Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Show us your Chicken Strips

276K views 3K replies 241 participants last post by  Smitty965 
#1 ·
Hey guys, post pix of your chicken strips....:rock

#568 ·
We had our first (full track) track day at the new track.

Even with the new suspension my tire wear is like last year, but other guys had similar tearing to what they had last year. This year was quite chilly, but last year was hot. The results were the same though.

The Slicks posted are my rear (200 Pirelli Superbike slick), and the DOT is a Pirelli (200) as well. We both run them at 26psi, we both ride 600's (he's on a Honda), and we're both running the same pace in the 'expert' group.

My left side, I have some rollover (or whatever it's called) on the leading edge of my dimples. But other than that, I'm pleased with my tire wear on my new suspension bits.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

#570 ·
The slicks look good at full lean, half lean could use some tweaking, don't ask me what though I just think it does (still learning slicks :secret:)

The DOTs I need better pictures though

#577 ·
Marcelo hit them accurately as far as I can see (besides, we've been texting back and forth).

Did you set sag front and rear? If yes, a small rebound adjustment should be all you need.

#593 ·
I would leave the damping alone and double check the rear sag. If lowering the front helped, it's possible your swingarm is too flat.

The interesting thing is the right and left sides are different a little on the rear. So either the right turns are different, or there is something else going on. The front looks like it could benefit from either raising the rear some or lowering the front. But the damping on the front is really close to dead on perfect. Those 30mm Ohlins perform great when tuned well. Periodic service (every year or two max) will keep everything performing it's best.

#598 ·
You tires Shawn look pretty good, both front and rear

Your friends i see i slight raise at the grooves which is rebound a bit too fast, other than that it all looks good as well :fact

#600 ·
You tires Shawn look pretty good, both front and rear

Your friends i see i slight raise at the grooves which is rebound a bit too fast, other than that it all looks good as well :fact

Look closer. The sipes closer to the edge are worn down at front. :secret:

Attachments

#599 · (Edited)
I think my front look okay. But, if you look closer at the rear tire, it looks like there's leading edge ridge too. Though, maybe not as pronounced as his. I was intermediate, and he was advanced.

#604 ·
God damnt, I got called :bs on it and lost :lol

GSXR rear tire is showing shock service needs as well

#607 ·
Aside from the leading edge wear, I'm not seeing it on why the rear shock needs work and what kind of work. :dunno

If it's only the leading edge, then my rear tire also exhibits the same. Albeit to a lesser degree. Though, I should say forks and shock was serviced while my engine was rebuilt earlier this year. Just haven't had a chance to do anything yet, as i need to finish work on the bike before it's track-worthy.

#608 ·
But, circled in yellow so everyone can see. These usually indicate a compression issue. Combined with the different wear toward the center, the shock is likely in need of service and a good tune.

Attachments

#609 ·
Is that the same as the triangle on the leading edge of the sipe like this picture?

Or, more along the lines of front/rear edge wear on different sipes as discussed a couple pages back? Just trying ti get a better understanding.

#612 ·
I'm not a fan of missing things like this, no :lol

You should :fact

#621 ·
Can't really see much of the groove but from that view it's looking good.

Are you trusting this rear as much as your slick?

#624 ·
I'm enjoying the direction this has taken, so I feel obligated to contribute. I know my suspension is stuffed and for the moment I dont care as BST's are on the way, so I'll be starting from scratch anyway but I thought if its something for the tyre readers to gawk at why not! Tire Automotive tire Wheel Rim Alloy wheel

Dunlop Sport Smart 2. Road riding only generally run 32-34 cold.

#625 ·
Is it odd how the leading edge of the sipes are chewed out but then in the centre of the tyre the leading edge is lifted?

#627 ·
Not odd at all, a few issues altogether would case this bud.

Street tires are a bit difficult to read since you don't deal with pavement only, there's debris, highway, potholes, etc to be dealt with.

One of the cause of that is that the shock is a bit "lost" on what it's doing, asking for it to be serviced.

How old is the suspension and when was it last serviced?

#629 ·
yeah looks like his new ktm superduke

#630 ·
Damn Aussies love sleeping during the day time :lol

If it is a brand new bike we do need to play with it for a bit, it would be better if he tracked it though

#632 ·
Sorry guys I'm racing this weekend and dont have much time, I'll reply to everything this week and I'll post my chicken strip and results as well

#633 ·
All right, just got home

I'll read through the posts later, im exhausted but just wanted to show you guys my tires from the weekend before i forgot it all :lol

Dunlop GP212A (UK) 17 psi off warmers, sliding it on exits, traction control on 7 (out of 10) working a lot, tired gained 2psi reading 19psi at the end of the race
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Tread Automotive wheel system

Tire wasnt showing overheating signs, but was wearing in the grooves

Started with 18 off warmers for the next two races, TC was on 5 and dropped it to 4 throughout the races, tire gained 1psi, up to 19 as well. Sliding still, however a more controlled slide.

First race with 18psi
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Tread Automotive exterior

Second with 18psi, pretty much all gone
Tire Automotive tire Tread Bicycle tire Auto part

And the end result for the weekend, 4 races, 4 wins. :)

In order, Heavyweight SuperSport, Middleweight GP, Middleweight SuperSport, Middleweight SuperBike
Metal Brass Sculpture Figurine Team

#634 ·
:thumbup

Nice going. Though, is tire pressure really run that low? I was thinking low to mid 20's was more on par for averages? :dunno

#638 ·
The new 212 is a real low pressure tire, i was a bit sketched out at first too.

What exactly are we looking at Marcelo? The raise on the tread groove?
I don't see it either

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
No readings, just wanted to show you guys. The grooves wore in on both sides a bit, but it was more of a traction issue without the tire overheating. Usually when you start losing the rear the tire will show hot teras, and this one wasnt. Problem fixed with with a simple psi increase

#635 ·
Congrats on the wins Marcelo. Well done.

I'm going to take a stab at reading your tires. First thing I notice is that the rebound is a too fast. Second is that there is noticeable wear on the radial groves and small triangles on the outside groves. This indicates a compression issue.

#640 · (Edited)
All right I'm off for for a few weekends now (never thought I would say this, but thankfully) but will definitely pay attention to how the tire starts to mold itself next round