track tires on the street - Page 4 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Tire Tech Forum Everything tire related post it here.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 01:40 AM
...Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
Yes bro, I use to run Corsa III's both street and track and they worked better than good for both. The 50 is the same profil as stock but when you are ready to get a lot more agressive and track more often, I would definately go to a 55 rear. It will make the bike fall into the turns much quicker and more agressively but do a few T.D.'s before you go there. Make sure you are going with the stock from profile 70/120 as well.

Happy to hear we will be able to see some track vids from you for a chance instead of those scary street runs.
I know right, Those streets were all I had for a while and I made some bad decisions by going that fast on the street, but I think at one time or another, we were all guilty of that. I feel like I have matured more myself and I dont feel right pushing that hard on public roads. Now I want to take my skills to the track, where it belongs. I will for sure tape my first trackday too, slowpoke riding at its finest.

So should I change profile of both front and rear tire? I think I saw where you only changed the rear profile, I may be mistaken though.

CMRA #713
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:17 AM
My R1 Makes me Horny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstabbin View Post
I know right, Those streets were all I had for a while and I made some bad decisions by going that fast on the street, but I think at one time or another, we were all guilty of that. I feel like I have matured more myself and I dont feel right pushing that hard on public roads. Now I want to take my skills to the track, where it belongs. I will for sure tape my first trackday too, slowpoke riding at its finest.

So should I change profile of both front and rear tire? I think I saw where you only changed the rear profile, I may be mistaken though.
Yup, we are all guilty of that! But never too early to mature, you know. As for changing your "Rear" profile, you really wont need to for a few track days. It will take at least that long to start really getting agressive in the corners. Then when you do make the change, your gonna love it.

STORM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UNBELIVABLE SIG WORK COURTESY OF PETROL_SPICE!

"People will ALWAYS be MORE impressed with the Power of our Example,
then the Example of our Power!
"
- Bill Clinton 08/27/08

Kickin Track Videos:
PBIR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Homestead 1

post #63 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:19 AM
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

I've ran Dragon and Diablo Corsa (medium compound) on the street, they work great in relatively warm weather but I found them getting hard before I wore through the tread.
I've also ran 211GP's on the the street; they wanted a lot of heat before they even started to function properly (go figure, its a race tire) and I wouldn't advise riding on them in any weather colder than 80*F.

I prefer MP-2CT for street use, far superior to any race tire(on the street) unless the individual just pulled his bike out of the garage with tire warmers on. Corsa III's are also a favorite though I purchase which ever of the two I can find on sale at the time (Corsa III/MP-2CT).

-Ryan

post #64 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 10:19 AM
...Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
Yup, we are all guilty of that! But never too early to mature, you know. As for changing your "Rear" profile, you really wont need to for a few track days. It will take at least that long to start really getting agressive in the corners. Then when you do make the change, your gonna love it.
Thanks Scott,. I cant wait to get some experience on the track. Now I'lll stop jacking this thread.

CMRA #713
post #65 of 94 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 09:52 PM
yamah FTL

211s = FTW

cannot go wrong with 211s. they dont' take ridiculously long to warm up. at least for me and my friends

I used to be a Yamaha fan, till they screwed me over.
post #66 of 94 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:09 PM
got tickets?

209 GP warm up quick and stick like glue.

(R1-014 DRAGON SQUADRON #60)

Last edited by punchjamesarnol; 02-05-2009 at 10:14 PM.
post #67 of 94 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Trackdays FTW

BT003r also do surprisingly well on the street, as long as your running type 3 or type 4. IF you have type 1 or type 2 do not use them on the streets. Those compounds require high operating temperatures and wont give you much grip until you get them really hot(which you most likely wont) and heat cycles play a much larger role in the harder compound tires. I think this holds up for any DOT's soft or medium will be fine for the streets
post #68 of 94 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Binning it

after nearly 2 weeks of 40+ deg C days (road temp is 55+) we have had nearly a week where road temp is like 5-7 deg C. You guys who dont have this temp fluctuation are lucky !

On a positive note, I get to slide around on cold tyres on my road bike.

Sumomoto Tyre warmers/customer service/warranty... GARBAGE
post #69 of 94 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 03:40 PM
I,m too old for this ****!

Its been a while since I last posted. On my first post on page one I made reference to using Michelin Power Race Mediums on the street and how well they worked for me in my climate and circumstances. Particularly versus the Power Pilots. some time back i got a good deal on Bridgestone's 002's and decided to give them a try. Originaly very dissapointed while running the same pressure as on the Michelins. (34F 32R) Tried going up/down and different combinations all to no avail, I couldn't get comfortable with them. I felt much slower than with the Michelin Race Mediums. After 400-600 miles I finally settled on 30PSI Rear and 32PSI front and they feel great now. As I had tried that combination before, I atttribute the improvement to 1) having gotten used to the slightly different profile and turn-in response, 2) actual improvement from being more worn-in.
this has happened in the past with the Michelin Pilot Powers also, the first 300-500 miles were not too good. The Michelin Power Race were good after the first 25 miles or so, and stayed good until the cord showed (!!!). Now I'll have to wait and see how long the 002's remain "good" vs. the Michelins. if I get an additional 2000 miles out of the Bridgestones, then it is a matter of which is cheaper at the time, if not, it's back to the Michelins.

"Speak softly, but ride like hell!"
post #70 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Sinner & Saint racing crew

my 2 ct, i've ran PP, PP2ct, bridgestone BT 014, and now BT 002Rs on the street( and track ). i prefer the 002rs. will get about 2200/2400 miles with
press. at 32 psi frt. 30 psi rear. ( I live in mid FL.) i use tire warmers when i'm at the track.

the only pressure i have is in my tires

CCS#647
post #71 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 02:13 PM

Glad the 002's work for you. Mine ended up lasting to the 2400 mile (rear) mark but were not too good for the last 400 or so. So, "good" miles were only 1600 or so. I'm back to the Michelin Race Mediums. Got a good, good deal on two fronts and three rears, so I ought to be set for another year or so if they don't go kablooey in storage.
I hear the newer Bridgestones 003's are better than the 002's, but I won't be trying them anytime soon with my present stock of tires. BTW, I'm back to 32R, 34F pressures on the Michelins.

post #72 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 02:31 PM
There can be only One

quick question
how come you all talk about a 55tyre steeper profile quicker turning etc etc
then with your next breaths talk aout pressures of 30R 32F even on the road
aren't you just taking pressure out which will lessen the profile by increasing the contact patch?
not a critisism - just a question - as like most i'm in neverland with tyres, feeling and pressures......
currently running Pirelli Dragon Supercorsas and hate them, its mostly wet, damp or cold over here so i need a good tyre for that (reliable) but will grip in the dry well, yes i scrape knees on the street so i want to be able to have some fun.
and as for tyre pressures pirelli and yamaha bother recommend 36F 42R so why wouldn't i run that pressure.
to be honest i'm currently running 34F 36R

ps i weigh 16stone and no its not fat

post #73 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 11:06 AM

r6gr8t1: What's this 16 stone bit? Some medieval form of weight measuring? Come on..! You criticize our tire preessures but give us your weight in stones???

Just kidding you! You have some valid questions, even as you say you're in neverland with tires. I'll attempt to give you some answer, but don't take it as gospel, as I'm not an evangelist. This is my opinion and NOT advice. Actually, DON'T do as I do. I'm just trying to explain why I do it.

I BELIEVE motorcycle (and tire) manufacturers are VERY scared of liability issues.
I believe they make their recommendations for tire pressures based on a worst case scenario. Namely, a 275 lb. rider, carrying a 250 lb. passenger (pillion to you Brits). Then you definitely need the 36F 42 R recommended by Yamaha, and even then you're probably overloaded and should not go very high speed ever or fairly high for very long. Tire pressures determines tire flex. More flex= more heat. Too much heat=no good. Why speed requires higher pressures? For a given mile a tire will rotate only so many times, but as you go faster, it will rotate this many times in less time. So it heats up more. Again, heat past a certain point =no good.

Now, I don't weigh but 165 lbs. Don't know what that is in "stones". I never take a passenger. I do very little highway riding or sustained high speeds (over 100 MPH) and most of my riding is in the twisties at really much more like 45-70 MPH. I've arrived to 30R, 32F by experimentation. I've tried everything higher or lower and these pressures seem to give me and my R-1 the best handling combination for the riding I do. This willl vary according to bike, riding style, make and model of tires (see my post on the Bridgestone's 002's) and so on. I'm not alone, all my buddies using the same Michelin Power Race tires have ended up with the same pressures after experimentation. Again, this will vary, and only YOU can determine what works for you.

I hope this hasn't confused you more. Maybe others in the forum can pipe in and explain better.

As for the profile change in contact patch, there's still a difference between the 180/55 and the 190/50 if I put them both at the same pressure. And normally I'd have the bigger tire at slightly lower pressure anyhow.

Tally-ho!

Luis

P.S. I'm so short my knees only touch the ground if I fall off, which I try not to do.

post #74 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 11:19 AM
There can be only One

16 stone = 224 pounds
cheers for the info, think i need to do more cardio and less weights and get my weight back to 195 pounds.

also had a bad low side 2 yrs ago in the damp so my confidence is all over the place. i'm trying to collate as much info as possible to help build myself back up.

before the crash i had no chicken strips, currently they are about an inch either side but i'm not getting the feeling from the tyres to go further.

ah well i'll digest more answers and between them all come up with some trials of my own.

but thanks for the strting point

who'd of though i'd been riding sports bikes for 20yrs

post #75 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 11:28 AM

Hey, I'll be 58 soon and I've been riding them since before the term was invented!

Cafe racers in the late sixties and early seventies. My 1974 RD-350 was my first with clip-ons for the road.

post #76 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 12:08 PM
There can be only One

mine was a zxr 750 after a nsr 125

post #77 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 06:40 AM
Lets go drag a knee!

In the last 4 years ive ran Pirelli Supercorsa's sco-sc3 and never had an issue. Deals gap, hwy 421 and other great twisties. Ive got about 3000 miles outta them too. I dont do straight too much unless its headed to the mountains. I think the race tires are great. After about 2 or 3 curves they are heated up. I trust those tires better than street tires.

No officer,that wasnt me....
post #78 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 06:43 AM
There can be only One

i think in the dry they would be fine but lately its rarely dry to find out - sick of the rain

post #79 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 11:36 AM
I Go Fast

yea, just make sure they tires are up to temperature before getting aggressive
post #80 of 94 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 12:17 AM
I luv my R1

Very informative thread. Had a '90 Fzr 400, and my brother had an 88 fz600, had rd's as well. I really regret selling the 400, badass little bike. Ironically, we both have 03 R1's the satanic editions. anyhoo, I used take offs for alot of bikes I had, fairly aggressive street riding. I changed em frequently, as they were cheap (usually after 500 or so miles.) Now that im older and no longer immortal, im more cautious about tire choice. Im curious if there is a consensus on it? I live in colorado, our weather has wild swings here, most of the riding I do is in the 45 to 85 mph range. but its alot of straight sections to get up to the canyons and moutains. Im contemplating just biting the bullet and trying the new Q2's. Also I notice not a whole lot of people on dunlops though. Sorry bout the long-winded post.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode