Wet Sump vs. Dry Sump - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Oil and Lubrication For discussion on oil and lubrication

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Wet Sump vs. Dry Sump

Why are all modern sport bikes wet sump designs, as opposed to dry sump? Seems like dry sumps (which are used in high performance and racings cars) would be the more "stable" way to lubricate a high performance engine, especially one whose attitude (leaning left/right) changes quite a lot. Don't have to worry about the crank getting bogged down in the oil, or whipping it into a froth, thus creating a problem with oil pressure. Even my old CB750 had a dry sump system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 01:01 PM
I eat my R1

Send a message via AIM to iceman4357
...especially when they put the sump at the FRONT of the damn engine which can cause the engine to starve for oil.

2007 R1(black/gray)

A&R baffles
Akra Ypipe
BMC Race Filter
AK-20 Fork kit
Penske Double click
AIS blocked
PC3
Flash-Tune
Sintered Pads
more I cant remember
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Banned

it probably involves cost and room/design.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur1 View Post
it probably involves cost and room/design.
I don't think so. The MotoGP bikes use a wet sump as well, and cost isn't a problem for them. Gotta be another reason.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProModR1 View Post
But MotoGP bike teams don't really have a budget.
That's the whole point. If a dy sump system is better, than surely a MotoGP bike would run it, regardless of cost.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudpipe View Post
Why are all modern sport bikes wet sump designs, as opposed to dry sump? Seems like dry sumps (which are used in high performance and racings cars) would be the more "stable" way to lubricate a high performance engine, especially one whose attitude (leaning left/right) changes quite a lot. Don't have to worry about the crank getting bogged down in the oil, or whipping it into a froth, thus creating a problem with oil pressure. Even my old CB750 had a dry sump system.

ALL modern sport bikes DO NOT use wet-sump oiling, as you infer.

Most Aprilia motorcycles use dry-sump oiling, as well as the KTM Super Duke and 1190 RC-8.

Other sportbikes, the names of which you would recognize, use dry-sump oiling systems - I just can't think of any more examples right now.

I would agree with Blu that the reason is probably cost...the Japanese OEMs are trying to maintain a certain price point in their bikes as one of the ways to differentiate them from the European bikes.

A hallmark of Jap bikes has always been the ability to equal or exceed the performance of Euro bikes, at a lower price of admission. Part of the reason they are able to do this is by limiting unnecessary gadgets on the bikes (such as dry-sump oiling).

Yes, dry-sump offers some advantages, such as lower weight and consistent oiling in high-G cornering, but it's really not needed - these bikes do fine with wet-sump.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankin&bankin View Post
ALL modern sport bikes DO NOT use wet-sump oiling, as you infer.
I know that not all modern sport bikes use wet-sump designs. That was a generalization.

I can only imagine that the Big Four have gotten wet-sump designs to be "good enough" where they don't think the added complexity of a dry sump is necessary. I still don't think cost is an issue in their decision, because the MotoGP bikes use a wet-sump design (unless the regulations require that and the manufacturers don't have a choice... I don't know).
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 12:54 PM
NeeD 4 SpeeD

Quote:
I don't think so. The MotoGP bikes use a wet sump as well, and cost isn't a problem for them. Gotta be another reason.
motogp bikes use dry sump .

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh199/lostcomrad/sigpic33288_1.jpg
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sss r1 View Post
motogp bikes use dry sump .
No, they don't. They're all wet sump.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 02:08 PM
NeeD 4 SpeeD

Quote:
No, they don't. They're all wet sump.
ok , coz u said so

honda rcv :
"Another unique aspect of the engine was its semi-dry-sump oiling system; the crankshaft area is sealed off as a separate chamber, and a scavenge pump uses the transmission cavity as an oil reservoir. This setup offers numerous benefits over conventional wet- and dry-sump designs, including less pumping losses and blow-by into the combustion chamber, a more stable oil level and a stronger and more compact crankcase construction."

http://www.sportrider.com/features/0...11v/index.html

i think ducati is also dry sump , but i cant find it.

kawasaki , yami and suzuki are all wet sump , because they are using conventional il4 engine config.

conventional il4 engine is wide , so it must be installed high in the chasis (for ground clearance mainly) .this leaves lots of space and simplicity for regular wet sump.

all other engine configurations (v2,v4,v5) installed lower in the frame , so they use dry sump most of the time.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
ok , coz u said so

honda rcv :
"Another unique aspect of the engine was its semi-dry-sump oiling system; the crankshaft area is sealed off as a separate chamber, and a scavenge pump uses the transmission cavity as an oil reservoir. This setup offers numerous benefits over conventional wet- and dry-sump designs, including less pumping losses and blow-by into the combustion chamber, a more stable oil level and a stronger and more compact crankcase construction."

http://www.sportrider.com/features/0...11v/index.html

i think ducati is also dry sump , but i cant find it.

kawasaki , yami and suzuki are all wet sump , because they are using conventional il4 engine config.

conventional il4 engine is wide , so it must be installed high in the chasis (for ground clearance mainly) .this leaves lots of space and simplicity for regular wet sump.

all other engine configurations (v2,v4,v5) installed lower in the frame , so they use dry sump most of the time.
So I'm right. Thanks for proving my point. Dry-sump is only used out of necessity (clearance), not because it's better in some way. Sounds like Honda is the only one that has a proprietary system, and even that is not strictly dry-sump.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 02:32 PM
NeeD 4 SpeeD

also , motrcycles are a bit different fron cars . motorcycles lean into the turn , so , the oil wont move to the outer side of the engine .
if that was the case , motorcycle would never work good with carburetors.
take a carbed bike , lean it 45 deg while standing still , the engine will stall.
luckily , this doesnt happen when u ride

or , take a cup with water , hold it in your hand and spin around ...
now do the same thing , but lean the cup into the turning radius ... see what i mean?

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
also , motrcycles are a bit different fron cars . motorcycles lean into the turn , so , the oil wont move to the outer side of the engine .
if that was the case , motorcycle would never work good with carburetors.
take a carbed bike , lean it 45 deg while standing still , the engine will stall.
luckily , this doesnt happen when u ride

or , take a cup with water , hold it in your hand and spin around ...
now do the same thing , but lean the cup into the turning radius ... see what i mean?
That's a good point. The oil probably doesn't slosh around quite as much as in a car because of the centripetal force.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode