"M OUT, good luck

#15 ·
ok im not trying to be a shit head. the bike idled like this with pc. i did spray carb cleaner around boots etc and propane. the reason i pulled the pc is because diag mode without pc diag 01 was 15and 101... with pc was 15 and 57. ive literally tried all i can next is plugs, coils, and battery.

#16 ·
this paragraph is a little hard to read / understand. - genuine advice here, but perhaps take a little care with writing your paragraphs, as it can make it hard to understand, and hard to offer good help.

1. Have you tried clearing all the fault codes? - codes can be stored. I have an '08 as well, and when I first got it, I went into diagnostic mode, and found there were some codes already there.
I'd suggest clearing all the codes for a start, if they don't come back, then they are old stored codes, and are not contributing to your current issue.
If you dont go in and clear them, they remain stored, so this should be a frst step.

Once you have cleared the codes, running it for a while, then looking to see if they have come back or not, will tell you whether or not those codes are part of your problem.

2. The second thing I would look at, is possibly borrowing, or buying a power commander from someone else. You need to do this because with a 3/4 system (removed cat, and pipes) the bike NEEDS a power commander (or a flashed ecu) to run properly. If your power commander was not functioning correctly, then the codes may be related to the bike recognizing that the tune was wrong.
Basically, a poorly functioning power commander, or, no power commander at all, will cause the bike to run poorly - either of these things could contribute to the bike throwing codes.

After having checked the above, there are lots of other small things that can be looked at, but I think those are a good place to start.

You could also put the power commander back on, and go to the nearest shop with a dyno, and have them do a couple of runs, so you can see what the AFR looks like, as this might be helpful as well.

One after - thought - this is something that happened to someone I know with a 2008.

If you open up the airbox, the bike has got velocity stacks that lift up and down depending on RPM. they sort of clip into a little mechanism that lifts and lowers them at the appropriate RPM. If someone has done some work on the bike, and failed to clip them in properly, or if they have wiggled out - ths causes problems with how the bike runs. This will take you 15 minutes to whip the tank off, and take the top of the airbox off, and check.

#20 ·
ok got the manual, all tps sensors good and positioned correctly, ill need to verify exup and plugs this weekwend. ill also try to reprogram the power commander. i had codes 50 and 60 stored. not sure what 50 is meaning because the manual states faulty ecu memory. im going to recheck the throttle bodies and so forth also this weekend. air leaks too. i dont get why the idle is hunting it did it with commander installed also. is there a good r1 write up for power commander 5 the guy who had it last said he changed the map and throttle body voltage. id like to just erase everything on the pc5 and start fresh. how can i....one last thing. say if the velocity stacks dont seat at idle how do you fix that nothing in manual to adjust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.