track tires on the street - Page 5 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Tire Tech Forum Everything tire related post it here.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 94 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 11:33 PM
...Ready

This is straight from a reputable shop around Houston, the race tire dealer backed up this statement as well.

"Race tires work in a higher and narrower band of temperature than street tires.
Race tires run on the street will probably not come fully up to temp and will be subjected to a bunch of heat cycles, further degrading their performance."

CMRA #713
@willzamora713 - Instagram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 94 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 09:14 PM
2009 R1 FTW

Power ones are awesome they grip very well in cold and wet conditions and heat up quick
post #83 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 05:02 AM
Crazy Tuner

I use every day Continental Race Attack...

..you know?

I like it and it's so good!!!

I T A L I A N B O Y

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #84 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 05:34 AM
There can be only One

A Year and some old post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #85 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 06:00 AM
Track is best

Tyres for the Street

I just fitted some Dunlpo Qualifier II's to my 09 R1. Whilst they took a few miles to remove the slippery coating now this is done they are awsome. Here in Enlgand it is not warm or dry and these are superb! They have bucket loads of grip (even in the cold and wet), they warm up realy very quickly and give loads of feedback which gives lots of confidence. This is exactly what you need in a tyre and I challenge anyone to really need anything more for the road...I can;t wait to try them out on the track!
post #86 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Vrooom

^^^ Good feedback I am also looking for something new that will be more street friendly as currently I'm running the bt 002s and as soon as the temps drop I tippy toe around, but I absolutely love them on the track.

Have no Heroes, look up to no one, because if someone is always leading the way, the best you'll ever be is 2nd.
post #87 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 11:33 PM
R190-`Tyre Fryer`

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6gr8t1 View Post
how come you all talk about a 55tyre steeper profile quicker turning etc etc
then with your next breaths talk aout pressures of 30R 32F even on the road
aren't you just taking pressure out which will lessen the profile by increasing the contact patch?
not a critisism - just a question - as like most i'm in neverland with tyres, feeling and pressures......
currently running Pirelli Dragon Supercorsas and hate them, its mostly wet, damp or cold over here so i need a good tyre for that (reliable) but will grip in the dry well, yes i scrape knees on the street so i want to be able to have some fun.
and as for tyre pressures pirelli and yamaha bother recommend 36F 42R so why wouldn't i run that pressure.
to be honest i'm currently running 34F 36R
dunno where you got your recommended pressures for a diablo or dragon supercorsa pro from... your pressures are WAY to high for that tyre which is probably why you hate them

i run about 30psi hot front and 28psi hot rear (subtract 5psi for track cold setting or about 4psi for cold street setting) use for compounds SC1 front and SC2 rear

if you want setup information from people who actually race on these tyres try diabloracer.com

http://www.diabloracer.com/phpBB3/vi....php?f=8&t=111

Quote:
Start with hot pressures 31f / 26r. 60 min on the warmers @ 170f.
it is kind of funny to talk about tyre profile and tip in and low pressures affecting carcass flex and how you hate these tyres when you are running pressures suited for a commuting bike running BT021 commuting tyres in your R1 with race tyres!

i suggest that if you ARE dragging knee on the street and havent crashed you can thank those tyres for performing adequately despite your poor setup knowledge!

finally neither the diablo nor dragon supercorsa pro is a wet! they are for dry tarmac.. from what i read i think you might be better off with a BT045.. they are a great commuting tyre require very little temperature, stick awesome in the wet and give good milage i run them on my 350cc 2T commuter and if you stick your knee right out and hang off like a monkey you will drag knee with them too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavisr1 View Post
22nd Jan 2006: i have it hooked to my horn button and i flip the MPS switch by my left leg and tur it on and hold the horn button under full throttle and wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooo
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavisr1 View Post
3rd Aug 2006: Please be the plugs please be the plugs please be the plugs please be the plugs please....well you get the Idea.......

Last edited by r1_dav3; 01-11-2010 at 11:44 PM.
post #88 of 94 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:57 PM
fast

how about diablo supercorsa SC2 on the road when rain/wet ??

2013 R1200GS LC - street
2015 ZX10R - street
2006 GSXR1000 - track
post #89 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 01:33 AM
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjack View Post
I hear ya. RDs, FZs, FZRs, If only we could keep them all.
Are they Jeans your wearing with your knee down, you must have BIG Gahoona's!!!!!!!!
post #90 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 11:53 AM
My R1 doesn't eat me

You can run race tires if you take the time to warm them and dont push them to their limits. I wouldnt drag my knee on the street anyway. There is no trophy at the end of the road right?
post #91 of 94 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 05:37 PM
There is nothing like racing

Send a message via AIM to MellowYellow Send a message via Yahoo to MellowYellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanaga View Post
how about diablo supercorsa SC2 on the road when rain/wet ??
and DOT race type IMO sucks for damp wet conditions on the street. I did however last year go into turn 1 at thunderhill at the same time a microburst happened. Not a darn thing happened- no slippage nothing. I attribute that to I had the tires at operating temps and I did not do any dramatic input (mainly because I was paralyzed with fear )

Proud Father of a US soldier
AFM#953
post #92 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 05:54 AM
R1 Dominates

dont use track on street in cold unless you use tire warmers on the rear
i high sided 2 blocks from my house making a turn a 6mph thats right 6mph with traction control on.
it was like i slipped on an ice rink.
they are scary slippery! tires are the Bridgestone s-20, temp about high 30s F

Last edited by peterj59; 12-01-2012 at 06:15 AM.
post #93 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 09:53 AM
I eat my chicken stripes

Send a message via MSN to Chop
I always ride with the GP Racers D211. If you tend them and use em for the twisties and not powerslides, wheelies, highspeed runs and etc, they last suprisingly long too.

R1 2008 Graphite Grey
PP Tuning Rearsets GP // Power Commander 3 // Race Baffles // LeoVince Y Pipe // MRA DB Screen // Pillion Cowl // Pazzo shorties // stainless steel rear lines // Ohlins front Springs+Oil // Fiberglass body custom painted // Dunlop GP Racer 211

Trackday fotos:

and

post #94 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 01:21 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

track tires on the street

I'll use my Dunlop GPA DOT racers on the street if it's warm to hot out... No problem.. I just put a little heat in them first before I use them hard....... There definitely greasy if it's cold out though....

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode