track tires on the street - Page 2 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Tire Tech Forum Everything tire related post it here.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 08:47 AM
anything on two wheels

What he said. Set your bike up for fast. You'll manage slow just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 07:14 PM
I,m too old for this ****!

Since I'm 56, I'm guessing I'm the oldest one here. Since I could drive I've always had a motorcycle. Couple of mini-bikes, French Velo-Solex (basically a bicycle with a motor over the front wheel), Honda sport 50, Honda 305 Super Hawk, Harley Aermacchi 125, Kawasaki 500 H-1, 1974 Yamaha RD-350 (highly modified, kept it 10 years), Honda VF-750 (POS), 1987 Yamaha FZR-1000 (kept this one 17 years!), 2004 Yamaha R-1.

"Speak softly, but ride like hell!"
post #23 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 07:34 PM
anything on two wheels

Dude, I'm 53 and we're talkin' rubber, but besides that what a list of hardware. If they were all still yours...what a collection!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 07:54 PM
I,m too old for this ****!

I wish I'd kept the RD-350. Cafe racer from when one had to make them. Giant killer if there was one!

"Speak softly, but ride like hell!"
post #25 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 08:03 PM
anything on two wheels

I hear ya. RDs, FZs, FZRs, If only we could keep them all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FZR.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	331176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mulholland dr..jpg
Views:	223
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	331177  

post #26 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Yamaha blue, in any color.

Send a message via Yahoo to DanQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjack View Post
Still got my 91 FZR. Wouldn't dream of getting rid of it, but man... finding 17 year old parts is getting hard.

Signature by SpidermanSS. Thanks Shane!

Dan

CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
05 Vmax 20th Anniversary 98 of 2000
04 Road Star Warrior

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
post #27 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 11:24 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

I ride supercorsas on the street and I'm loving them. They Feel a LOT better than my pilot powers..
post #28 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjack View Post
The good-old duct-taped knees trick.

I'm lovin' it!
post #29 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 08:34 PM
My R1 Makes me Horny!

I run Pirelli Diablo Corsa III's and I LOVE them! They have a 3 zone dual compound rubber which works great on both street and track. The 3 zones are the soft compound on the sides where you need it for cornering and the harder compound in the center where you ride most often on the street to prolong wear. They heat up fast and I have had them on a couple of tracks now and they grip good enough to drag my knee's no problem.

STORM

UNBELIVABLE SIG WORK COURTESY OF PETROL_SPICE!

"People will ALWAYS be MORE impressed with the Power of our Example,
then the Example of our Power!
"
- Bill Clinton 08/27/08

Kickin Track Videos:
PBIR:

Homestead 1

Last edited by Storm Trooper; 05-06-2008 at 09:32 AM.
post #30 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:39 PM
I eat my R1

I run race take offs and I love them. We ride mountain roads 90% of the time and the curves that sneek up on you in the mountains will definatly get the tires hot enough. I run a medium compound and have no complaints. They feel much better than my PP's did through thouse tight turns.

I will say that I do not agree with using them in areas where you don't have the advantage of getting them hot because they do not handle well when cold.
post #31 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 10:21 AM
My R1 eats me.

Sticky Tyres

soft Track tyres such as race techs are fine for the road I have used my track day Tyres on my road bike for years, you do not have to worry about them getting hot as they give more grip when cold than any conventional road tyre therefore making them safer for those Early morning trips. I have just returned from a few track days in Spain and have many part worn tyres each pair only used one day making them ideal for the road call me if you want on 07802200512 Mike
post #32 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 12:40 AM
My R1 eats me.

Even street rubber takes a while to warm, I use 209 GP on the street and find there grippy as hell.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UgDiAnYYDOv0NsyS0y1uvsnfaoCXu1StKqm26Gl7kWjf5OScY xbeIgTmjfoYDEpHDDJsfqRReQLjhEkgFDjGEFSOSbHnJQCzbsK 9Py3jUX!08njL7LNmOGE7qx1h3EcK/Steve-R1-3.gif?dc=4675421083826561704
post #33 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 05:34 AM
working hard

i ride perilli dragon super corsa then i changed to the perilli diablo supercorsa they all work fine. the only problem is the price.
post #34 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Ducati stuff

Garage
The guy up the street from me races and has a stack of take offs in his garage... I can get them for next to nothing, but now I am weary to run them on the street. There are dunlops that came on my 08 R6 and I was thinking of trying out some race rubber. But not if it is dangerous until they heat up. Or too many heat cycles harden the rubber. I wish I had some hard facts to go by. BAH!

sig by petrol

Depends on how drunk i am , I am from the south and banjo music makes it more exciting
BeaverPuncher09

post #35 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripNrip View Post
The guy up the street from me races and has a stack of take offs in his garage... I can get them for next to nothing, but now I am weary to run them on the street. There are dunlops that came on my 08 R6 and I was thinking of trying out some race rubber. But not if it is dangerous until they heat up. Or too many heat cycles harden the rubber. I wish I had some hard facts to go by. BAH!
Aw, don't believe most of what you hear about this stuff.

I've run Power Races that were more than 2 years old, and had been sitting in an unheated, uncooled garage, been subjected to temperatures of well below freezing and well above 100 degrees.

I have run them in temps of 50 degrees, and yes, they take a few minutes to warm up, but even before they warm up, they aren't going to toss you down the road. They will just wiggle a little bit to remind you to watch what you're doing.

The fact that you've survived this long on a sportbike shows that you've got at least a rudimentary amount of sense--

Use the brain God gave you and you'll be fine.
post #36 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 10:40 PM
Ducati stuff

Garage
Very good then! The middle of these tires have a lot of beef on them.... How do you know when they are shot? Its not like you can really gauge the sides, They are well broken in!

sig by petrol

Depends on how drunk i am , I am from the south and banjo music makes it more exciting
BeaverPuncher09

post #37 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Squid

Quote:
Very good then! The middle of these tires have a lot of beef on them.... How do you know when they are shot? Its not like you can really gauge the sides, They are well broken in!
When they show cord.
post #38 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Ducati stuff

Garage
Is this really ?? Thats nuts.... just ride em till they show chord?

sig by petrol

BeaverPuncher09

post #39 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Yamaha blue, in any color.

Send a message via Yahoo to DanQ
Quote:
Is this really ?? Thats nuts.... just ride em till they show chord?
I think he was being sarcastic.

Most tires will begin giving feedback before then. With Dunlops, I start to notice sliding and spinning before then. And as the last trackday we hit, GPD270 was running DOT Bridgestones that started to lose chunks of rubber and get greasy when they got to the end of their life.

Signature by SpidermanSS. Thanks Shane!

Dan

CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
05 Vmax 20th Anniversary 98 of 2000
04 Road Star Warrior

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
post #40 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 10:43 AM
If speed kills quit taking it

Quote:
Originally Posted by n33ly View Post
Why? Dont do it. Track tyres are funnily enough designed for the track. High performance road tyres are designed for the road. Tyre companies spend millions on development and are pretty good at developing tyres for certain conditions. Track tyres will not perform as well on the road as they are designed to work at a certain temperature.
Bollocks, track scrubs work perfectly well on the street, I've run 'em for years and have NEVER had an issue except for they wear quicker than street tyres; they stick and heat up quickly and for the price are a perfectly viable option to buying new street tyres

Being shot out of a cannon will always be better
than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles ..." -Hunter S. Thompson.

Go here to read about my latest travels----->

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode