55 Wide Tires ? - Page 2 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Tire Tech Forum Everything tire related post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 156 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Drop a gear and Disappear!

Send a message via AIM to Twisted Noodle
55 is an excellent tire im runnin a 60 on my o6 r1

Mad Ned the Executioner ...Arrrr!
Chief Will of the Booze Junkies M.C.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is your Last Chance. After this there is No turning back... You take the Blue Pill, The Story Ends, You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. ....Take the Red Pill ...You Stay in Wonderland ...And I show you... How deep ...The Rabbit Hole goes.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I am the baddest mother ****er in the valley ...Sgt.Siek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 156 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 09:50 PM
My R1 eats me.

i hope this works

I am buying some 209 GP's 190/60/17's from a guy on craigslist as we email. They are the ones made in Britan, not US. So, I do hope they work. Otherwise, it will be a bit of a hassle. Have a track day on Monday at Thunderhill in Ca. I went from stock 190'/50's to 190/55's. And now this 3rd set will be 190/60. I am looking for a quicker turn in.
post #23 of 156 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Work sucks! I'm going riding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefanatic View Post
I am buying some 209 GP's 190/60/17's from a guy on craigslist as we email. They are the ones made in Britan, not US. So, I do hope they work. Otherwise, it will be a bit of a hassle. Have a track day on Monday at Thunderhill in Ca. I went from stock 190'/50's to 190/55's. And now this 3rd set will be 190/60. I am looking for a quicker turn in.

By increasing the rear tire aspect ratio, you are essentially raising the rear ride height, but there are other ways to achieve this as well. You could raise the rear ride height by altering the rear suspension (longer or shorter dogbones, not positive which on *your* bike). You can also increase turn-in by lowering the front of the bike in relation to the forks (move the top of the forks up relative to the triple clamps). There are some other options, but they are generally expensive (reducing rake by altering the upper triple clamp... for example).

You should ensure that the suspension preloads are set correctly. A really good description of how to check and set the front and rear preloads are shown in Lee Parks book Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques. It also goes into suspension adjustments and some other aspects of machine set up. You may be trying to solve a problem with tire aspect that could be resolved with a simple suspension adjustment.

I'd also recommend Nick Ienatsch's book Sportbike Riding Techniques. Very helpful and easy to read.

When in doubt... GAS IT!!

post #24 of 156 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 11:01 PM
PUUUURRRRRGGGE!

more than anything, a 55 profile is supposed to be an advantage over a 50 profile due to the larger contact patch when leant over.
post #25 of 156 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

hi there all
Just to let you know one of the best mods i have done is changing the rear tyre to a 55 profile instead of the 50 profile.

1. The first big change is the way the bike tips into each corner it is very light which may put you off the first time that you ride it as it seems very unsteady but if you jump on a 600cc bike then jump back on your own bike you will see this is ok this why i changed this as i felt the 600 changed direction much quicker than my own, i have changed the suspension many times to try and adjust to the same direction as the 600 steering, i am not a mechanic but i have learnt a few things about set up this does work very well.

2. The next change was to line it holds when you have tipped into the corner it seems to hold the line much better it also seems to change direction through mid corner if you have to pick the bike up then lay it back down or if you are going through a number of S bends left and right direction changes are a lot easier with no rear grip issues at all.

3. I have done a few miles on the bike so the chain has expanded so there are no issues on the part that it may hit your swing arm i have also done a lot of miles on the bike on the one day so if the tyres heat up the are no issues were the tyre expanded and hit the swing arm and i cannot say that if buy a new chain and sprocket that there might not be an issue if you are using OEM sizes i have been told that if go down 1 sprocket size there will not be an issue with this and just to let you know this problem is only with 2004 and 2005 models with the shorter swing arm the 2006 model has a longer swing arm so you could put on bigger tyres the OEM set up.

I have noticed that i have a much better feel of what the front end is doing and inturn i have more confidence in the front and have went in much faster than i have before, i have been riding a bike since i was 8 years old, as i do not think that i am some kind of greart racer i do think i am quite a confident rider.

The only extra i have on is a akrapovic y piece so it has nothing to do with any extras fitted except for the 55 profile.

I hope this helps anybody thinking about this change as i had thought about this for a long time, yes it will feel totally different from what you have been used to that is why you will love it.

Cheers and happy riding.

post #26 of 156 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 01:11 AM
NOVICE

Send a message via AIM to brnrber
190/55 shouldnt be a problem. that size should have came stock...so much better in the turns. i believe the tire is 3/4 of an inch taller with the 55s vs 50s

heres a pic that i found useful.

Painted/ Powdercoated White, Graves Full Ti, Graves Velocity Stacks, GYTR Filter, PCIII, Quickshifter, -1/+2 520, Graves Block Off Plates, Strapped, Integrated Tail Light, Flushmounts, Seat Cowl, Mirror Blockoffs, Full Gear

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 11:10 PM
"Catch me if, you can"

3. I have done a few miles on the bike so the chain has expanded so there are no issues on the part that it may hit your swing arm i have also done a lot of miles on the bike on the one day so if the tyres heat up the are no issues were the tyre expanded and hit the swing arm and i cannot say that if buy a new chain and sprocket that there might not be an issue if you are using OEM sizes i have been told that if go down 1 sprocket size there will not be an issue with this and just to let you know this problem is only with 2004 and 2005 models with the shorter swing arm the 2006 model has a longer swing arm so you could put on bigger tyres the OEM set up.

First of all I know this is an old thread, but I have read this paragraph 2 times and I must be retarted cuz im not getting it..
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME FOR SURE if I have a 2004 model with everything STOCK as far as chain, sprockets... WILL I HAVE ANY PROBLEMS fitting a 190/55 in the rear? "rubbing whatever" thanks
post #28 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 06:35 AM
Yamaha blue, in any color.

Send a message via Yahoo to DanQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by $exy_Dirty View Post

First of all I know this is an old thread, but I have read this paragraph 2 times and I must be retarted cuz im not getting it..
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME FOR SURE if I have a 2004 model with everything STOCK as far as chain, sprockets... WILL I HAVE ANY PROBLEMS fitting a 190/55 in the rear? "rubbing whatever" thanks
No, you should not have any problem with the stock driveline. Dunlop lists the 190/50 as 24.81 inch diameter, and the 190/55 as a 25.38. There is a .57 inch difference in diameter, which would equate to a .285 change in height. Should be fine.

Signature by SpidermanSS. Thanks Shane!

Dan

CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
05 Vmax 20th Anniversary 98 of 2000
04 Road Star Warrior

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
post #29 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

I ride 190/55's with no problem at all.
post #30 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 12:19 AM
"Catch me if, you can"

thanks folks!
post #31 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

No problem. Hope you will enjoy your change as much as I did.
post #32 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 12:38 AM
"Catch me if, you can"

thats what everyone say so im very excited, now just need to find a good deal on them and i'll place an order!
post #33 of 156 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 11:23 AM
i just wanna ride

tire fit

will a 200/55/17 or 200/50/17 fit on a stock 07 r1
post #34 of 156 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 03:35 PM
My R1 eats me.

i ride with a 200 rear metz. no problems
post #35 of 156 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 08:55 PM
yield

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbydood View Post
By increasing the rear tire aspect ratio, you are essentially raising the rear ride height, but there are other ways to achieve this as well. You could raise the rear ride height by altering the rear suspension (longer or shorter dogbones, not positive which on *your* bike). You can also increase turn-in by lowering the front of the bike in relation to the forks (move the top of the forks up relative to the triple clamps). There are some other options, but they are generally expensive (reducing rake by altering the upper triple clamp... for example).

You should ensure that the suspension preloads are set correctly. A really good description of how to check and set the front and rear preloads are shown in Lee Parks book Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques. It also goes into suspension adjustments and some other aspects of machine set up. You may be trying to solve a problem with tire aspect that could be resolved with a simple suspension adjustment.

I'd also recommend Nick Ienatsch's book Sportbike Riding Techniques. Very helpful and easy to read.
Wouldnt that be reducing trail?

Asked if he was afraid of dying in an accident, Marco Simoncelli responded: "No. You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." rip #58 ciao ciao bello

the art of the moto:
post #36 of 156 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdonniedarkox View Post
Wouldnt that be reducing trail?
Lowering the front will affect both rake and trail. But raising the back with a tire height increase will affect rake, but possibly not trail.

Generally there will be about a 1mm reduction in trail for a 4 mm change in height.

Make sense?

Dan

CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
04 Road Star Warrior

post #37 of 156 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 09:57 PM
yield

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
Lowering the front will affect both rake and trail. But raising the back with a tire height increase will affect rake, but possibly not trail.

Generally there will be about a 1mm reduction in trail for a 4 mm change in height.

Make sense?
Thanks Dan,
I got it. Wondering if the poster did

Asked if he was afraid of dying in an accident, Marco Simoncelli responded: "No. You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." rip #58 ciao ciao bello

the art of the moto:
post #38 of 156 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdonniedarkox View Post
Thanks Dan,
I got it. Wondering if the poster did
No telling. It's one of those tricky areas like squat/anti-squat with suspensions that takes some looks.

With a good ride height adjustable shock, I'd take the larger rear tire. But for the stock suspension, I would go 120/70 front 190/55 and keep the fork tubes flush, and maybe even a little less sag in the front, maintaining a good balance of damping between the front and rear; before I played with the geometry much. The R1 is an extremely well balanced chassis by design. We just have to get it there to appreciate it.

Dan

CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
04 Road Star Warrior

post #39 of 156 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 06:07 PM
VIP MOD

Am I going to have a problem with a 190/55 with a -1/+2 setup on an '07?

TPM:RED

post #40 of 156 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapcon View Post
Am I going to have a problem with a 190/55 with a -1/+2 setup on an '07?
nope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode