Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Water wetter vs antifreeze corrosion protection

10K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Stridersr7 
#1 ·
I'm in a climate that doesn't require antifreeze so I'm considering just running water wetter with distilled water. My main concern is the corrosion protection though. Does anyone have experience running both setups long term (especially with storage)? Also it seems I'd have to flush the water wetter setup once a year vs every two years with antifreeze but that isn't a deal breaker for me at all.

For some reason I feel like a 50% mix of antifreeze will offer better protection than water wetter can produce but I may be 100% wrong.

#2 ·
I researched this as I only ran distilled water/water wetter in my R1 for track days, and that wasn't for very long. From what I remember, it isn't recommended to run for day to day use as there are no corrosion inhibitors in water wetter. The distilled water, while mostly neutral, will over time collect ions from the metal surfaces it comes in contact with and eventually corrode your system if not flushed often. There is no benefit to running water/water wetter on the street so you are better off keeping a 50/50 coolant/distilled water solution in your cooling system.

#8 ·
There is no benefit to running water/water wetter on the street so you are better off keeping a 50/50 coolant/distilled water solution in your cooling system.
I disagree with this. My R1 runs cooler on the street with the WW/Distilled vs. antifreeze/distilled. It is the main reason I switched. My R1 actually doesn't have an issue on the track, but it runs hot in traffic...

#4 ·
Yeah I've seen tests that show it does help prevent corrosion. I'm just worried it won't be nearly as effective as standard antifreeze and I can't find anything that compares the two. I was hoping some riders here have had experience with both long term and could share their thoughts on it.

#14 ·
Engine ice is not allowed by some track orgs:fact

#20 ·
It is an oil and beer much not track approved

#23 ·
I was told by several orgs I ran with if the jug doesn't say track approved i cannot use it. period end of discussion.
of course they cannot confirm anything. some I've heard say if it isn't pink it's a no go and you'll be turned away from tech inspection. some orgs are serious. I've had them inspect my riding gear before. specifically looking for the date in my helmet.

#24 ·
Anything that acts as an antifreeze has some type of gylco in it--including Engine Ice. It is not allowed at my track Miller Motorsports (now Utah Motorsports Complex). Why, because the gylco part of the mix is very slippery and hard to clean off the track when spilled. Even if you don't get a hole in your radiator, fluid can come out the overflow. Frankly I don't want anything that slippery anywhere near my rear wheel when I'm leaned over in a fast turn.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.