track tires on the street - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Tire Tech Forum Everything tire related post it here.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
The Gift that Keeps On Giving

track tires on the street

how many of you guys ride with track tires on the street?

What's the difference between a Harley and a vacuume?
The position of the dirt bag!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Moderatorasfcvk

Define track tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37
Frank and I are Bag of Dicks twins!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 09:44 AM
My R1 already ate me

I am guessing something with no tread.

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

sorry no i meant a very soft tire like the Dunlop 209GPA Tires

post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 09:49 AM
My R1 already ate me

I had some track tires on the R6 when I still had it. They did pretty well in the summer. As soon as it got a little colder they became an issue. You have to heat them up for them to perform as they should so they are not ideal for the whole season.
Cheapshot likes this.
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 09:53 AM
My R1 eats my wallet

Why? Dont do it. Track tyres are funnily enough designed for the track. High performance road tyres are designed for the road. Tyre companies spend millions on development and are pretty good at developing tyres for certain conditions. Track tyres will not perform as well on the road as they are designed to work at a certain temperature.
Cheapshot likes this.
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Brake later, Gas earlier.

DOT race tires/take offs work just fine for the street. technology in tires these days pretty much makes them able to last til the wear bars despite how many heat cycles they go through.

like all tires, just dont get silly until you get them warmed up.
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

I had purchased my new to me R1 and it already came with these tires. Ill ride them till there gone, Im just afraid ill lose it one day because of them being cold. Ive broken lose twice just because i forgot about them. I guess only time will tell if I buy another tire like this but Im guessing no.

post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

but they stick like a mutha when they're warm

post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Drink Sparks, Die Young.

If u like highsides do it

Pretend Irish Roadracers Cycle Club

Ducati 748/996
Ducati M750
post #11 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 02:30 PM
anything on two wheels

I ride 208 gps. They do need tlc from warm up time to pressure. Their also designed for clean surfaces and no wet. Aside from that, I love them. Rode the new bike with the Mich. that came on it and then another bike with old and worn gps and though needing replacement I preffered the feel of the old gps. Tire preferance can be a very personnel thing.

post #12 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Forum Moderator

My view is not to do it. There are so many "HyperSport" tires on the market today you don't have to. The Bridgstone BT-002RS, Corsa III and 2CT's are all awesome tires for hardcore street riding. They warm up very fast too.

D.O.T. race rubber is meant for the track and to be used with tire warmers all day to keep heat cycles to a minimum. On the street you put repeated heat cycles in your tires each time you stop for 10 minutes or more. Race rubber requires lot's of heat on both sides of the tire for them to stick properly which is very hard to do on the street. You will never get the required heat in them riding the street. As more and more heat cycles are put into them the rubber will actually get harder. Also, they are crap on wet roads due to reduced tread grooves. I know there are some pretty good deals on eBay for take off's, but I would not use them on the street.

Rest in Peace Glenn "Elvis" Breaux - June, 17th 2007 and Chad Clifton - June, 25th 2008. You will always be with me when I ride. I will never forget you.

post #13 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Yamaha blue, in any color.

Send a message via Yahoo to DanQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
My view is not to do it. There are so many "HyperSport" tires on the market today you don't have to. The Bridgstone BT-002RS, Corsa III and 2CT's are all awesome tires for hardcore street riding. They warm up very fast too.

D.O.T. race rubber is meant for the track and to be used with tire warmers all day to keep heat cycles to a minimum. On the street you put repeated heat cycles in your tires each time you stop for 10 minutes or more. Race rubber requires lot's of heat on both sides of the tire for them to stick properly which is very hard to do on the street. You will never get the required heat in them riding the street. As more and more heat cycles are put into them the rubber will actually get harder. Also, they are crap on wet roads due to reduced tread grooves. I know there are some pretty good deals on eBay for take off's, but I would not use them on the street.
+1. 100% all the way.

I have run 208 GPa's on the street, and they don't heat up fast enough for street use. And like Skeeter said, cycling those things too often will cause them to wear prematurely.

You can run them on the street, but I wouldn't advise it. There are plenty of good tires made for the street. DOT race should be on the track.

My two cents.

Signature by SpidermanSS. Thanks Shane!

Dan

CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
05 Vmax 20th Anniversary 98 of 2000
04 Road Star Warrior

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
post #14 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 03:36 AM
Binning it

I wouldnt use a 209 or a 211. They are slippery when cold- boardering on scary and im used to sliding cold DOT's.

Im currently on SC2's. They warm up OK for a DOT but take forever in the wet but once warm are pretty good. I have worn and heat cycled the front and its a bit iffy now but its probably at a pace most people would cring at on the street.

Im going back to Metzeler racetec's, nearly as quick warm up as PP's, last longer, more grip that is consistent. You wont heat cycle these!!! The only disadvantage I find with these is you cant ride as fast in the wet compared to PP's but I can ride as fast as im willing to go on the road anyway. They cost about $50 AU more but I get a shit load more mileage, less slides etc etc.

Depends on your climate too.

I dont go for rides when its wet, but if it rains I dont park the bike, I ride it. Just hate pulling the bike out in the wet and would rather do other things
post #15 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

209 gp take offs for sale.
With now knowing about the heat cycles I want to take them off. And yes they are scary slippery before warm up. Im more of a daily rider and i feel take ill ruin the tire very quickly. Plus if im out in the rain my tires shouldnt stop me from riding.
ive had the pp maybe ill get the pp ct's.

post #16 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Binning it

You will probably wear them before you heat cycle them!

Unless your pounding your bike in the twisties. I know of 1 guy who uses his bike in the rain with 209 ntec's
post #17 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:29 PM
More gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost R1 View Post
If u like highsides do it
How would using a race take off on the street cause/or be likely to cause a highside?

Misti

"With head uplifted I shall strike the stars!"
Octavio Paz
post #18 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 04:45 PM
I,m too old for this ****!

I ride on Michelin MEDIUM race tires, front and rear. I can only compare them to the whatever dunlops that came on my new 2004 R-1 and with the later replacements with Michelin H-2's and later, Pilot Powers. I have not tried 2CT's. My seat-of-the-pants feeling is that I can ride much faster much more comfortably (meaning confidently) with the H-2's and now the MEDIUM RACE than with any of the others. My riding buddies seem to agree that I'm much more fluid and faster on the Race tires. It was harder work riding fast on the Pilot Powers than the RACE tires. After 15 minutes or so of aggresive riding the PP would get greasy and start sliding, and not too predictably at that. I get about 2000-2300 miles out of the rear and 2200- 2500 out of the front from the race tires. The PP's would last about 4000 miles, but the first 500 were no good, and the last 1000 neither. So, 2500 good miles and not as good as the race tires anyhow, which are good from the get go.
Now, for those of you who are reading the whole thing BEFORE jumping on my case, let me tell you that I live in Puerto Rico. A cool day for us is 70 degrees. It is always warm. Even in the mountains, when the air temperature may be 80, the black road surface is at least 90 and probably 110. At my house the temp. has never been below 67, so maybe the heat cycles are not as drastic down here.
In the rain, I don't push it. We have so many sunny days that the occasional rain is a good time to take it easy, particularly considering the rest of the traffic.
I'm not trying to influence anybody to use or not race tires in the street, just relating my own experiences with them. In my area, with my circumstances and riding style they are great. In the frozen North results may be different.

"Speak softly, but ride like hell!"
post #19 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 07:23 AM
anything on two wheels

I want to amend my comments by saying my street rides consist of a couple of dawn patroll weekend jaunts on roads that I know like Rossi knows Estoril. If I was commuting to work on a bike I wouldn't waist premium rubber.

post #20 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 07:34 AM
Track addict!

Send a message via AIM to AnonymousR1
I ride 209GP's on the street and have had no issues with them..

-Sig complements of Buddyluv-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode