Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Show us your Chicken Strips

276K views 3K replies 241 participants last post by  Smitty965 
#1 ·
Hey guys, post pix of your chicken strips....:rock

#1,255 ·
The shock on your year is actually quite nice. If it had ride height I'd say they hit the mark 10 for 10. Without it the shock is still a solid 9; whereas the forks are probably a solid 7 in my book because of the hard to work with progressive springs.

That being said I believe most folks will benefit the most from a straight rate spring nothing else really "needed" at that point. A lot of trimming and tuning can take place with fresh oil. Maybe a racing 2.5wt or even a 5wt on the stock valving will give you the damping speeds you need.

If you look at the Suspension 101 thread and most of my overall tuning advice, you will see that I lay things out as:

• sag (geometry)
  • rebound
  • compression
  • balance
After that, it's all about rider preferences and tire wear (what this thread has turned into).

When you look at it from that standpoint and look at the variables and consider the fact that the springs set everything up, and the rebound valving controls the spring, thus the traction and feedback; you can see the order of precedence setting itself up. That doesn't mean that every spring is going to require a rebound valve change. You can go a spring rate or two without having to change rebound valving. If you need a .90kg/mm through 1.0kg/mm spring on the late model; I would just change springs and see how it goes for a season. If you know you are going to race the machine, then get all the valving custom done up front so you have tuning options. Otherwise, run it and find out what it needs, if anything. The measurements, baseline and fine tuning will tell you what you "need".

As far as kits or parts; take your pick. I've done a lot of Race Tech work, and Traxxion Dynamics, Ohlins, GP Suspension and several others offer kits that can be installed by the end user. If you are looking for custom work, then Graves, Race Tech, and Dave Moss Tuning all have good service and review.

Hell, I've dropped about enough names. Now I gotta tell these folks they owe me a beer :lol

#1,259 ·
What the hell is this?!
A shallow cut in the carcass. Keep an eye on it, but if it doesn't go into the cords of the belts, I would not worry.

First track day

30 psi front and rear Dunlop Q3s

Look normal. Any info ?
Pressures seem decent, but the rebound in the rear is a touch slow (click or two, no major deal). Overall look decent. Can't tell much on the front.

#1,258 ·
First track day

30 psi front and rear Dunlop Q3s

Look normal. Any info ?

Automotive tire Tire Automotive exterior Auto part Bumper
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive wheel system
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Rim Auto part
Tire Green Automotive tire Yellow Wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycle fairing Automotive tire

#1,262 ·
Either manufacture defect or you grabbed something in the way

#1,263 ·
#1,264 ·
Sorry guys I'm racing this weekend (last race weekend for this guy) and hopefully sealing one more championship

Thanks to DanQ for covering me here and helping me this weekend :fact

#1,265 ·
Good luck Marcelo!

#1,270 ·
Tire looks good bud :thumbup

Two of the front and two of the rear. Completely stock suspension (besides shim - see below.) I know I need adjustments. Tried to keep it around 30psi front and 28PSI rear off the track. Stock qualifier 2 in front and Q3 in the rear.

On a side note I decided to give the rear shock shim a try and it definitely give way better turn it BUT, woth a 5mm shim it was cause front end vibration entering turn from the geometry change. Too much load on the front I'd say. As soon as I got on the gas coming out, the vibration went away everytime.

I'm going to drop it down to 2.5mm shim. If not time for suspension upgrades. Sugestions? Working on getting linear spring for mt forks. I'm 5'10 and between 195-200lbs. Suggestion on spring rate as well? Thanks Dan and Marcelo!
Slow rebound rear for sure

Now i cant really see the front too well, but i think im spotting slow rebound as well. Can you get me better pics?

#1,268 · (Edited)
Two of the front and two of the rear. Completely stock suspension (besides shim - see below.) I know I need adjustments. Tried to keep it around 30psi front and 28PSI rear off the track. Stock qualifier 2 in front and Q3 in the rear.

On a side note I decided to give the rear shock shim a try and it definitely give way better turn it BUT, woth a 5mm shim it was cause front end vibration entering turn from the geometry change. Too much load on the front I'd say. As soon as I got on the gas coming out, the vibration went away everytime.

I'm going to drop it down to 2.5mm shim. If not time for suspension upgrades. Sugestions? Working on getting linear spring for mt forks. I'm 5'10 and between 195-200lbs. Suggestion on spring rate as well? Thanks Dan and Marcelo!

Attachments

#1,272 ·
I'm still seeing cross eyed from the weekend :lol

I'm off my game here :lol

#1,281 ·

Tire looks clean, I might be spotting a tad bit of fast rebound but would need Dans opinion on this though

#1,294 ·
Spent another day at NC BIKE this past weekend..... it was an open day so rode a little bit more, got about 125 miles in (I still don't have the stamina like some of these guys do....sheeeesh!). As I've gotten a little faster here lately the bike started to feel like it just didn't want to turn in. I could slow down a little bit and it felt fine, but pick it up a little bit and it felt like it just didn't want to turn. Knee would be on the ground and it felt like the bike was going straight. Tightened up the comp on the rear one turn, which maxed it out, and it did indeed feel a good bit better. So I think I really just need to refresh everything in there

Oh well, still had a great time :) Probably gonna be heading to Jennings here in a couple weeks too

#1,296 ·
This one is a mix. You can find spots of both slow and fast rebound, which a shock simply cant do if working properly. Rear shock needs some servicing.

To the OP. By the looks of the front tire, you can lean that bike harder entering the corner :fact

#1,300 ·
Well I can't even come close to those of you with track pics but...

Doing some mountain riding in CO... I couldn't go too wild because it was all unfamiliar and I had bags (not to mention being 1000 miles from home,) but I scrubbed them clean off

I'm pretty proud of this one though. A Ducati 999 rolled up on me just before we went through a business park with tons of twists. This is an air cooled 2000 Katana 600 with a whopping 82hp. He revved at me, and when the light turned green, he roared off. As we hit our first sweeper I came in close, and when it switched back I passed him on the inside (it was a four lane so I had tons of room) and just walked away from there.

We hit the next red light and he turned right without looking at me and flew away as fast as it'd take him down the road.

I like to think he had tears running down his face :)

#1,310 ·
Ugh that tire is in rough shape.

I can't speak for myself when it comes to Bridgestone, but I do know a few people who would never ride the R10 again because of their unpredictability.

Now your tire is showing a few different symptoms here. Fast rebound, along with some over heating. What was the pressure off warmers and off track?