Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2005 R1 with synthetic

7K views 47 replies 14 participants last post by  DarkHorse 
#1 ·
Had the bike about a year last oil change was amsoil Synthetic . How big of a deal and problem would it be to go with just regular Yamaha lube?

#2 ·
Wouldn't be an issue but why would you? Cost?

#21 · (Edited)
that's because it's made for low rpm engines(usually 3k max) that have much different needs than a gasoline engine spinning at 12k rpm. people are just hard headed. Hey I'll cheap out on motor oil the lifeblood of the engine without it the bike is a paperweight. but spend 3 months salary on useless bolt on pretty parts like Ti bolts, silicone hoses, carbon fiber bodywork:icon_rolleyes:

#29 ·
it may be able to pass those tests but remember those tests are simulating normal tinkering around town driving.
which I would assume rotella would work just fine in an engine only designed to hit 3k for diesels and 6k for gas engines for short bursts.

in a bike that doesn't even begin it's powerband as low as those other engines max rpm you'd want to use an oil designed to withstand that kind of abuse for longer periods of time.
if oil is not a gimmick then a high performance oil designed for high rpm motorcycle engines should be providing adequate protection vs a oil designed for car/truck engines.

I underlined a key part above because honestly unless one of us works as an engineer in that industry to know for sure, we just have to trust what we are paying extra for is what we are getting.

#46 ·
Rotella T6 5W-40 is now a diesel only oil. It's been reformulated to meet the new API CK-4 standard.

Their fleet oil is a 5W-30, which meets SN.

I haven't found any solid info on what has changed in the 5W-40 for it to lose the gas engine ratings. I don't understand how Shell can still claim MA without that.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.