Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

need help first r1

2K views 25 replies 5 participants last post by  ryan r108 
#1 ·
ok hello first off. i just got a r1 and when i first got it everytime i pulled the clutch in it died. since then i learned the diag mode and and learned the throttle body was only going to 57% i got a new tps sensor set it to 15-16 and balanced the throttle bodies. it has a y pipe and dan moto slipons dont believe it has a cat either. it did have a power commander installed and when i had it installed it ran at 57% tps open limit. without pc5 it opens 101.. im at a loss right now why the bike will idle at 1100 then surge to 1700...come back down and repeat...when it drives its fine but come to stop and it tries to idle at 1000-800 and dies. im not sure what else i can do. it had codes 50-60 in the history fyi. the only thing i can think to do next is battery, flash ecu with yec flash on ebay, or spark plugs and coil packs. im really mad cause i traded my xb9 for this and now it has alot of problems. please any help would be magical. if youd like to call me that would be cool also.

#2 ·
Hmmm have you checked for possible vacuum leaks? Sounds like unmetered air at idle. I idle at about 1700-2000 when it's cold, when it heats up it'll idle around 800, I have a flash tune ecu flash on mine. If you say it runs fine higher rpms but has problems at idle I would say it's not plugs, coils or battery. I had a failed pc5(only 2000 miles on the bike) only when the bike got hot. If I where you I'd put the bike to stock as much as you can, disconnect and reconnect the stock harness. What do the codes 50-60 relate to?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

#4 · (Edited)
ok hello first off. i just got a r1 and when i first got it everytime i pulled the clutch in it died. since then i learned the diag mode and and learned the throttle body was only going to 57% i got a new tps sensor set it to 15-16 and balanced the throttle bodies. it has a y pipe and dan moto slipons dont believe it has a cat either. it did have a power commander installed and when i had it installed it ran at 57% tps open limit. without pc5 it opens 101.. im at a loss right now why the bike will idle at 1100 then surge to 1700...come back down and repeat...when it drives its fine but come to stop and it tries to idle at 1000-800 and dies. im not sure what else i can do. it had codes 50-60 in the history fyi. the only thing i can think to do next is battery, flash ecu with yec flash on ebay, or spark plugs and coil packs. im really mad cause i traded my xb9 for this and now it has alot of problems. please any help would be magical. if youd like to call me that would be cool also.
Hmmm have you checked for possible vacuum leaks? Sounds like unmetered air at idle. I idle at about 1700-2000 when it's cold, when it heats up it'll idle around 800, I have a flash tune ecu flash on mine. If you say it runs fine higher rpms but has problems at idle I would say it's not plugs, coils or battery. I had a failed pc5(only 2000 miles on the bike) only when the bike got hot. If I where you I'd put the bike to stock as much as you can, disconnect and reconnect the stock harness. What do the codes 50-60 relate to?

sorry 2008
First off, when you get past this problem you'll love the 08 R1 more than your other bike as frustrating as this is right now. I think Gkamp bring up some good ideas to check. Being I have an 06 that I know inside and out I have very little knowledge on the 08 other than reading other peoples problems with 07 and 08's on this site. If you don't have a shop service manual get one and start looking into what it recommends for your problem. The manual is a must have if you plan on doing your own work. I've hear that the fly by wire can cause some odd problems when not working correctly so you may want to look at that. If you can't figure it out on your own I'd find a highly recommend performance shop or dealer and take it to have them fix it. It'll be worth it!!! Good luck and keep us up to date with your progress.

Edit: Forgot to ask, is the PC5 disconnected now? BTW, welcome to the site.

#5 ·
#11 ·
Best test is to put the harness back to stock and see if the problem remains or goes away. That's how I tested mine that ONLY failed during a long ride(30 miles) at 105+F outside, it would just shut the bike off right in the middle of the commute, it drove the dealership crazy trying to diagnose(just bought it and was under warranty). I usually do my own work.

#16 ·
Do you have a slip on exhaust? If you do they have generic tunes based on the exhaust you have. Power Commander site has instructions on how to load the software, and there are tons of videos on youtube that explain functions and abilities.

#20 ·
I hate to suggest this because I can be a little dangerous but if you get a little starting fluid and lightly spray places on the throttle body/vacuum lines if you get a sudden Rev then goes back down you know it's sucking air there and sucked in the starting fluid. Be very cautious if you do this, not responsible for accidently burning your bike or house down :)

#21 ·
ok.....wow i replaced the autolite plugs with ngk factork plugs. i also put 4 brand new coil packs. sprayed it all down with cleaner and nothing. rebalanced all the bodies and this time i turned all in and then 180* out still had a hunting idle. anti stall thing. erased all codes which were basically all the plugs i unplugged. and nothing....heres what worys the shit outta me. randomly the two rubber like cam gasket gromets on the side of the head..one pushed out and let a lot of air out of it while idling. wth is wrong with this bike. also if i wanted to eliminate the air induction reed valve mech do i remove the reed valves and then just buy the bloack off plates...reason i ask a buddy gave me some.

im lost

#22 ·
The air coming out of the head sounds like excess crankcase pressure, not sure if these bikes have a pcv valve like cars do. This is past my expertise as I've not had the experience on these specific engines as others have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.