Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Yamalube oil analysis back from Blackstone Labs

8K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Stonewall 
#1 ·
Oil analysis results are in:

Engine is breaking in, of course, but looks good. Need to confirm the shop used 20w50 Yamalube like they told me since the viscosity appears to be lower, possibly 10w40 based on the numbers. When I do the next analysis I'll see how the 10w40 AmsOil holds up to 4,000 to 6,000 miles of use. The lab even suggests I can run 6,000 miles on the Yamalube the shop used before changing, falling inline with what the EU manual recommends for oil change intervals.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I didn't bother with the 600 mile service oil analysis. This is the second oil change with 4700 miles on the bike. I'll probably be doing my oil changes at 5,000 mile intervals (thus the 4,700 mile oil change this time). If it was on the track I'd change it more often, but it's a daily driver (although it's getting about a month off right now).

#5 ·
yeah i dont understand why your shop would tell you they're putting 20w50 on an R1.. specially when Yamaha recommends 10w40 :lol

i run 5w40 T6 as it does help with lower temps here in spring and fall riding :yesnod

to be honest, oil analysis this early on in the game is kinda wasting your time and $... there's nothing to be learned from it really :dunno

#7 ·
That's what I thought was weird also, so based on the numbers I'll assume they used 10w40, not 20w50. That makes it a more even comparison between the Yamalube and AmsOil.

Perhaps there's not much to be learned about the engine, but it does help establish a baseline for my bike. Besides, it was more about the oil since I added the TBN test and want to see a comparison between the Yamalube with OEM filter vs. AmsOil with AmsOil filter. Since I plan to change oil every 5,000 miles, that's only about twice a year for me, at the moment. With the money I save by not changing the oil each month, I think I can afford $70 per year for oil analysis.

#8 ·
i take that 70 bucks and turn it into hotel fees on a big arse trip into the interior of BC.. yah know, riding !! :lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.