track tires on the street - Page 3 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Tire Tech Forum Everything tire related post it here.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 10:53 AM
If speed kills quit taking it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisyamaha View Post
Since I'm 56, I'm guessing I'm the oldest one here. Since I could drive I've always had a motorcycle. Couple of mini-bikes, French Velo-Solex (basically a bicycle with a motor over the front wheel), Honda sport 50, Honda 305 Super Hawk, Harley Aermacchi 125, Kawasaki 500 H-1, 1974 Yamaha RD-350 (highly modified, kept it 10 years), Honda VF-750 (POS), 1987 Yamaha FZR-1000 (kept this one 17 years!), 2004 Yamaha R-1.
OK nice, but since we're talking about tyres .... what's your point?

Being shot out of a cannon will always be better
than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles ..." -Hunter S. Thompson.

Go here to read about my latest travels----->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
Still got my 91 FZR. Wouldn't dream of getting rid of it, but man... finding 17 year old parts is getting hard.
Had a 1990 and it was a killer bike, sometimes wish I'd kept instead of upgrading to the R1. Loved the colour scheme and it went like snot and handled great...

Makes you wish you could keep 'em all doesn't it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NewImage-1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	341932  

than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles ..." -Hunter S. Thompson.

post #43 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Yamaha blue, in any color.

Send a message via Yahoo to DanQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahuh View Post
Had a 1990 and it was a killer bike, sometimes wish I'd kept instead of upgrading to the R1. Loved the colour scheme and it went like snot and handled great...

Makes you wish you could keep 'em all doesn't it?
That's my plan. Haven't sold one of my bikes since 1996 when I bought the FZR.

Need a bigger garage.

The 90 was one of the best looking in my book. Killer power too

Signature by SpidermanSS. Thanks Shane!

Dan

CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
05 Vmax 20th Anniversary 98 of 2000
04 Road Star Warrior

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN

post #44 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankin&bankin View Post
Aw, don't believe most of what you hear about this stuff.

I've run Power Races that were more than 2 years old, and had been sitting in an unheated, uncooled garage, been subjected to temperatures of well below freezing and well above 100 degrees.
Exactly what he said.
I've run 2 year old D208 GP's on Deals Gap and had no problems at all except for the edges of my tyres going ridiculously blue ... modern street or track sport tyres are all pretty much more than you can use realistically on the street. The only diff being the mileage you can expect from 'em. Treat 'em with some respect, use some common sense and you won't go far wrong.

post #45 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
The 90 was one of the best looking in my book. Killer power too
Bodywork was a fricken' pain in the ass to remove and reinstall though.

post #46 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 02:03 PM
I eat my R1

ive been running the dunlop qualifiers and i like them have had no issues with them other than a lil spinning leaving corners in 1st gear on my 07 R1
post #47 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by shitychevy View Post
ive been running the dunlop qualifiers and i like them have had no issues with them other than a lil spinning leaving corners in 1st gear on my 07 R1
Oh, stop lying.
post #48 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankin&bankin View Post
Oh, stop lying.
I haven't had a spin with the Qualifiers. But it's my first set of street tires in two years, and I haven't had the bike on the track since June. But I'm sure they will spin. All my Dunlops have.

Dan

CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
04 Road Star Warrior

Last edited by DanQ; 08-14-2008 at 10:23 PM.
post #49 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 10:03 PM
I eat my R1

they spin up just fine 2nd and 3rd gear granted in 3rd gear you have to be haulin ass or clutch it nicely
post #50 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shitychevy View Post
they spin up just fine 2nd and 3rd gear granted in 3rd gear you have to be haulin ass or clutch it nicely
My bad. I meant two years, not two gears. I am sure I can spin the Qualifiers. But I'm also pretty sure they will do so predictably.

Dan

CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
04 Road Star Warrior

post #51 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 12:28 AM
I eat my R1

i havent really practiced spinning it up and controlling it but ive spun it up im just not to comfortable with it just yet
post #52 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 06:57 AM
My R1 Makes me Horny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysteve View Post
I had purchased my new to me R1 and it already came with these tires. Ill ride them till there gone, Im just afraid ill lose it one day because of them being cold. Ive broken lose twice just because i forgot about them. I guess only time will tell if I buy another tire like this but Im guessing no.
I didn't go through this whole thread to know if anyone has advised you of this yet but track tires (DOT Race Tires) can come apart on the street! WHY? I asked the same question when I was having some Pirelli Supercorsa's installed at a local performance shop. They pulled out another brand DOT Race tire and showed how it delaminated while being ridden on the street because they aren't made for long distance straight line runs which is more often than not what you find on the street. They said that DOT race tires are made for cornering with some brief straits. Something about warming up then cooling down intervals but they strongly warned me NOT to ride mine on the street.

If I were you I would contact the manufacture of the tire and ask them first! Good luck.

STORM

UNBELIVABLE SIG WORK COURTESY OF PETROL_SPICE!

"People will ALWAYS be MORE impressed with the Power of our Example,
then the Example of our Power!
"
- Bill Clinton 08/27/08

Kickin Track Videos:
PBIR:

Homestead 1

post #53 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 12:11 AM
I eat my R1

I race with dunlops so I keep my takeoffs and put em on my streetbike.
scott

Chuck Norris built my motorcycle, it runs off the tears of small children and makes 10,000 Hp, he calls it his "street version".
post #54 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 10:06 PM
GO Gators ! !! !

Send a message via AIM to kynetguy Send a message via Yahoo to kynetguy
I had a question pretty much on topic here. Maybe some of you more experienced people would help a brotha out.

I have been wanting to try a set of DOT Race tires out for some time. I am planning on buying them for the track, but may end up finishing them off on the street.

Here is the scoop. I have been a long fan of the Michelin Pilot series. (sport, power and now I have been running the power 2ct exclusively for 15 or so thousand miles)

I rarely have any grip issues with the 2ct on or off the track that isn't rider induced. be it from pushing it a little too hard cold or hammering the throttle too hard at full lean. I have (as recent as this past weekend) had the 2ct shoed r1 cranked over to where my knee was dragging and I was BEARLY sticking it out. I have 0 , none, nil chicken strips on a 190/55. No arrows or Michelin men either.

But while at the dragon I stopped by wheelers 2 years ago. he had some Pilot Race on hand. So I compared them to a 2ct. One thing that I noticed was the profile of the race was VERY round and very consistent compared to the more triangular profile of the 2ct. It just seems to me that leaning or transitioning on the race would be very consistent and very smooth. Whereas the 2ct is upright and loves to drop in. . .to the point that after about 15 degrees it feels like it is falling if you aren't carrying enough corner speed to stabilize everything with centrifugal force. I don't know if I would actually use the additional lean angle capabilities, but I sure would try. . .

However, my delima now is they changed the nomenclature on the Pilot race. It seems like the only thing I see is the compound. . .med, med sofr or soft. Are the profiles all the same just with a different compound? I would think a medium, being slightly more sticky than a 2ct would be plenty of grip. For me. Can someone educate me on this?

Another is dealing with heat cycles. . .I know this is not as bif of a factor as it used to be. But, I would like to run a set for 2 track days at the end of Sept. (2 day event) I would be running 7 20 minute sessions in the advanced group. I am at the slower side of the advanced group or the top end of most intermediate groups. (except NESBA who refuses to bump anyone up to Advanced unless they are good friends with you or some crap...anyway)

After those two days, I would like to take them off and try to get two days out of them a the forum's Jennings weekend for two more days.

Each of the days I would be keeping them hot with warmers from start to finish. So would this be in effect 4 heat cycles? WOuld I have issues out of them, assuming I didn't wear them out? I am so confused about heat cycles. . .

[
post #55 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 10:19 AM
My R1 Makes me Horny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynetguy View Post
I had a question pretty much on topic here. Maybe some of you more experienced people would help a brotha out.

I have been wanting to try a set of DOT Race tires out for some time. I am planning on buying them for the track, but may end up finishing them off on the street.

Here is the scoop. I have been a long fan of the Michelin Pilot series. (sport, power and now I have been running the power 2ct exclusively for 15 or so thousand miles)

I rarely have any grip issues with the 2ct on or off the track that isn't rider induced. be it from pushing it a little too hard cold or hammering the throttle too hard at full lean. I have (as recent as this past weekend) had the 2ct shoed r1 cranked over to where my knee was dragging and I was BEARLY sticking it out. I have 0 , none, nil chicken strips on a 190/55. No arrows or Michelin men either.

But while at the dragon I stopped by wheelers 2 years ago. he had some Pilot Race on hand. So I compared them to a 2ct. One thing that I noticed was the profile of the race was VERY round and very consistent compared to the more triangular profile of the 2ct. It just seems to me that leaning or transitioning on the race would be very consistent and very smooth. Whereas the 2ct is upright and loves to drop in. . .to the point that after about 15 degrees it feels like it is falling if you aren't carrying enough corner speed to stabilize everything with centrifugal force. I don't know if I would actually use the additional lean angle capabilities, but I sure would try. . .

However, my delima now is they changed the nomenclature on the Pilot race. It seems like the only thing I see is the compound. . .med, med sofr or soft. Are the profiles all the same just with a different compound? I would think a medium, being slightly more sticky than a 2ct would be plenty of grip. For me. Can someone educate me on this?

Another is dealing with heat cycles. . .I know this is not as bif of a factor as it used to be. But, I would like to run a set for 2 track days at the end of Sept. (2 day event) I would be running 7 20 minute sessions in the advanced group. I am at the slower side of the advanced group or the top end of most intermediate groups. (except NESBA who refuses to bump anyone up to Advanced unless they are good friends with you or some crap...anyway)

After those two days, I would like to take them off and try to get two days out of them a the forum's Jennings weekend for two more days.

Each of the days I would be keeping them hot with warmers from start to finish. So would this be in effect 4 heat cycles? WOuld I have issues out of them, assuming I didn't wear them out? I am so confused about heat cycles. . .

Eric,

Although I know there are a lot who know A LOT more about this than you and I, but because I switched to DOT race recently, I have learned a little bit than I can offer for now. First, I went with a medium compound (SC2) Supercorsa's keeping in mind they start from SC0 and go up to SC3. I did that because I thought that because I'm still in the learning stages, I'm probably not going to really need the super, super soft stuff that the AMA etc. guys use besides they may last me a little longer.

As for profiles, also keeping in mind that I screwed up with my first tire changes after I bought the bike and although I went with a good tire (Corsa III's) I put a 65 in front instead of a 70 and the stock 50 in back. Now I have the 70 up front and a 55 in the back but the "Profile" on the Supercorsa is SICK! The falling feeling you described is exactly how it felt for me the first few laps around the track I took not long ago. But as soon as I got the feel of it, my bike was a whole nother animal! Road NOTHING like before. I was having a hard time NOT dragging my knee and found myself pulling it in a bit for even lower leans. I was SO IMPRESSED with these fuggers that I would hate to go back to a more streetable tire. I was probably twice as fast on lap times as I was with the alternatives.

As for heat cycles, I'm pretty sure one cycle is once you have started your warmer and have finished the track day. Not each session or each time you put the warmer on. Sorry I dont have any experience on the Pilots but my guess is there a lot like the Supercorsa.

I will add though, be CAREFUL about streeting them! Call the makers!

Good luck bro.

STORM

"
- Bill Clinton 08/27/08

Kickin Track Videos:
PBIR:

Homestead 1

Last edited by Storm Trooper; 08-28-2008 at 10:23 AM.
post #56 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 05:38 PM
I,m too old for this ****!

Yamahuh, I don't come here very often, hence my delay in answering your question.

I had made my point about tires a page or two back. That particular post was just to let some people know where I came from and some measure of who I am in order to better help them put in perspective my previously voiced opinion. Some other members apparently found it interesting.

"Speak softly, but ride like hell!"
post #57 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 10:16 PM
My R1 eats me.

Bridgestone BT003

I ride the Bridgestone BT003's on the street. The race DOT approved.
post #58 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 10:44 PM
...Ready

This thread has some good info. Especially since I am hitting the track for the first time very soon. Which brings about a question, I just installed CorsaIIIs on my bike, stock profile/50s....hope thats the correct number....
This should be an acceptable tire to use my first few times at the track right? Then as my skill and speeds progress, then the quality of my tire should do the same? Good thread to bring back for a minute.

CMRA #713
post #59 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 01:42 PM
My R1 Makes me Horny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstabbin View Post
This thread has some good info. Especially since I am hitting the track for the first time very soon. Which brings about a question, I just installed CorsaIIIs on my bike, stock profile/50s....hope thats the correct number....
This should be an acceptable tire to use my first few times at the track right? Then as my skill and speeds progress, then the quality of my tire should do the same? Good thread to bring back for a minute.
Yes bro, I use to run Corsa III's both street and track and they worked better than good for both. The 50 is the same profil as stock but when you are ready to get a lot more agressive and track more often, I would definately go to a 55 rear. It will make the bike fall into the turns much quicker and more agressively but do a few T.D.'s before you go there. Make sure you are going with the stock from profile 70/120 as well.

Happy to hear we will be able to see some track vids from you for a chance instead of those scary street runs.

STORM

"
- Bill Clinton 08/27/08

Kickin Track Videos:
PBIR:

Homestead 1

post #60 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 06:46 PM
zwp
I ride around like an idiot.

+1 Most high performance street tires do very well for your first track days. Really they'll do just fine for quite sometime. I am still running track/street tires and they are doing fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode